It Had To Be You

Chapter 16

God I'm just a fucking idiot. Things were going so well with Kenzie, with the kids, with Justin, everything! Yet I managed to mess it up in a week. I mean, it was like a snowball effect! So here I was putting face paint on Ian waiting for Justin and Maddie to get here, and thinking about trying to talk to Kenzie about what happened. Tonight just wasn't going to go well. Oh what are you saying Lane? Lightin' up. And oh god this would be Justin's first time actually in my house!

"Mommy I don't think you were supposed to put that much on…" he looked in the mirror and pointed out a giant glopp I missed. I shook my head and grabbed a tissue to wipe it off.

"I'm sorry honey," I patted a little while he cringed at the weird sensation going across his face, "Mom's just a little distracted." I muttered to myself as the phone started to ring, "Great!" Ian went to move to go chase it down for me but I held him in place.

"Lane," Kenzie walked in the bathroom startling me, "Justin said he just left Josh's house and should be here soon." She put the phone on the counter and left with a swishing sound from her sweatpants.

There was a moment of silence while Ian played with his costume and I sat in awe. She talked to me, it was the first time in days. I snapped out of it and finished his make up. Quite a cute joker if you ask me. Now all he needed I guess was some Velcro shoes and then they'd both match. With that thought I heard his car pull into the driveway. We both headed to get our shoes on, when Maddie and him walked in both costume clad.

"Aw! Laney!" Madeline whined with a strand of her hair falling out from under the wig, "You didn't dress up!" I shook my head 'no' and then looked at Justin. He was in full red pleather and had his hair slicked back. Plus he didn't have his glasses, honestly I liked it a little better…. I could see his eyes go from one expression more clearly.

"Michael Jackson?" I asked standing up while Ian tied his shoes by himself. He nodded and smiled leaning in to give me a hug.

"The fat version of him!" Justin shrugged, one hand had Maddie's candy bucket in it. I hit his shoulder lightly.

"Nuh-uh!" I disagreed. The two hooligans ran off into the living room, "Hey, we'll be leaving soon! Yeah, so no you aren't!" Justin laughed at how I went so quickly from a mom to Lane.

"Well compared to him. I'm not calling myself fat actually." He started motioning with his hands, for a second he stopped and looked at his watch then smiled, "Maddie, Ian it is 7:05! You've already lost five minutes of candy!" he challenged at them.

"Like they'll need it." I muttered.

"Ch'yeah really." From I grabbed his candy bag and we headed out, Justin leading the way. I figured Kenzie could fend for herself, not like we'd be too far away. Besides it was only a few block but I grabbed the car keys in case she tried.

Luckily for me Justin didn't seemed phased at all by the whole 'I love you' thing. In fact maybe I'm kind of glad I said it… even if it has only been a month and a half. At least now we have each other to be scared shitless with.

"So," Justin started out while the kids went to get candy from my neighbors.

"Yes?"

"Well, there's a few things." Ok scratch what I just said, I'm kind of worried now. I shouldn't have said it- "Motion City is going to do a new album." We stopped and waited while the kids ran back to us but I couldn't contain my excitement.

"Really?!" I jumped a little and tugged at his hand, which of course was tapping a steady beat. He nodded and went on walking.

He cleared his throat, "And, I want you to come a party with me."

"Wait, like a let's get wasted party, or a dinner party or a cocktail-" I started rambling, yet I think he's gotten used to it by now.

"You can drink if you want. But it is just a little get together. Tony and Matt are going to be flying up." He started to explain, "Matt and Tony for Maddie's birthday and we were going to start talking about some songs. You know." He stopped and shook his head. All of his features quickly loosening their mischievous tightness, "I'll stop talking. I'm getting boring." Justin folded his arms and stared at the kids walking in front of us.

"No, no! I like it when you talk." Great line there Lane, hey he's laughing. That's good right? "I mean I'm with myself all day, so…."

"Oh you have that problem too?" Justin laughed, but it was one with an 'ah' at the end. Almost like the ahahhahaha-NO laughs. Odd. I mentally shrugged it off and grabbed his wrist to look at the time. Justin was taken back for a second then smirked.

"And I'm pretty sure I heard something about Maddie's birthday in there." I acused, checking up ahead to hear her telling Ian about the colored tootsie rolls.

"Yeah, one of my friends is throwing a birthday party for her- you can come if you want." He added quickly scratching his neck, "it just, um, all of my family and friends are going to be there." Should I meet his family? Then won't he want to meet mine? Well, he's met one of the two that matter and still care to call me family.

"Sure I'd love to. Besides Ian wouldn't want to miss it for the world." I smiled, forgetting every doubt in my mind. We came to a cross walk and all of us automatically linked hands. Madeline and Ian separating Justin and me "But when is it?"

"Middle of November." So the two partners in crime were born pretty close to each other. For some reason I have a feeling she was an early bird…. Considering most babies are conceived in- oh Jesus, why must I think of these things? Just common knowledge of my job I guess.

We went to a few more houses, and then decided to call it a night. Well for the kids, they looked more like zombies instead of Marie Antoinette and a joker. We ended up carrying them the last few blocks, candy in hand clanking on our back no less. But I have to admit Justin looked pretty tired too, he's pretty cute when he's tired too. He kept trying to push up his glasses even though he wasn't wearing them and he rubbed his chin too. God why am I such a girl?
♠ ♠ ♠
ok so this is setting more stuff up for the next chapter. and let me tell you it will be change their relationship and be oh-so fluffy! yeah i still have fun writing this story too. i can relate to Justin.....

comments yay!