My Little Killer

Am I Too Lost To Be Saved

Onyx sets her back on her bed. It’s been 2 months since she came to this new world. She has a part-time job that pays enough for food and she’s getting texts from her sensei again. Except this time, they’re more common; once every week instead of once every month and every week a small pile of cash is mailed to her from an unknown source. Onyx realizes that she doesn’t need the job like she did in England so she quits and realize on the job money. There were so many more demons here than in England, it made her head spin. She grabs her mail from her box and opens up the unmarked envelope to find $200. She smiles at a job well done and gets another text almost instantly. “Go to Dakota?” She reads and dares to text back “which one?” A moment later the text replies “both”. Onyx tilts her head and heads out to find another surprise. A Ninja with gold highlights instead of red, sits out in the parking lot along with a note. She trots down and feels the new cycle out. It fit wonderfully but the note is what troubles her. “Don’t come back here. Meet me in Dakota” She gasps. She is almost overjoyed to see her sensei again. She quickly gathers her things and races back out to get on the road ASAP but she stops, feeling a dark presence nearby. The assassin takes out her pistols and turns around a few times, scanning the area. She gets chills and can feel a pair of eyes just watching her. She puts it aside and revels in the sound of the Ninja’s engine as she races off to face the northern spring. The ride is long, tiring and cold. Onyx had gotten so used to the Arizona heat that she forgot what snow felt like. She pulls over to a motel and stays the night; getting a text from her sensei that demon is following her. She lines the edges of her room with salt and draws a demon trap under her rug. That night is difficult for her. She has the dream again and leaves early the next morning. While passing a lonely crossroads she stops after getting that dark feeling again. “Alright you son of a bitch” She says looking around. “Come on, I won’t run off this time” She gets no answer and continues for a while but can’t shake the feeling. She stops again, but this time, puts her headphones on to block it out. Evanescence blares into her ears as she crosses street after street. She’s ½ way there when she runs a red light and gets blindsided by the only other vehicle out at 4 AM. She flies across the street and blacks out; only walking up a second to see a red-eyed demon looking down at her with a smirk. “See you in hell my dear” the demon coos.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The little girl screams as the demon drags her out of Harry Potter Closet and slams her to the ground. He digs his claws into her side, creating three scratches deep enough to reach her internal organs. The other one laughs at the girl’s pain and says something in a foreign language. Suddenly a bright light fills the room and the demons melt from the inside out. A figure stands in the middle staring down at the dying girl. “I’m… disappointed… to say the least.”
“Sensei” The girl whimpers. “Please”
The man shakes his head. “No. Sorry. But… if you weren’t listening to that suicide noise, you call music… you would have seen your target, targeting you.” He shakes his head. “Consider this the ‘let you down easy’.
“What are you…” the girl stares in fear.
“You can live.” The man says, “It’s a… reward for all you’ve done for me. Be grateful”
“Michael, please” The girl cries.
“I let you live.” He says. “If you hadn’t been useful, I wouldn’t even give that. Don’t make take this back”
Onyx takes a breath and whimpers it out. The nurse who was leaving comes back in and gives a fake smile. “Welcome back from the dead”
Onyx turns her head away silently and the nurse shrugs it off, leaving to tell the doctor that the woman is awake. Onyx curses herself for not realizing it. It was a demon; the demon. The one she’s been tracking all this time. She turns to see the doctor come in.
“I see you’re alive” The doctor teases. “No really, it’s a miracle. You shouldn’t be able to move your head”
“I know” Onyx says. “It’s great” She lies.
“So we have something to talk about” The doctor says.
Onyx groans, this is never good. It’s always bad when someone says that. “Can I not walk or something?” She asks
“Oh no” The doctor shakes his head. “You’re in great shape; the only thing was… you… broke your spine. It’s healing wonderfully. You’ll be on your feet in no time.”
Onyx smiles sadly. That was the only good news so far. “Ok, so what?”
“There are some scratches that a fall like that can’t cause; as well as a pretty deep wound.”
Onyx frowned. The scratch from the demon… did it rip open? “Uh… I can… explain?” She says as she sits up.
