Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 46 - Caring Is Sweet

Cristiano’s Pov

Why does she always run away I think as I watch Lucy run up the stairs? I look at the broken glass on the floor beside my feet. Bloody Elma I think.

I thought she was finally opening up to me the other night. She told me I was the only other person who knew about her mother’s involvement in her sister’s death. Even Tina didn’t know. When I woke this morning I was the only person in the bed. My mind raced when I couldn’t see her. I noticed the closet door was open so I assumed she must be in there.

“Hey what are you doing in here” I said making her jump when I saw her sitting on the floor. “What are you doing?” I asked. “Just thinking” we say together. I roll my eyes. “There’s a surprise” I had said. She really needs to stop thinking. She showed me a photo of Lacey and her together. Lucy had her hair in pigtails and a big smile on her face. “The pigtails are cute” I said and she looks at me like I have three heads. “It’s just you’re the first person to see me in that pic instead of Lacey first” she said. “You look adorable” I told her and she did. “And Lacey looks hot” Lucy said. I had looked at the young girl standing next to Lucy in a red hot dress. Ok I’ll admit she did look hot. “Hey if I say she does you are going to be annoyed with me and if I say she isn’t you are going to be annoyed with me so I decline to answer” I said and she let out a laugh that I had missed hearing.

When I managed to get her to bed I couldn’t say no when she asked whether I was getting back in.
I clean up the broken glass and think back to standing here in the kitchen this morning talking to Máe.

“Bom Día Cristiano” Máe said to me. “Hi” I muttered. “What’s wrong?” she asked. “Nothing” I said. “Cristiano speak now” she said. Mothers they always know when something is wrong. “It’s Lucy. I’m worried about her” I told her. “Why?” Elma said standing next to me. “Where did you come from?” I asked. “Never mind that. What is wrong with Lucy?” Elma said ignoring my question. “Just leave her be for today. Ok. She needs time to herself” I said. “Why?” Elma asked. I knew she wouldn’t stop asking so I had to tell her. “Lucy had a sister. She died ten years ago today. She was only fifteen” I told the watching eyes and as one they gasped. “That poor girl” Máe whispered. Tell me about it. “I’m going to be gone all day with the club stuff so keep an eye on her” I had asked them.

When I came home early today I saw Lucy on the garden. “She’s ok” Cristiano Máe said when she saw me watching Lucy. “I know” I told her. “Well as must as I love how much you are worried about Lucy, I really could have done without all the texts checking up on her. I have things to do you know” she said grinning at me.

“Cris are you deaf?” Nuno shouts bringing me out of my thoughts. “What?” I say. “The phone it’s ringing” he says pointing to Lucy’s phone. “I’ll get it” I say and he heads back to the movie room. I pick the mobile up and see Tina across the screen. Oh My God she’s ringing Lucy. Shit. Where is she when I want her? I start to run upstairs. Please to stop ringing I think looking at the phone in my hand. It’s been ringing for a few minutes. Surely she’ll keep ringing until she hears from Lucy? I reach the top of the stairs and decide there is only one thing to do. “Hello” I say into the phone. “Hi. This is Lucy’s phone right” the voice at the other end of the line says. “Yes it is. I’m just looking for her. Please don’t hang up. She really wants to talk to you” I say walking into my bedroom. Holding the phone to my shoulder I head to the bathroom.

“Lucy” I say knocking and opening the door. “What the hell Cris” she shouts as she finishes wrapping the towel around her wet body. “Tina is on the phone” I say and she looks shocked as I hold the phone out to her. Taking the phone she holds it up to her ear. “Tina” she whispers and a tear falls from her eye. I head back to the bedroom and pick up Lucy’s dressing gown. “I’m ok considering. But I want to know how are you?” Lucy is saying into the phone when I return to the bathroom. I hold up the dressing gown and she places one arm into the sleeve. Then swapping the phone to her other ear she places her other arm into the other sleeve before I tie the knot. She moves a little and her hand reaches the towel under her robe. I stand back as the towel lands at her feet and she walks to the bedroom. I watch as she sits with her knees under her on the couch. Laughing and smiling into the phone. I decide to leave her talk to her friend alone.

A while later I’m sitting in the movie room with Nuno and Katia when Lucy comes running into the room. She jumps into my lap straddling me. “That was Tina” she says. I shift in my seat. “Why do you look sad?” I ask wiping away a tear on her cheek. “These are happy tears” she says. “Thanks for bringing the phone up” she says. “Any time” I say and she smiles. “Well since your friend spoke to you I think that is a sign for a celebration. Who wants ice cream?” Katia asks. “Yes please” Lucy says getting of my lap. “I’ll just get dressed” she says walking out with Katia.

“I’ll be there in a minute” I say. Or longer I think grimacing when I try to move. “I have to give you credit Cris” Nuno says smirking. “What?” I ask. “How are you managing to be around Lucy when she looks that hot in a dressing gown” he says. “Want to the really hard thing?” I say. “Apart from a certain body part of yours” he grins. I groan.

“She wasn’t wearing anything under that dressing gown” I mumble putting my head in my hands.

And Nuno laughs his head off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for all the comments