Status: Completed. Thank you for reading.

Dark Waters

Stalking My Future

Sigrid

..::~^~::..

I hid in the shadows patiently as the quiet night went on. I held my Ebony Bow in one hand, and tapped a steel arrow to my chin as I waited. The moon was at its highest peak, align with Malacath’s star. It should be time. I used the point of my arrow to scratch underneath my hood. I’d been crouched in this spot since early in the morning, and Ranauldaf still hadn’t passed. He would have to eventually, and I could wait. Once I heard leaves crunching, and somebody approaching, I stilled. I was completely alert as I watched Ranauldaf pass. Still hidden in my shadows, I sheathed my arrow, and slung my bow behind my shoulder as I quietly sprinted to the next shadow, going in the same direction of Ol’ Daffy. Once he was further, I crossed the path again, heading for another shadow. I did this, following him as he left Falkreath and headed to his farm. The farther from the city, the better. Once we entered the woods, I crouched against the small hill near the path, following him.

Crunch.

I cursed myself. How had I let myself be so careless. Ranauldaf stopped, and looked around. He looked worried, but seemed to brush it off. This was only for his benefit, I knew. I could smell his fear. He continued his walk, but seemed more cautious. I made sure to do just the same. ‘No more leaves,’ I told myself, and I was back into focus. We reached the farm once the moon was now almost align with Hircine’s star. He entered his cabin, and I crouched near the side of the building. A candle light was now visible through the windows, and I took a chance to peak in. He sat down at his table, and started looking over a few letters. I couldn’t just barge in, I had to sneak up on him before I could slit his throat. I had no weapons for a fight. Just my bow, and my Ebony dagger – and my wits. I formed a plan in my head as I placed my bow and arrow sheath against the side of the cabin, and walked over to his farm pigs. I examined them as I walked back to where my bow was, and picked it up. With a bow, I crouched down, and aimed towards one of the pigs. I let the arrow loose, and a second later, the animal was now ready to be a kabob. The pig made a loud noise, a last sound of breath. I peered back into Ranauldaf’s cabin, seeing he’d been startled. He stood up from his table, and quickly walked over to his door, yanking it open. He took a quick look around before his eyes rested on the pigs, where he headed next. As he walked over to the pig pen, I snuck into his house, careful not to make any more mistakes.

It was a small one room cabin, and there wasn’t much room to hide. I panicked for a second, before I saw a latch on the floor. I scrambled for it, and pulled it open, just enough for me to slip through and under the floor. I noticed the overwhelming amount of cabbages that had been stored under the house before I pulled the door back closed, and was once again in the shadows, where I was back in my perching position – waiting.

I could see the candle light flicker, still, through the small creases in the floorboards. Creaking surrounded the space under the small house as Ranauldaf re-entered, and he paused a moment, standing nearly right over me. The door shut, and he walked back over to his table. I would wait, still. That’s one of the things I was good at. When dawn was almost approaching, I could hear the candle being blown out, and shoes being taken off. Then, covers being slipped into. Now, he’d be going to sleep – finally – and still I would wait before I made any move. I’d been told he was a heavy sleeper, and as tough as he’d tried to make himself seem, he still scared easily. People would think this could be an advantage, but I’d scared him into waiting until day to sleep, making this assassination much longer than it really needed to be. I was a little tired, and my stomach would start calling for food soon. When I felt it was a good time, I climbed the few steps back to the cellar door, and pushed on it to let myself out. The rising of the sun blinded me, and I squinted as I crawled out. I made sure no noise was made as the door closed again, and stalked over to Ranauldaf, who was fast asleep.

I grinned at the satisfactory, that once again, I’d be successful. I pulled my Ebony dagger, and didn’t waste time until I slit his big fat bearded throat. Now he’d stop killing the other farm animals in the area, and I’m sure the ‘mysterious deaths by poison’ would quickly subdue. I wrapped his neck with his pillow case before any blood could make a stain, and dragged him to the cellar door, where I dropped him. I jumped in after, and dragged him over to the darkest corner, where I covered him with cabbages he’d stored in the room. I went back up, shutting the door, and dragged the rug over the latch. Now I’d just have to find Donmur’s pendant and return it to him, and I can go back to the sanctuary.

In the cabin, I searched through boxes, through cabinets, until I finally found the crystal blue pendant hidden in a coat pocket in the dresser. I placed it in my boot as I left the cabin, shutting the door behind me. It felt good walking in a normal stance, especially after crouching for such a long period of time. Donmur’s farm was not far, and I knocked on his door, retrieving the pendant from my boot. He answered the door, looking frightened as he opened the door, then possibly remembered why I was there in the first place. I handed him the necklace.

