Everything Is Alright

At Least You Still Have Good Hair

The doorbell rang and there was a loud knock at the door.

“Nicole?” I called out. “Get the door!” I yelled. No answer. There was more knocking. I sighed impatiently and got up to answer it. I heard a couple more knocks. “I’m coming!” I yelled. I yanked the door open. Justin was standing there. “Oh,” I said, not exactly knowing what to say. I let him inside. We stood staring at each other for a few minutes.

“Sorry,” we both said at the exact same time. I was confused.

“Wait, what are you sorry for?” he asked me.

“I’m sorry for blowing up at you. And, uh…for slapping you,” I added sheepishly. He smiled a little. “What are you sorry for?”

“Uh…everything.” He scratched his head. “I never apologized, or even explained right.”

“Oh.”

“I just wanted to say…” he glanced at me a few times. “Jesse….I…You know the whole bet thing wasn’t real?” he asked hopefully. I nodded and half shrugged.

“I figured you guys weren’t shallow enough. I’m not mad.” I grinned. “We might have to teach Jesse how to keep his mouth shut when he’s drunk, though. Or how to hold his liquor.” He grinned back. “I listened to the cd,” I added. He looked confused.

“What cd?”

“Your first one. Jesse gave it to me.”

“Oh.” He still looked a little confused.

“I didn’t know you missed me that much,” I said. He blushed a little.

“Yeah, well…” He shrugged. “I did.”

“I missed you, too.” He looked away for a second.

“When you said we were…” he began. “Did you mean…” he trailed off. I kind of got where he was going with this.

“It’s just…” I thought. “I don’t think it would work,” I explained simply.

“Oh. Okay.” I couldn’t tell if it didn’t matter or if he was good at masking disappointment. I hoped for the first one.

“You’re still my best friend,” I offered. “And at least you still have good hair.” He smiled and ran a hand through it thoughtfully.

“I do, don’t I?” I rolled my eyes and tried to hold in a laugh. I decided to let it out.

“Yes, Justin. You do.”