“Onyx, right?” The doctor asks and gets a nod. “Is there anything we should know about? An abusive husband or….”
“Ew no” Onyx says and cringes. “Love is overrated. People get all stupid over it and fall head over heels like drunken weasel”
The doctor clears his throat. “Well ok then. Uh what about… troubles in your life?”
“Why? Because I have a few cuts on my arms?” She huffs. “Big freaking whoop. So I have issues; everyone does. And If I’m good to go, then I’m leaving!”
“We’ll speak later” The doctor says. “I don’t want you to leave just yet” He exits and Onyx screams into her pillow. “God he’s so sweet I want to eat my own toenails.” She looks down at her scars and frowns. They were old self-harm scars from when she was on her own. The scar from the demon is still there too. Onyx gets up and gets dressed, he’s sick of lying in bed. The assassin checks out, grabs her stuff and flips off the doctor as she exits the hospital.
Onyx hits a mall box with anger, denting it pretty deeply. It makes her knuckles sore but she blocks out the pain and gets on her Ninja again. She still heads to Dakota but ends up getting lost in Chicago. To keep herself busy, she gets a small job and looks for any potential targets. Since her Ninja is running out of gas, she needs cash to fill it up again. Her job is a tour guide in one of the museums; this gets her an advantage over the demons because she could stop them out in the crowd that she’s leading. Every now and then she sees one and imprints they’re energy into her mind. By day, she’s a simply tour guide; by night, a killer that ends the life of yet another demon. On one, particularly hot summer evening, Onyx picks up on the demon she’s been tracking; bitch that got her reputation hammered by cops all those months ago. “What was its name? Fur… something.” She mumbles.
“Fur what?” A kid asks.
“Uh… furry.” Onyx says, “This animal was known for its thick heavy coat.” She point up to the woolly mammoth a little bored. “The ancient people used the fur for clothing and such like that” The children stick out their tongue as one asks why they use elephant hair instead of cotton. “Cotton didn’t exist back then. What would you choose?” she asks. “To freeze to death in a world of ice with no shelter and little food or use elephant hair to keep warm and survive?” She scares the kids and their parents take them away and eye the assassin as they do so. She gives a ‘screw you’ face and keeps walking, looking for the demon. The whole night passes with no sign but the dark feeling is still there. Onyx decides to ignore it and keeps herself busy with chips and TV when she gets a text from an unknown source saying that there’s a demon in town that likes kids… in the worst way. Onyx texts back to see if it’s her sensei and the texter replies with a simply no. “Who, then?” Onyx types back.
“Someone” It replies.
“-.- very descriptive” Onyx texts.
“XD I’m a smart ass. Deal with it” the texter replies.
Onyx scowls and gets a location. She changes into her assassin outfit and races there; the trip burns the rest of her gas so she must wait until the person shows up. It takes hours and Onyx gets bored. She buys a bouncy ball from a vending machine and plays with it around the almost abandoned mall. She gets a few looks when she does some trick shots but ignores it. She’s having too much fun testing her skills with the little piece of rubber. She ricochets it across one of the beams and leans over the glass barrier to catch it.
“Well done” A voice says. “Not very impressive though. You must be extremely bored.”
“I am” Onyx replies. “My contact was supposed to be here hours ago.”
“He shows when he wants to. You can’t rely on him”
“Wow, yeah I kind of figure with the whole… I’m someone, comment” Onyx says disdainfully. “Who’s the demon?”
“A bitch” The voice replies. Onyx still can’t tell where it’s coming from. It has a Scottish twist to it that makes her smile. It only makes the sarcasm funnier. “She’s got a kinky thing for kids… really messed up. Psycho is really an understatement.”
“Sounds like someone I know” Onyx says. “How much?”
“Your gas” The voice says. “Can’t really find her without that little toy, can you?”
“Fair enough” Onyx says. “You an angel? Your voice carries”
“It’s just the loud speaker. I’m in the office but you can’t reach me. I’ll be long gone. Oh and I can see you. Cameras are darling little things aren’t they? I love em”
“Why tell me this?” Onyx asks. “You don’t like demons?”
