Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 107- It Was Never Pretend For Me

Cristiano’s Pov

“Say it again” I say kissing her hand. She rolls her eyes and laughs. “I love you” she says smiling. “Now stop asking me to say it. It’s starting to get annoying” she says. “Annoying you is one of the reasons you love me” I smile. “I’m beginning to wonder why I do” she says. “Ok ok I get it. Silly of me anyway to annoy you when you haven’t had much sleep” I say. “And who’s fault is it that I got no sleep” she says. “It’s not my fault you find me irresistible” I grin.

“Well I do now. So you can forget what you are thinking right now. I am not having sex with you in the back of this car. Especially when the driver can see” she whispers. “You didn’t seem to mind” I say before her hand claps over my mouth. “Don’t mention the plane. Anyway we’re almost at the house” she blushes.

And you’re with me I think as I pull her closer to me. When I planned this weekend I never imagined it would end like this. Knowing she loves me as much as I love her.
As Marcosa welcomes us into the house, I follow Lucy. “You certainly brightened up since this morning” I say. “Well I had a very enjoyable plane journey” she grins.

“Enjoy that happy moment cos it won’t last long” Nuno says as he walks down the stairs. “What are you doing up so early. I thought you had plans last night?” I ask. I know he was looking forward to his own plans. “I did. But then I had a visitor arrive” he says. “Who?” Lucy asks. “Am I missing the party?” a voice asks from the stairs.

“Great” I mumble. Just great. Why does he have to be here now I think as Hugo comes closer. “Did you have a nice time in Madeira?” Hugo asks as he walks to the couch. “It was wonderful. I can see why your brother likes it so much” Lucy smiles at me. “I often find it hard to understand why my brother likes certain stuff or people” he smirks. “That’s it” I yell and Lucy pulls me back. “You have to get ready for training and I have to get ready for work. Let’s go unpack” she says. He messes everything I think as I storm up the stairs.

“So Lucy liked Madeira?” Nuno asks when I get back from training. “She loved it. I’m glad I took her” I say. “I’m glad. So did she tell you not to kill Hugo yet or has she given up on that” Nuno jokes. “Where is he?” I ask. “Around here somewhere. I couldn’t believe it when he arrived” Nuno says shaking his head. “You should have phoned” I say. “I didn’t want to ruin your trip” he says. “Thanks. I’m sorry he ruined your plans with Anna though” I say. “I think of something to make it up to her” he shrugs.

“I don’t even no why he is here. Máe and the others aren’t here” I say. “Wants to make peace with his brother according to Dolores” Nuno says. “So Máe nagged him to come here and now I can’t complain to her about it. Great” I say. “Well at least you have Lucy on your side” Nuno says. “Come again?” I ask. “She told Hugo to grow up before he looses his brother” he says. “Really” I say. “Ya. Although I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t a little disappointed she didn’t hit him” he laughs. “She really is something. Isn’t she” I smile. “Who would have thought lady killer Ronaldo would finally fall in love” Nuno grins. “Guess I just needed to meet Lucy” I say.

I look at my watch. It’s only 2.30 which means it’s hours until Lucy is home. Home I think. This place does really feel like a home when she is here. I decide to unpack my suitcase and sort out my closet. Nuno was gone to see Anna and I didn’t know or care where Hugo was. “When did I buy this?” I mumble picking up a navy shirt. I throw off my t-shirt and put my arms into the navy shirt. I hear Marcosa bark loudly. “Cristiano” I hear someone yell as the door bangs loudly.

I head downstairs and see Lucy. “Lucy. What are you doing back so early?” I ask.

“You texted saying you wanted to talk. But it’s me who wants to talk” she yells. “What text?” I ask. “You lied to me” she shouts. “What? When? Lucy what’s the matter?” I ask. She seems really upset. “Don’t touch me” she shouts when I try to touch her. “Lucy” I say. “You lied to me. You lied to me from the start” she yells. “I didn’t lie to you” I say. What am I meant to have done I think.

”So you hadn’t already dropped the charges against Tina before I agreed to pretend to be you girlfriend?” she says. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

“Oh” I say. “Oh. Is that all you have to say” she says “Cristiano” a voice calls out.

“Who is here?” Lucy asks. “No one. Look Lucy come up stairs and we can talk” I say. Hugo must be back. “Cristiano have you forgotten about me” the voice says again and Lucy and I both turn to look towards the hall.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” I shout. “Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten all about what we have be doing since you got back” she smiles.

I watch as Lucy’s face goes white as she holds her hand to her mouth.

“Lucy. This isn’t what it looks like” I say tuning her to face me. She pushes me away and just stares at Merche.

“Don’t lie Cristiano. I told you she’d find out about us eventually” Merche says. “There is no us, you crazy woman. Get out of my house” I yell at Merche. What the hell was she doing in my house, wearing my club jersey?

Lucy is shaking. I try to take her hand but she flings it away. “Get away from me” she yells. “Lucy I swear I don’t know why she is here. But I didn’t sleep with her” I say. “I trusted you” she whispers.

“Lucy look at me” I say placing my hands on her shoulders. She looks into my eyes.
“I swear there is nothing going on between Merche and I” I say. “Then why is she dressed in only your disgusting jersey and you’re half dressed” she says taking a step back.