“Just a moment,” he said, retreating back inside, and a second later coming back with a coin purse, handing it to me, “That should be seven hundred gold for your trouble. I cannot tell you how thankful I am,” he said. I didn’t respond, didn’t even take down my hood through the whole time that I met him. I took the coin purse, happy with its heaviness, turned, and walked away. I whistled, and Shadowsmere emerged from the largest shadow around, and trotted over to me. It was a short distance to the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, but I was tired of walking. I mounted him quickly, and made a break for the hidden entrance. I ran through the woods until I was at the small lake of what looked like an abyss. I jumped off of Shadowsmere’s back, and walked into the side of the hill, and to the Black Door.

“What is the music of life?” The door asked me.

“Silence, my brother,” I answered it, and it glowered red before it opened. Astrid seemed to be waiting for me as I walked further into the sanctuary, a smile on her face.

“Ah, another successful contract, fulfilled,” she beamed, patting me on the back, “I’m sure we’ll hear about his death, soon enough.”

“Or his disappearance,” I replied, and she seemed slightly confused, “After I cut his neck open, dragged him into the cellar, and hid him under a ton of cabbage,” I explained, and the clarification was clear on her face.

“A fine job,” she complimented, “Now just go see Nazir. He had something he needed to tell you, and then you can go rest,” she informed me, and I nodded before I headed down the set of stairs into foyer. The only person present was Arnbjorn, who was forging. I walked up another set of stairs, passing Babette’s pet Frostbite Spider. I emerged into the dining room, where Nazir was reading over a few contracts. I dreaded the possibility of him giving me another one so soon, when all I wanted to do was lie down for a day, wake up, and eat.

“And there she is,” Nazir smiled, “how did it go?”

“Well, no more over-competitive Ranauldaf killing the other farmer’s animals….or them,” I assured, and his smile got brighter.

“I always knew you’d be fit for the more difficult contracts,” he told me.

“You called that one difficult? That man was as ignorant as the animals he killed,” I said, looking up the stairs to where my cot was.

“Fair enough. I have a more difficult task for you, then,” he told me, and my shoulders slumped, “Hang in there, this doesn’t have to be done right away. You can have a few days of rest before hand. Any ways, you and Nevaris need to head to Helgen. There’s a Bandit Chief there, who has had his Bandits terrorizing innocent citizens,” he informed. My shoulders ended up slumping anyways, because he was sending me with Nev, of all the brotherhood.

“Is that all?” I asked, not understanding how he thought that was ‘difficult’ in Nazir’s eyes.

“No. You must kill all of his employed Bandits,” he said further, “the difficult part is we don’t know who they are or how many of them he has. You must find that information out.”

“Honestly, Nazir, the mere thought of work right now just makes me more exhausted. I’ve so far been awake for two sunrises, and I’m not too keen on catching another,” I went straight to the point. I was done, today.

“That’s just fine, dear. Go on up to your bed, and have a nice sleep. It’s obvious you need it, you’re swaying on one spot,” he pointed out. I wasn’t aware that I had been doing that, but it was just another reason for me to go to bed, and I was all for it.

“Thanks, Nazir. I’ll see you the next time I’m conscious,” I patted him on the shoulder before I headed up yet another set of stairs, and walked down to the last bed. I took off my hood, my bow, my arrow sheath, and placed my dagger in my drawer, which everybody was well aware not to go into. Not that it was something I had to worry about. There wasn’t many people in the Brotherhood, and we were all family. We had respect for each other’s stuff, and mostly, for each other.

“Well, well, look who’s back,” Nev said, walking up to my bed. I groaned as he sat down next to me.

“Can’t I just sleep?” I begged, and he smirked.

“Oh, so the undefeated has been defeated,” he chuckled, and I shoved him. It didn’t go very far, because not only was I tired, but my bones were, my muscles were, my nerves were. My pillow looked so inviting.

“I will send you to Sovngarde if you don’t leave me alone,” I warned, “I’m far too tired to bicker, which you’re really good at – bickering.”

“Oh, Siggy, don’t be so harsh. I just wanted to tell you how excited I am for our quest,” he grinned.

“I will cut your tongue out and boil you in oil if you don’t get off my bed, Nevaris. I will discuss this when I decide to wake up,” I said, giving him a good push from my mattress.

“Fine, Sigrid, but you better count on it,” he said, before he walked away. It felt as though he had short patience with me, and I was never sure why. When he did try to be nice, though, I pushed him away. This is how it’d been since we were kids, when I was an orphan, and brought into the Brotherhood. That was a day I’d never forget. Still, I tried to as I finally rested my head onto my pillow, and it wasn’t long before my eyes were shut, and so was my brain.

©Shannon
♠ ♠ ♠
There are 25 total chapters between Saleigh and Me.

Honestly, we started this over a year ago, but somewhere around chapter 17, I went to basic training and AIT, and I've been dealing with pre-deployment stuff.

Thank you for reading, I hope you are able to stay through all the chaos ^^

xoxo, Shannon.