‹ Prequel: Three
Sequel: Borrow My Heart

Only

If I Was a Shadow And You Were a Street

On Saturday night, Tessa found her seat at the game, smiling at the people she passed as she found her spot in the row.

"Hey, it's Tessa, right?" She heard beside her.

She nodded as she tried to place the girl. "Rose?"

She smiled. "Mmhmm. We met on Thursday after the game for a split second before you left."

"You're Jonathan's girlfriend; I remember Lennon telling me that now. What are you still doing in town?"

"My sister, Daisy, she's the dentist for the Predators." She lowered her voice and leaned closer to Tessa. "She's engaged to Shea Weber." She smiled and sat back. "What about you? James Neal, huh?"

Tessa laughed lightly. "Just friends. I'm engaged to Paul Martin. He plays defense for the Penguins. But James was our neighbor before the trade so I told him I'd come cheer for him here since I can't do it in Pittsburgh."

"That's so nice. Your fiancé doesn't mind?"

"He knows how close James and I are; he's one of my best friends. And honestly, Paul and James are really close too. Aren't Jon and Patrick Kane really good friends?"

Rose giggled. "I feel terrible for you if James is anything like Pat."

The two chatted until the lights dimmed for the starting lineup. Rose waved at a woman entering the row who sat beside Tessa.

"You made it!" Rose exclaimed. "Daisy wasn't sure if you were gonna make it and you weren't here. This is going to be so much fun!"

Tessa turned to the other woman with a warm smile. "Hi, I'm Tessa," she introduced herself.

Delilah felt her insides go cold and her heart stop at the sight of the woman from James' house. "Delilah," she replied when she found her voice, sitting down.

"James' Delilah?" She asked with a hopeful smile and a look of excitement in her eyes.

"Um," Delilah started.

"You were at the diner yesterday," Tessa said, snapping her fingers with recognition. "James was so excited to introduce us to you."

"Us?"

"Me and Paul, my fiancé."

Delilah's mind flashed to the save the date card she had seen a few weeks earlier at Rich's house, now on James' own fridge. "You're Tessa, from Pittsburgh? I thought you....oh my gosh," she said, lowering her head into her hands.

Tessa gasped. "You came to his house! On Thursday! That was you!"

"That was me," Delilah admitted.

"He didn't tell you I was coming, or that I was staying with him, did he?" Delilah shook her head. "I am going to kill James Neal. Such an idiot. I am so sorry; that was not what it looked like, I swear. I'm pregnant, and the only thing I wanted to do Thursday night was get out of my jeans. I forget that most people aren't as comfortable around their friends the way James and I are. Hazard of dating grown men who slap each on the ass I suppose. Paul says we don’t have boundaries and I see now that he might be right... I just won’t tell him that. Anyway, I hope it doesn't change whatever is going on with you and James. He's so happy; I haven't seen him this happy in a while."

"He's happy? With me?"

"Oh my lord, yes! I know James, and I could tell, the first time he told me about you. He's infatuated."

Delilah blushed. "It's only been a couple weeks."

Tessa smiled. "James falls hard and fast. That tough guy exterior gives way to a total softie pretty quickly."

"I'm sorry I ran out of the diner yesterday," she said sheepishly. "That was pretty childish of me. But after seeing you at the game and then at his house, and then lunch, I just thought the worse."

Tessa groaned. "You were the girl at the game. I am such an idiot. I didn't even put it all together. Girl, I don't blame you. You show up at your boyfriends house and there's a girl with no pants and his jersey on? Plus I totally fangirled about him. I would've thought the worse too."

"You're nicer than I imagined in my head though."

Tessa laughed. "So let's start over then. My name is Tessa, Tessa Lewis."

"Delilah Gallo. It's nice to meet you," she said as they shook hands.

"I hope you won't mind but I'm staying at James' place until I leave, which is Monday morning before he has practice."

