Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 61 - Some Motherly Bonding

Lucy’s Pov

“Thank you for coming tonight” Josh says handing me a glass of wine. “Like you said Mr. Hanson is an important client. “Am I forgiven yet” he asks. I try not to smile. “Maybe” I say. “I promise I won’t get involved in your love life again” he says. “Good. You stay out of mine and I’ll stay of yours” I say laughing. “Come on. We are been summoned” Josh says looking over at Mr. Hanson who was waving us over. Turns out the night wasn’t as bad as I thought. I was happy I wore the green dress. I really need to sort out my wardrobe. Some of my clothes were at my place the rest were at Cristiano’s.

The following morning I was getting ready to head to Liverpool when I decided to phone Dolores. “Óle Dolores” I say. “Bom diá Lucy” she says. “I just wanted to say that you were right about last night. Turns out it wasn’t so bad” I say. “Oh that’s good” she says a little distracted. “Everything ok Dolores” I ask. “Yes dear. I was just…oh never mind” she says.

“Are you at Cristiano’s house?” I ask. “Yes. I think I might take Marcosa for a walk” she says. “Maybe Nuno might go with you” I say. “Oh Nuno went to Bolton, to the match” she says. “Well if you give me an hour, I’ll go with you” I say. “Oh there’s no need. Anyway aren’t you going to a football match today” she says. I look down at my jersey. “No I changed my mind. So I’ll see you in a hour.Ok” I say. “I’ll see you then” she says sounding happy.

I phone Josh and tell him I couldn’t go with him to the match. He thinks it’s because of the blind date thing but I tell him it’s not. I just tell him that I was feeling sick. I hate lying to him even more then I am but I think Dolores may need company more than Josh. Anyway I think he was happy when I suggested he take Luke.

When I arrived at Cristiano’s house, Dolores was sitting on the couch staring into space. “Hello” I say knocking on the kitchen table. “Oh Lucy. I didn’t here you come in” she says. “Everything ok” I ask. “I was just thinking” she says. “Don’t tell Cris or he’ll say all my thinking is spreading” I say and a slight smile appears on her face. “What are you thinking about? If you don’t mind me asking” I ask taking a seat next to her.

“I was thinking about the birthday dinner for Cristiano’s father that we are having in a couple of weeks” she says. “What is worrying you?” I ask. “I just want it to go well” she says. “I’m sure it will” I say. “If my children can stop arguing for one minute the maybe” she says. “Dolores they know how important it is. I’m sure they will behave” I joke and she laughs.

“Sometimes they don’t know the meaning of behave” she says smiling. “Well we have two weeks to make sure they all make up. I’m sure between the two of us we can stop them” I say. “I hope you like a challenge” she says. Faking being someone’s girlfriend is a challenge I think. “Have you thought about what kind of meal you would like to have” I ask. “Sort of” she says. “Why don’t we look at some recipes” I say. “That would be nice. It would be good to have already decided on what I want to make” she says.

“Wow are you really planning on making all these foods yourself” I say looking at the list of dishes Dolores had planned to make in two weeks’ time. “Yes. It’s all Jose favourite foods” she says. “Ok. But maybe you should let Katia or Elma help. Even Nuno” I say. “I’m sure they’ll help a little” she says. If Dolores gives up a little of the control I think. “Would you like me to make desert” I ask. “Oh no I couldn’t have you doing that” she says. “Dolores may I please make you a desert for the dinner” I ask. Seriously it’s the least I could do. I have a feeling she is going to be stressed so much the next few weeks. Plus it may reduce my guilt for lying to her.

“That would be lovely Lucy. Thank you” she says flicking through another cook book. “You know I’m glad my son finally met someone like you. You never know this may be the first remembrance dinner of many more to come for you and our family” she says. “Well I’m not sure how Cris and I will…”I stumble over my words. She shakes her head at me. “My son isn’t that stupid to let you ever go” Dolores said. If only you knew the truth.

“Should we watch the match?” I ask as I finish adding cream to the cake I just baked. “I’ll put it on in the background” she says. “Oh and Liverpool won today” she says. “That’s great” I say. I actually forgot about that match.

Having finished the cake and placed the brownies we had made on a cooling tray, Dolores and I decided to sit and watch the match. “Oh no” Dolores shouts at the TV. “What happened?” I ask looking away from Marcosa who was laying on my lap. “Cris got an elbow into the head” she says.

“What” I say sitting up and looking closer at the TV. We watch as the medics tend to Cristiano’s head. Blood is pouring down the side of his face. “I’m sure it’s nothing” Dolores says. “Are you sure? He’s not standing straight” I say as we watch Cristiano been helped walk to the side of the pitch. “It’s just a cut, I’d say. Don’t worry” she says tapping my knee. I smile at her. If she thinks he is ok. Then I suppose he is.

“Any news?” I ask Dolores as she walks down the stairs. “No. He’s not answering his phone” she says. “He should be back soon” I say. “He could have rung” she says. He should have rung. Cristiano should have known his mother would have been worried about him. “You should go to bed” she says to me and I nod. She wants time on her own I think.

The match was on a 5.30. The team should have been back in Manchester around 11. It is now 12.30 I see looking at the clock. I don’t know why but I can’t sleep as I turn again in the bed. The door opens. Cristiano walks in. I turn on the lamp. “Hey are you ok?” I say throwing back the covers and jumping out if bed. “Lucy” he says.

“Are you ok? Did the doctor look at your head? Why didn’t you phone?” I say quickly. “Wow, wow relax. I’m fine” he says as my hand slides down the side of his face. I shake my head. “I’m going to tell your mother, that you are back” I say as I walk through the door.