Status: On hiatus

No Such Thing as Too Young

Chapter 7

If luck is on my side tonight,
My clumsy tongue will make it right,
And wrists that touch, it isn’t much
But it’s enough.
“I Swear This Time I Mean It” – Mayday Parade

We woke up the next morning still lying in my bed, my computer on our laps and Vic’s head on my shoulder with my head leaning on his.

“Good morning,” I mumbled as Vic stirred and yawned next to me.

“Morning. What’s the time?”

“It’s… eleven-thirty.”

“What the fuck, I’m usually an early bird.”

“Big night, I guess.”

“Yeah. So, what’s for breakfast? I’m hungry.”

“We could make some eggs if you want.”

“Sure, sounds good.”

We dragged ourselves out of bed and headed downstairs to make some eggs. Mum wasn’t home; she goes to book club on Sunday mornings.

About fifteen minutes later we were sitting at the kitchen bench with a plateful of fried eggs on toast each, as well as coffee for me and orange juice for Vic.

“So… I think we need to talk,” said Vic halfway through breakfast. “About us.”

My stomach tightened a little, but I tried to stay cool. Was he regretting last night?

“I just want to know, where exactly do we stand right now?” he continued. “I mean, are we in a relationship, or…” he trailed off.

“Well, do you want to be?” I asked, relieved.

“Well, um, yeah. Only if you want to, though,” he said nervously, which reminded me that he hadn’t done this before.

“I want to. I meant what I said last night, about liking you.”

“I meant it too. But are you worried about what people will think? I’m not, but, you know…”

“I’m not worried. I’m ready to make it official if you are.” In truth I was a little scared. I wasn’t ready to start trying to put a label on my sexuality and I knew people would be wondering and asking and judging. But I really liked Vic and there was no point in putting off coming out since it was gonna happen sooner or later, and I knew that it shouldn’t matter what people thought of us.

“Yeah. Yeah, okay.” A small smile crept onto his lips. “I have a boyfriend,” he murmured. It was so cute that I couldn’t help leaning over and kissing him, smiling as I did so. He kissed me back and I could feel him smiling against my lips as well. I’m so lucky, I thought to myself.

We spent the rest of the day watching movies and just messing around.

“Hey, Vic?” I said later that afternoon.

“Yeah?”

“I think… I think I’m gonna tell my mum tonight. About us.”

“You sure you’re ready? You don’t have to rush it if you’re uncomfortable,” he said concernedly.

“No, it’s fine. No point in putting it off.”

“Are you nervous?” he asked after a pause.

“Yeah,” I said honestly. “But I think she’ll be fine with it. She likes you and I’m pretty sure she’ll be okay with me dating a guy.”

“Well, good luck anyways,” said Vic, squeezing my hand.

Vic went home that evening just before dinner, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek before he left. I was getting pretty nervous by then, even though I knew it would be fine. I couldn’t help it, even though I couldn’t explain it.

“Mum, I have to tell you something,” I said as I picked at my lasagne that night.

“What’s wrong, honey?” she said, looking worried.

“I… well, Vic and I are sort of… dating.”

“I know,” she said.

“You- wait, what?” I asked, confused.

“I could tell. You’ve never acted that way with your friends before, so I knew something was different. And I’m okay with it, Kellin. You know I’ll love you no matter what, and Vic’s a great kid too.”

“Thanks, Mum,” I said, smiling at her. We’ve always been close and she knows me pretty well, so I guess I’m not too surprised that she noticed something was different, especially today.

I finished my dinner pretty quickly after that and went upstairs to text Vic the good news after kissing Mum on the cheek and thanking her again. I had a boyfriend, and everything was good so far.