"I wouldn't expect you to stay anywhere else. I live with Craig Smith, number fifteen," she pointed. "We grew up together in Wisconsin, have been friends for years. I'm the last person to judge people of the opposite sex staying together."

"He's cute," Rose said, flipping through the program. "You and him never?"

"Our moms hoped we would but no, we never did. We look out for each other though. Is that how it is for you and James?"

Tessa nodded. "I just want him to meet the right woman."

"I understand that. I've chased away my fair share of the wrong girls that were interested in Craig. I can't imagine the girls that come after James."

Tessa grimaced. "There were some dirty girls."

"Daisy has her hands full here, at least if I'm to believe some of the stories she's told me."

"Her stories have nothing on the girls that throw themselves at Jon, or even Pat," Rose added. "But when you make that much money, it comes with the territory I suppose."

The three girls bonded during the game, a shutout loss to the Penguins. Tessa walked downstairs with them, meeting up with Daisy, who greeted Tessa kindly, before heading off towards the visitors locker room.

"Soooo, that's Tessa?" Daisy asked after she rounded the corner away from them. "She was the girl at James' house?"

"Yeah, I might have overreacted."

"Might?"

"Ok, I should have listened to you and just asked him. She drove one of his cars down and is staying until Monday at his place."

"You're okay with that?"

"Who am I to say anything? I live with Craig. They lived next door to each other for a year and a half and she took care of him when he was sick or hurt. They're friends and I'm okay with that. She's just really nice and she's so in love with her fiancé."

"And knocked up," Rose spoke up. "You forgot knocked up."

"Who's knocked up?" Rich demanded. "Dr. Daisy, are you hiding a secret from us?"

"No!" Daisy shrieked. "Not me."

"Yeah, having spawn of Webs is probably a terrible idea," he smirked.

Daisy punched his arm. "It's not a terrible idea. It's just not an idea for right now. Now you having kids, that's a terrible idea."

"Aww come on, Daisy. You know you want me. We don't have to tell Shea; it'll be our secret."

Shea came up behind Rich and clamped a hand on his shoulder. "What were you saying, Dicky?"

"I was just telling Dr. Daisy how handsome you are," he grinned. "Thought we could get married instead."

"I'm out of your league," Shea replied. "And Daisy is out of my league so she is most definitely too good for you too." Everyone laughed. "You girls ready to go?" He asked, looking at Daisy and Rose.

"You're good by yourself?" Daisy said to Delilah.

"I've got Rich."

He grinned and slung an arm around her shoulder. "Yep, she's got me."

"Nealer!" Shea yelled, opening the locker room door. "Dicky's trying to steal your girl out here!"

He led Daisy and Rose away from him just before James came out of the locker room. "I told you not to harass Tess, Cluner," he said as he pushed out the door. He froze when he caught sight of Delilah. "Hey; I didn't know if you had made it or not."

"I'm here," she smiled. James stepped towards her and pulled her into a hug. "Sorry," he said quietly. "I just assumed Tessa was waiting on me; she's visiting from Pittsburgh for a few days. Sorry I’ve been out of touch; we’ve been catching up."

"It's okay; we met, during the game. We sat beside each other."

"You met?" He croaked. A wave of cold fear washed over him.

"Mmhmm. She's sweet. She went to wait on Paul, said she'd make her way over here in a bit."

James frowned. "Just because she's engaged to Paulie doesn't mean he has to be her favorite."

She laughed. "She wore your jersey so you must have some sort of pull with her."

"Yeah, some sort of pull," Rich said with an exaggerated wink in James direction. He shoved him in response and cut him with a glare.

"Tess and I were talking about grabbing some food; wanna come with us?"

"I don't want to intrude."

"You're not. Rich is going, probably Roman and Hutts too."

"Tessa loves me," Rich smirked.

"We're all infatuated with you, Rich," Delilah smiled. "If you're sure," she said to James.

"Positive," he grinned. He grabbed her hand and tugged her beside him. "C'mon; I want you to meet Paul."

