It Had To Be You

Chapter 17

This was awkward… then again I find all social situations at some point to be that way. But this was really- really uncomfortable. My car was egged and the tires were busted out. This was truly a sign from God that Halloween was the Satan's holiday, that or the holiday for asshole teenagers. One of the two, probably the second one. So, as Lane and I stood holding the passed out, candy filled munchkins I debated what to do.

Go home? Get a ride from Lane? How would I get my car back? Great just another grumpy business person to call. Lane was completely shocked and kept apologizing, I kept shrugging it off. I finally tilted my head to one shoulder and she bit her lip and stopped. Still, I adore her rambling. She led the way into the house.

"I'll just go get him ready quick." She whispered and I shifted weight on my feet. Lane frowned a little and glanced hesitantly out the window… what was she thinking? "H- Never mind."

"Please tell me?" Wow, my voice sounded whiney there… I watched as Lane stepped closer to me. Her eyes scanned over my face, how I must have looked like an idiot- still standing there in my Michael Jackson outfit!

"Well, it just that your car and all and then Maddie-" Rambling, "This may scare you. Excuse the pun, but if you want I can pull out the air mattress," Hold the phone? She's inviting me to sleep at her house. I was at a loss for words. Of course I wanted to, but was that really Justin Pierre's style to move so quickly? Then again she said air mattress, "For her and then we could," Nope thought too soon, "I just don't want you walking." She sighed the last part out almost relieved. Although that didn't last as she must have looked over my face again. Stop it! Don't scare her away.

"I-" the silence was extra quiet and my shoulder was staring to hurt from carrying Madeline. Nothing lately is what I would normally would do… I guess I could try it, "Sure." A smile broke over Lane's face and she took a big gulp then turned rather quickly.

"Well, I'll get him ready for bed and then while I get the air mattress blown up you can take care of Maddie." I nodded and sound came back to the room as if right on cue Ian started snoring. I find these kids funny even in their sleep.

Lane went to the door that must have been the bathroom. I watched as the light went into the hallway and sighed lightly. Maddie lifted her head a little and rubbed her cheek which had the indentations of my jacket on it. She mumbled something and then rested her head on my other shoulder. A small, content smirk crossed my face and I placed a kiss on top of her head.

Lane walked across the way and opened another door, from the angle I was at I could see a blue and red paint job. Taking a few steps forward I saw the shadow of Lane on the wall… good lord! I can't tell anymore if my ego, confidence or nerves are controlling me. Must be all of them I guess. My heart beat faster for unknown- ok one of those three possibly all those emotions. She almost fully closed the doors and then sighed putting her hands on her hips.

"So, if you want to get her make-up off I left out the wipes." A tired smile came across her lips as she talked and looked at the sleeping little girl in my arms. My head was suddenly spinning and it was only going to get worse, "Oh!" we both flinched as Lane's voice rose a little, "I can grab a t-shirt for her to sleep in too." I nodded yet again finding the loss of words worse this time. I wish I could be a pimp like Benjamin Franklin sometimes… and I'm not even sleeping with her- she's not a slave either. I'll think of a better pimp.

Without realizing it she was digging in a closet as nimbly as she could right next to Ian's door. I was captivated as Lane's facial features twitched ever so slightly as she reached and grabbed for things. As the moments passed I shook myself out of it and went to the bathroom to clean Maddie up. Lane got the air mattress down and went to Ian's room. The air pump hummed and the lights buzzed, Lane stepped in and placed a white t-shirt on the counter. Madeline struggled as I wrangled the costume off and slide on the cold shirt. Lane was silently giggling when I noticed she was watching me.

"Here I'll put her down if you want to clean up yourself." Lane held out her hands and I handed off Maddie as if Lane had been holding her since birth. The voices were going nuts in my head but my face just kept that almost appearing grin. Does she feel as nervous as I do? Why do I keep acting like a teenager? Oh yeah because I haven't had a relationship for about a billion years.

"Right." I hope that didn't sound harsh or as disconnected as I felt. Shutting the door I remembered I had nothing but a white muscle (or in my case anti) shirt and no form of pants. Just my boxers… shit. Fuck. Damn. Feeling and seeing myself blush in the big square mirror I thought as hard as I could. Keep the red pleather pants on, she'll understand.

I stepped out and she was in the living room with the TV on low volume. Lane's barely looked fazed as I walked in, she simply scooted over and I sat down. Slowly but surely I felt her lean against me, it was only natural that I put my arm around her.

"What are we watching." As Justin lands back on earth he should realize there's something playing on the TV. Roger that. Lane shrugged and looked at the CD case.

"My brother Joe burned me this- It is called Flight of the Concords or something." She reached back over and set the case on the end table. My mind was coming back after that laps of static.

"Flight of the Concords? You'll like it, it is funny." Who was I to suggest that? Just because I could pick out books… oh stop being negative! I know. Lane rubbed her eyes similarly to Maddie and I heard something of a yawn.

"I was going to try to get through an episode…." A full out yawn came and she still went on, "But I don't think I can last another half hour." I felt myself yawning now, yep contagious. Lane's next went limp for a second and then with what seemed like great effort she hoisted herself up, "You can finish watching it if you want, Justin." Lane's continued without taking out the DVD. Now the blankness in my mind was in full bloom. I did what my instincts told me to and turned off the TV and followed her.

Lane walked into her room first and passed the light switched and went for a lamp. The décor was pretty gender neutral, there was laundry here and there, and my books were right on her bedside table. Lazily she went into her closet and shut the door, must be a walk in… when she opened the door she was clad in pj pants and a tank top. I didn't want to bother her when she looked so tired, in fact the sooner she got to bed the better I'd feel at this point, so I sucked it up and took off my pants.

She didn't seem to care as I left them on a wad by the side of the bed I was getting in. With one last look at the undisturbed pillow my eyes widened more then should be humanly possible. The second my hand even touched the cover all of the nerves I was feeling before went into over drive. I felt brain dead. But keeping in constant motion I laid down. Clearing my throat I rolled over to face her, Lane's eyes were barely open but she still smiled. I leaned in and pecked her lips. Then taking a deep breathe in her smell overwhelmed me, sweet but clean, very relaxing.

I could get used to this. The constant warmth from her made all my muscles calm and any shiver I had from tonight seemed not to exists…wow literally that warm and fuzzy feeling you get from love-

"I love you, Lane." Her eye fluttered open and she scooted closer. The skin on my arms had goosebumps raised on them as she rested a hand on my elbow. I lifted the one she didn't have a light hold on and brushed a stray hair out of her face. I suddenly felt no awkwardness towards her at the moment.

Happy Halloween Justin.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I'm a bit rusty. Trying to get into the personalities of the characters again...

and Justin is changing for the better :D Aw how cute.

if any of you are still out there comment yo