“Lucy” I say in shock.

“Why? Why did you do it? Was I not enough for you?” she mumbles to herself. “I didn’t do anything. I love you” I say. “Yet you cheat behind my back. I thought you were different. I thought I could trust you” she yells.

“You can trust me” I plead. “Just leave her Cristiano” Merche says. “I told you to get the fuck out of my house” I roar at her.

“What’s going on?” Nuno asks coming into the room. “Oh” he says looking between Merche and Lucy as he shakes his head. “I was right Nuno. That day I first met you. Poor you for having him as your cousin” she says hitting me with her handbag and rushes out. “Cris” Nuno says. “Get that bitch out of here now” I yell pointing at Merche.

“Lucy. Stop” I shout slamming her car door shut. “Move” she says. “No. You have to listen to me” I plead. “I’ve seen and heard enough” she says trying to shove me away. “You can’t believe Merche. I would never cheat on you. I love you” I say. “It’s all just words” she says. “I love you. I wouldn’t lie about that” I say. She lets out a laugh. And it’s not a good laugh.

“Because you wouldn’t lie to me” she says moving away from the car. “Lucy” I say. “Do you know how hard it was for me to come to your house that first night? “Do you know how I felt having to see my best friend in trouble and in pain and know if I could just sleep with you the once, then she would be ok” she says wiping tears of her cheek. “I know” I say.

“You lied to me from the start” she shouts throwing her bag at my feet. “Why should I believe you’re not lying now” she yells. “I’m not. I swear. I love you” I say stepping closer to her. She holds her hand out to push me back. “I came here to your house. I met your family. I acted like the loving girlfriend all for you to drop the charges against Tina. And you already had” she shouts.

“I’m sorry” I say. “Sorry. Sorry. That’s all you have to say. I spent weeks lying to the people closest to me and to you. I hate that. I hate that you made me like my mother” she roars as tear fall down her cheeks. “You are nothing like your mother” I say.

“I was lied to over and over again. You know how hard it is for me to trust. Yet you broke it. You broke it by lying to me about the charges and you certainly broke it by sleeping with that Portuguese hag that’s half naked in your house” she yells.

“I don’t know why she is here. But I swear I didn’t bring her here” I say. “I was a fool for thinking you could love me like I love you” she says holding her arms around her body. “I do love you. I love more than anyone in the world. I have never lied to you about that” I say standing inches away from her. She doesn’t push me away or fight my hands holding her face.

“I should have told you that I already had the charges dropped. But I couldn’t. I liked the thought of you pretending to be my girlfriend” I say. “You wanted to have fun. Who cares if it was fun at me” she says slapping my hands away.

A loud bang erupts in the sky and the clouds get more and more greyer.

“I never thought my family would believe us. I truly thought the arrangement would be over that first weekend. But they didn’t. They loved you. I loved watching you and them together. I loved having you around. I missed how cranky you are in the mornings. How you scrunch your nose when your stretch out in the bed” I say as she wipes her cheek with her sleeve. “I like how much I smile when you’re around. I like the man I am when I’m with you” I say.

“That man is a liar and cheat” she snaps rain begins to fall. “I wanted to tell you” I say. “Then why didn’t you” she yells. “I didn’t want to hurt you” I say. “Well you failed with that, didn’t you” she says.
“I’m sorry. But does it matter now. We aren’t pretending anymore” I say. “Don’t you get it” she says throwing her arms into the air.

“Everything was a lie. Our whole relationship was a lie. Do you not see that?” she yells trying to wipe her wet hair off her face. “Lucy” I say trying to hold her. “Don’t. I don’t want to hear it. I thought I could trust you. But that woman in there shows you are like all the rest. You can stop acting Cristiano” she says walking around me.

“I’m not acting. I love you” I say as she opens the car door. “Well you have a funny way of showing it” she says. “No. No. I’m not letting us end like this” I yell as the cold rain pelts of my face.

“Stop. Just stop. We were fooling our selves. Can’t you not see? I’m not the kind of girl you should be with. I’m not pretty or sexy enough” she says. “You can’t be serious” I say in shock.

“You wanted to have some fun pretending and you did. So please just stop now. I can’t deal with anymore” she says kissing my cheek. “Lucy” I plead as she gets into the car.

“It was only ever pretend Cris. We were kidding ourselves thinking it could be more” she says closing the door.

I can’t stop her. I watch as her car drives fast down the drive. This can’t be happening. How? Why?

“It was never pretend for me” I whisper as I the rain soaks through my clothes.
♠ ♠ ♠
After 8 months, 107 chapters, 154,094 words (I can’t believe it’s that amount and has been that long!) When Does The Pretending End? has finally come to an end. I want to thank everyone who read, subscribed, recommended and commented on this story. Apologies if anyone thought it went on too long. I just couldn’t stop writing lol.

Thank you to life.in.technicolor,kalamnamuhs123 ,Georggthomas ,ariana_aemming and Jayme112234 for their comments on the last chapter.

Thank you so much especially to kalamnamuhs123,ariana_aemming and Jayme112234 for their continued comments and support. I hope everyone enjoyed this story. I never expected it to last this long and to receive all your wonderful feedback.

Thank you all so much.