He started down the hall, greeting a couple people as they went, hands still entwined. She could see several large men in suits just ahead of them and one turned and smiled as they approached.

"Lazy!" The voice boomed. "And pretty girl," he grinned goofily.

"Delilah, this is Geno. Geno, this is Delilah."

"Is pleasure to meet you," he smiled as he shook her hand. "Sorry we beat you," he smirked at James.

"No you're not."

"No I'm not," he laughed.

"Do you know where Paul and Tessa are?"

Geno pointed. "Went around corner. I think they not want us see Paulie cry. He miss Tessa when she is gone."

"They're around the corner kissing," an accented voice spoke up. "Allo, I'm Kris," the man smiled.

"Delilah."

"James didn't tell us he had a girlfriend," he continued, shooting a look at their clasped hands.

Delilah blushed. "I don't see you everyday anymore," James retorted. "Sorry you don't know all my business."

"We didn't know all your business for a year and a half." His expression was pointed and James eyes went stormy.

Before he could respond, they heard Tessa as she walked towards them with Paul. "You two better not be scaring Delilah. If you are I will never speak to either of you again."

"Lazy probably scare her all by himself," Geno declared. "Look at his ugly face. It scare me right now."

They all laughed except for James. "Whatever; I never liked you guys anyway."

"Just Tessa," Craig Adams said as he walked by. "And Paul." James' eyes narrowed as he continued on, glaring daggers at the back of his head.

"I'm starving," Tessa declared quickly. "And it looks like everyone else is headed for the bus so you boys better go." She leaned into Paul and whispered to him. He smiled down at her and whispered back before dragging her away from the group and kissing her.

"Was nice to meet you, Delilah. Come see us play in Pittsburgh. You like it," Geno said before enveloping her in a hug.

"Oh!" she said in surprise when he lifted her off the ground. "Ok, sure."

"You stay with Tessa and Paulie. Lazy make it all happen."

"Jesus, G. It's been a week," James said. "This is the scaring her part Tess was talking about."

He shrugged. "I not scary. I best."

"Keep telling yourself that. Tessa!" He called out. "Come on or I'm putting you on the bus with Paul. It's two more days; he'll be fine."

"Fuck you, Nealer!" Paul yelled back. “Delilah, I’m Paul, it’s nice to meet you. Good luck dealing with this one. He can’t cook and he can barely take care of himself.”

“I’ve already cooked for him twice; I’m very aware of the not cooking part,” she laughed in response.

“Now we know why Nealer likes you,” he smiled. “It all makes sense now.”

“Shut up,” James glared at him.

“Stop embarrassing him,” Tessa added, pushing Paul away from the group. She kissed him again and he hugged her for a long moment before waving and following Geno to where the team bus waited to take them to the airport.

"Food?" Tessa said as she turned to them.

James looked at Delilah and squeezed her hand with a smile before letting go and pulling Tessa into a hug. "Can you make it two more days or do I need to drop you at the airport?"

"I'm fine," she said, putting a smile on her face and stepping back from James quickly.

"You're about to cry."

"It's the hormones," she said, waving her hand at the words. "I'm fine," she repeated firmly. "Now feed me."

She started back towards the Predators locker room and James and Delilah followed. She found Rich, Roman, and Carter waiting in the hall and joined them, turning to James expectantly.

"Can we go to that little cafe? I want a cheeseburger. And French fries, maybe onion rings too. Oh! And a chocolate milkshake."

"Chocolate milkshakes, yes!" Roman exclaimed. "Let's go!"

James turned to Delilah. "Do you want to ride with us? We can come back for your car."

"No, I'll meet you there, that's fine." They confirmed where they were going and parted ways, but not before James got in a quick kiss. Tessa squealed as she hooked an arm through James' and immediately began talking rapidly to him. She saw him blush and look back at her with a sheepish grin before they turned the corner out of view.