Status: On hiatus

No Such Thing as Too Young

Chapter 6

The first time I’ve seen love,
And the last I’ll ever need.
“Kissing in Cars” – Pierce the Veil

I couldn’t move; couldn’t breathe. I was frozen in shock. Vic pulled away quickly, looking horrified. Then he pushed past me and ran.

I shook myself out of my daze and turned around. “VIC!” I yelled, starting to run after him. “Vic, wait!”

I eventually caught up with him outside the house. I grabbed his arm and yanked him around to face me.

“Kellin, I- I’m so sorry, I- I didn’t,” he stuttered. I didn’t say anything, I just leaned in and kissed him myself. What was I doing? I had no idea, but I knew it felt right.

Vic stiffened up at first, surprised, but a second later he was tentatively kissing me back. I wrapped an arm around his back and pulled him into me, trying to show him that it was okay, this was what I wanted.

Eventually we both pulled away, breathing heavily. “Kellin,” he began. “I didn’t know you were- I thought you were straight.”

“I don’t want to think about my sexuality right now,” I replied. “I don’t care. All I know is that I’ve liked you for a while now and I know this feels right. It doesn’t matter if we’re both guys. I don’t care.” Vic didn’t say anything, just tilted his head towards me and kissed me again.

“I didn’t know you liked me,” he said softly.

“Neither did I,” I admitted. “I mean, I realise it now, but I’ve always just brushed off the feelings. I didn’t really consider what they meant.”

“Well, I’ve liked you for a while too,” he said, looking away. “I knew I was gay and so I knew what the feelings meant, since I’m used to liking guys.”

“So,” I said curiously, stepping backwards a bit. “When you said before that you haven’t kissed a girl, does that mean you’ve kissed guys?”

“Um… no,” he said, going red.

“That was your first kiss?” I asked. He nodded, turning even redder.

“Well, I must say that you are a pretty damn good kisser for someone so inexperienced.”

“Thanks,” he laughed. “You know, I’m glad my first kiss was with you.”

I didn’t really have anything to say to that and I was too afraid that I might start crying and make things stupid if I opened my mouth so I just took his hand and squeezed it. This might not have been my first kiss, but it was probably the one that meant the most. I’ve dated and kissed girls before and some of them really meant something and I really liked them, but this was just… different. None of those girls had been my best friend beforehand, and I feel like that just made it more special.

Wow Kellin, way to make it sappy.

“Uh, I don’t really want to go back into the party,” said Vic awkwardly after a few seconds. “Not after running out the way I did.”

“No, of course not,” I replied. “Well I’m kinda hungry so do you wanna walk to McDonald’s and get something to eat? I know it’s dark but it’s not far from here and I’ve got some money.”

“Yeah, sounds good. I’m starving.”

“And afterwards, do you maybe wanna come over to my place for a sleepover?” I asked. “I can text my mum and ask her to pick us both up from McDonald’s when we’re done.”

“Yeah, if you’re sure your mum will be okay with that.”

“Of course she will be, she always is.”

“So, what do you wanna do?” I asked later that night after we’d showered and dressed in our pyjamas. Well, my pyjamas. Vic borrowed a pair since we didn’t stop at his house to pick anything up for him.

“I dunno, what do you wanna do?” Vic replied lazily. He was stretched out on my bed and he looked like he was about to fall asleep on it, even though his mattress was set up on the floor beside my bed.

“How about a movie?” I suggested, grabbing my laptop. “Move over, fatty,” I said as I shoved him over and lay down beside him on the bed. “What do you wanna watch?”

“Do you have any Disney movies?” Vic asked.

“Um, I have The Fox and the Hound.”

“Let’s watch that.”

I flipped open my laptop and found the movie in one of my folders. I’ve got no idea why he wanted to watch a Disney movie, but whatever.

Before I turned it on I placed the laptop on my bedside table for a second and pulled my blankets over the two of us and snuggled a little bit closer to Vic before sitting the laptop on our laps and clicking on the movie.

A few minutes later, Vic leaned his head over towards me and rested it on my shoulder. I couldn’t help creeping my hand towards his and loosely entwining my fingers with his. We fell asleep like that, and everything felt perfect.