Bleachless

Epilogue

An epilogue was requested, so here it is. Sorry for it being so short, but I just wanted to fill you in on everyone's thoughts and actions after Kellin and Vic's death. I'm writing this in Mike Fuentes point of view.

-

"I've made many, many mistakes in this lifetime, some of which I'll never forgive myself for. But the biggest mistake I ever made in my entire life, one that will haunt me until the day I die is the fact that I let my brother slip out of my hands like sand." I said quietly, tears slowly dripping from my eyes. "He was the most genuine and caring brother I could've had. If I could go back, I'd change everything. I would've never taken him for granted, I would've cherished the time we spent together. And even though there's no subliminal amount of time there, I'll cherish it. Vic's going to do fine without us, but we need to do good for him. It hurts now, but it will get better. I'm so sorry I failed my brother..." I concluded, moving from the podium, a quiet shade of applause erupting briefly. I walked back to my seat.

One week today. One week since Vic's death, and the pain still hurts just as much. I said in my speech it'll get better, but I'm starting to question that theory. Will I ever be the same? Answer, no. Life will not be the same without my brother. I miss him so much. I'd do anything to have him back.

My mom's worse. She knows her and my dad were the root of this, which they were. I knew Vic and them didn't get along very well. I guess I never realized how serious the bullying and family problems were though. The only person who was there for him was Kellin, who's gone as well, sadly.

Kellin and I never met, but I knew he would've been good for my brother. He was good for my brother. When he needed someone, Kellin was there. It's heartbreaking and bittersweet that they're spending their next life together though.

My eyes scanned the benches. Most were kids from our school. He wouldn't want them here. The thought made me clench my fists, holding back the rage. Everyone could go fuck themselves, this is why I lost my brother!

My anger subsided when Mrs. Quinn stepped up to the stage. She lowered the microphone because she's not very tall like I am. I watched her intently, seeing her eyes were filled with much more sorrow than anyone else's in the room. Speaking openly about this is harder than it seems.

"I don't know what to say." She stated softly. "I lost my son last week, and here we are." Tears fell, so she wiped at them quickly. "I'm glad we shared this memorial, it's what they would've wanted. I never knew Kellin was gay, but now that I know, I cannot be mad. Usually, I would've been, but I just can't be mad at my son who no longer exists." My mom started to cry then, so I rubbed her back soothingly, nodding at her. "I know Kellin was attached to Vic, even if they weren't together for long. The fact they left for safety and to be happy together is torture for us, but amazing for them. They're living a new life without us, one that is unimaginable. And the final word is, we probably deserved this." I sighed. "They went through so much..." She said, no longer hiding her tears. "A-and they wanted t-to be free, and now they are." She gasped at the end, stifling her desperate cries.

With a deep breath, she continued. "I'm so very sorry I didn't stick up for my son. I've been a horrible mother, and I'm willing to admit that now. I'm also very sorry for Vic's family, I know how much you're hurting as well. Thank you." Kellin's mom walked off the stage and back to her seat quietly. She watched her feet as she walked.

The ceremony came to the end, so the burial began. I watched them lower my brother into the ground, and then Kellin. They were being buried together, just because we thought it'd be the nice thing to do. And when the caskets were covered, I hugged my mother tightly, kissing her head. She shook in my arms, so I let her rest there. I was her only comfort now.

Eventually, after flowers were dropped around their stones, everyone walked off towards the road. My mother tugged at my hand.

"It's okay, go ahead, I'll be there soon." She nodded slowly before wandering off to the car. I stayed in place until all was silent. The sun was setting, so I knew I didn't have much time. I crouched down in front of my brother, or what used to be him.

"Once a year, on your birthday, I'll be back to see you again. And I'm going to stay strong, I promise you. No more drugs, no more alcohol. I'm ready to do this, it's for you. I don't know if you can hear me, but if you can, don't forget that. I'll be back to visit you, what's a little brother for?" I smiled to myself before looking over at Kellin's stone.

"And you, take care of my brother. He loves you." Silence. I nodded, looking down at my hands. I was still wearing the ring I found on Vic's desk awhile back. I guess I forgot all about being on my finger.

Slowly, I removed it, examining it.

"I believe this belongs to you." I faintly whispered, dropping the ring into the cup attached to Vic's tombstone. I then stood up and moved away slightly, looking at the two stones once more.

And with one last wave and a sly smile, I walked off, ready for the day to be over.

And next year, no matter if I'm here of in another country, I'll be back to see my brother again, because that's how much I cherish him now, and he deserves to have the brother he never had.