From Sunsets to Monroeville

ATTENTION READER

Frank whirled around after closing his front door, Mikey and Allison in front of him to see his grandmother standing at the foot of the stairs to the upper level. She had her hands on her hips, her fluffy brown hair in wisps all around her face. Her light brown eyes danced over Mikey and Allison, observing them as Frank took a couple steps towards her.

"Nan!" He squealed, engulfing her in a hug.

"Don't break me now, I'm only 80," Nan joked, squeezing her Grandson and patting him on the back. When Frank released her she took his face in her hands. "Now what happened to your face dearie?"

Frank cringed. How do you lie to an old lady, nonetheless the only family member he actually liked, the only one who was actually nice to him?

"I uh...fell down the stairs," Frank stuttered, his eyes shifting all over instead of looking at his grandmother. She tsked.

"Well that will never do," she chuckled. "You clumsy little boy."

Frank blew out a sigh of relief while Nan looked back over at Mikey and Allison who stood awkwardly at the door, talking in hushed voices. She guided Frank over to them and smiled warmly at the two.

"Hi friends of Frank's!"

"Hello," Allison said shyly, curling her hair behind her ear and biting on her lip. "I'm Allison."

"Well hello Allison, you're the one I'm always hearing about. It's nice to finally meet you," Nan greeted and shook her hand. "And you..."

Mikey grinned and folded his arms, “Yes Nan?"

"You little string bean, you sprout up into the air like a tree! I swear - you get taller each time I see you Mikey."

"Ha, you remember me this time!" Mikey grinned sheepishly.

"Of course, you're always the one I have to look up at! Well come on, come on. Is anybody hungry? I can order pizza if you'd like..." Nan continued, walking back towards the kitchen after she released Frank.

"Uh actually, I've got to get home," Allison sighed, crossing her arms. "I should've been home ages ago."

"Oh okay dear, well it was nice meeting you!" Nan said over her shoulder, wobbling as she went up the steps so Mikey raced after her to make sure she didn't fall.

Frank grinned at them, the tall lanky boy helping the 80-year-old grandmother, who cursed and swatted at him to leave her alone. He turned back to his girlfriend, and picked her up and in one swift motion, carried her through the door and outside. Allison squealed and squirmed, giggling all the while until Frank finally set her down in front of her house.

"This doesn't mean I forgive you," Allison stated at her doorway.

"I'll call you, all right?" Frank said, ignoring Allison's previous statement and kissed her quickly. "Love you!" And he was across the lane and in his house in no time.

When Frank got back inside his house his grandmother was fussing around the kitchen, and Mikey was nowhere to be seen. Speaking of nowhere to be seen, where were his mother and father? Oh yes, that's right. Dad - business trip. But his mom? Frank pushed his thoughts aside and clambered up the steps into the kitchen and observed Nan finish making her tea, throwing out the teabag and adding sugar.

"Come sit with me Frankie," she requested and then walked into the conjoined dining room. Frank pulled out a chair for her and she sat in it, setting her steaming cup down on the place mat. Frank sat next to her.

"Where's mom?" Frank asked.

"She's upset with me, so she's locked herself up in her room."

"You guys got in a...fight?" Frank asked, unsure.

Nan sighed, "I told her she needed to straighten up. That she can't raise a teenager while wasting her own life away with alcohol. And that she needs to fix things with your father."

Frank cringed at the mention of his father, "What if they aren't fixable?"

"Then she needs to leave him," Nan stated simply, taking a couple sips from her teacup. "When they got married they made a promise to each other to support each other no matter what. And when you were born, you became their main priority. If they cannot work together to raise you then..."

"Don't."

There was an awkward silence. Nan just continued drinking her tea, glancing over at Frank a couple times. She put down her teacup and sighed.

"Frank, darling, what happened to your face?" She asked carefully.

"I told you, I fell," Frank snapped.

"Frank," Nan cooed softly, taking his hand. "You know you can't lie to me."

He frowned and looked down at his lap. How is he supposed to explain to his grandmother, the only person who's been there for him at all in his life, that his own father beats and abuses him?

"Has someone been troubling you at school?" Nan continued and Frank shook his head. "Then what is it?"

"I don't...I don't know how I'm supposed to explain this to you Nana," Frank muttered.

"Please Frankie," she pleaded. "Tell me."

"It's...uh...it's um...Dad," he finally spat out and turned away from Nan completely, his eyes burning with tears.

Nan sighed sadly and pulled her sobbing grandson into her arms, his face wet and his dignity shattered. How do you help a boy who's already been beaten down so much already?
♠ ♠ ♠
*edited.