“They ate my tailor” The voice says all disappointed. “Plus this specific one stalks me at night”
“Ew” Onyx says with hardly any emotion.
“Yeah, exactly” The voice says.
“Look, I’ve been hunting one for years. If your demon is anything like mine, I might miss her” Onyx says. “How ‘bout a deal; I miss her, you let live and you keep the cash. I’ll keep after her too.”
“And if you do get her?”
“You give me cash and you have an ally.” Onyx says. “Possibly an ally… it depends if I like you or not”
“Oh you won’t like me” The voice says. “I only saw your talent and just need it for this reason. I can’t so it. I’m too busy and if I do my boss might off me too”
“So? We got a deal?”
“Fine” The voice says and texts a message with the info of the target. Onyx is left to the closing mall and walks out as the lights flicker off. “On the road again” She smiles.
Onyx scans the empty room with despair. It was a nursery, the crib empty and bloody. She can still feel the demon; it’s still in the house. She heads downstairs and sees the demon holding a 6 month old.
“Shh… he’s sleeping” She says and turns to revel that she’s feeding the child her blood. “Demon’s blood gives power you know”
Onyx breaths a shaky breath and cocks her gun.
“Ah, ah, ah, you’ll wake him.” The demon circles Onyx. “I’m impressed. You’ve gained a master I see. Who is it this time? Oh let me guess. Lucifer, no… Raphael maybe?”
Onyx breathes out. “You mean I was an angel’s… bitch”
“Pretty much” The demon says. “I’m surprised Mikey kept that hidden for so long”
“Ok angels are next on my list. No one makes me their bitch.” I snarl. “Now, are you going to let the child go, or will I have to tear you limp from limb”
“Touch me, the child dies” The demon says. “Oh wait, I was going to make it my lunch anyway”
“Why feed…” Onyx shivers. “Ok bitch” She says and raises her gun firing iron into the demon’s throat. The vessel drops, along with the child. It screams and Onyx picks it up, hushing it and rocking it in her arms. She saw the mother dead in the nursery so she’ll give the kid to a shelter or something. She turns smiling at how easy that was but then stops. “That was too easy”
“That’s right, it was” The demon is up and exits the vessel. Onyx bails with the black smoke inches from reaching her. She breaks and hits the floor when her Ninja explodes. She tries to protect the kid and doesn’t see the smoke coming. It wraps her in a blanket of darkness and she screams in fear. She drops the child and stands, the demon now has control. “Now, for the sacrifice” She picks up the child and carries it back into the house. An hour passes and the demon exits Onyx. The assassin is left to see the horror of what the demon has done. The child is shredded and Onyx has only one name left in her memory; Abbadon. The assassin bolts out of the house and hides. Her phone rings and she hesitates to answer it but it turns on by itself.
“You failed kitten”
“It… it took over me”
“Yes I heard. That sucks, sorry” It was so not sincere.
“I’m sorry. I’ll… I’ll keep”
“That’s ok” the voice says. “I’ll keep my side of the deal. But I won’t be talking to you again. You missed! Moron!” It yells and the phone dies.
Onyx’s head falls in between her knees. She remembers it all, the way she… the demon… her body tore apart the baby. Part of her actually enjoyed it. She shakes away the feeling and throws her phone against the wall. She falls to her knees in silent prayer. “My angel… please I need you. I’m I too lost? Please come back.” She closes her eyes. “Michael, please” Onyx looks up and sees a man standing over her. He reaches his hand down and helps her up. “Ok I lied. You’re just pathetic, calling to that asshole.” It’s the caller. “He… ditched… you. That means no prayer is gonna save you kitten. Go home.” He shakes his head. “Stay alive. I least gave you that” He vanishes and behind him is a cab. Onyx takes it home and falls asleep on the floor of her room, hoping for a dreamless sleep. Who the heck was that caller? His energy was dark, but he was… nice. Onyx wonders if she’ll get any more calls or texts from the mystery as she drifts deeper into sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't worry, this is so not an instant fall in love story.... she hates so much after she finds out who it is.