Until We're Gone

Brandon Clarence Thomasson

Brandon Clarence Thomasson. That’s my name. There were times when I’d write my name down and just stare at it, wishing I could be anyone else. Being the son of filthy rich parents got quite taxing, especially when it came to high school. Of course, other people flocked to me. I wasn’t unpopular in the town. Most probably would’ve enjoyed the constant attention, but not I.

Everyday people would walk up to me and talk to me, making my head hurt. I knew most only talked to me to try and gain the same popularity I had. If it were my choice, I’d just give it all to them. My talent however, I would keep. It was mine and only mine. It was all rather unexplainable and at times hard to control, but I knew my talent could potentially get me places. Perhaps even get me away from who I was.

Moving things with just a thought was something I had been able to do for years. The first time I had done it I remember I was quite angry at my father for signing me up for baseball. I smashed a lamp to pieces with just a simple thought. At first, I was terrified at what I had done, but soon I learned to use it to my advantage.

Without getting up I could get myself a soda or a snack. I felt like I could do anything. However, I still hadn’t mastered how to control it when I was angry. Since the first grade I had been a straight A student; gaining awards and spots in the newspaper. Nobody made fun of me or called me a ‘nerd’ due to my parents being as rich as they were. One day in biology, I pulled a C on a test. This was the first C I had ever gotten, which just didn’t fly with me. In the end, I smashed an aquarium in the teachers face, causing a shard of glass to fly into her eye.

I hadn’t forgotten about that day. My temper usually wasn’t good whenever it got bad, but luckily, no one knew that the strange things that happened were my doing. And I always considered myself lucky because of that.

^^^


I walked home after school, enjoying the air and trying not to let the heaviness of my book bag drag me down. If it were possible, I would’ve used my mind to carry it home, but I knew that would draw way too much attention to myself, so I refrained.

As I strolled passed my neighbor’s house, they said their hellos. I put on my best smile and waved back before wiping the sweat from my brow. The day was definitely hot, as per usual and the fact that I was wearing a black hoodie and jeans didn’t help much. I silently cursed my school for the AC that was always on full blast no matter what.

I noticed quickly that my parents weren’t home, upsetting me slightly. They were never home, as their jobs were quite hectic. Despite disliking the popularity and other people’s existence, I did miss my parents quite often. I wanted to be one of the ‘normal’ teenagers that sat and ate dinner with my mother and father and talked about how our days were.

Checking the mail, I grabbed a letter and let myself into the house. I threw the letter on the counter and quickly made myself a snack of apple slices and peanut butter before taking a closer look at the envelope. I noticed it was addressed to me.

With a look of confusion, I opened it and read what it had to say:

To Brandon Clarence Thomasson,
We are proud to present you with this acceptance letter to Jackson High Boarding School for the Talent Inclined. We have studied you for quite some time and starting this fall we would love for you to join us. Your schedule and other essentials are included along with our school brochure.


I stared at the letter for about ten minutes, an apple slice hanging from my mouth. My parents had never told me they wanted me to go to another school. In fact, I had never even heard of Jackson High. And what talent were they talking about?

My heart began thudding in my chest. Surely they didn’t know of my mind powers? I laughed to myself at this and set the letter down. I kept it secret very well and came to the conclusion that the school probably wanted me because of my brains. I was a straight A student, after all.

Deciding to just skip looking at the brochure, I went to my room and began the tedious effort of doing my homework.

^^^


My parents waved at me from their car, big smiles on each of their faces as they drove off. I waved back briefly before looking at the large building in front of me. I didn’t know a single person at Jackson High, which was both good and bad. It was good because it was the new start that I had always wanted. It was bad because I didn’t have a clue as to where to go.

Sucking in a breath, I picked up my suitcases and began walking in hopes of happening across an office. I decided to go into the first official building I saw, which actually happened rather quickly.

Letting myself in, I looked around. Everything looked so- dull. I felt rather out of place at the looks of everything. Before I came, I had worn the best clothes I could find, as I wanted to make a nice first impression. Getting into trouble and kicked out wasn’t an option. I felt as if I could make something of myself, especially if this were my only chance to start all over.

I set down my suitcases, leaning on one and deciding to wait for someone to walk in a notice a teenaged boy just sitting and doing nothing, which was something most adults hated seeing. It wasn’t exactly like I had a choice. Impatience and aggravation began taking over as I looked at a small bowl with a fish. Quickly looking around and still seeing no one, I looked back and began spinning the fish around and around in the bowl, causing water to dribble over the side slightly. I began chuckling at how lost the tiny fish looked once I had stopped spinning it.

I grew bored of this activity and stood up, preparing to go knock on every door I came across when a very pristine looking woman appeared out of nowhere with a large smile. I jumped at the sight of her, taking a step back and almost tripping over my suitcase.

“Hello, Brandon and welcome to Jackson High Boarding School for the Talent Inclined. If you would please follow me to my office. I’m very sorry to have kept you waiting, but I assure you that it will not happen again,” she smiled at me, which I found to be very creepy as she was one of those people who showed all her teeth when she smiled.

Picking up my suitcases, I followed her to her office, trying to keep up with her instead of really looking around. I felt rather short around her; but then again, I felt short around everyone. I wasn’t exactly the tallest person in the world, but I supposed I wasn’t really the shortest either. Even so, the woman took very long strides, which I found hard to keep up with, especially with the burden of the suitcases weighing me down.

Once we reached her office, I was able to set my things down and take a seat directly in front of the headmistress’s desk, which was a large, mahogany looking hunk of wood. I didn’t really care much for it, but she seemed to favor it, as there wasn’t a spec of dust on it.

“You’ll be rooming with one male and one female, will that be okay with you?” She asked, crossing her hands on her lap.

I nodded, “Yes, ma’am.”

“Good, good. Your classes will begin tomorrow. Your schedule will be placed on your bed in your room. Please be kind to the other two. If any problems arise, please let me know.” She took a brief pause, looking me up and down before continuing, “We’re very pleased to have someone like you here at Jackson High.” I only hoped she wouldn’t tell everyone about my wealth status, as it was something I didn’t want many people to know. I didn’t want to make friends based on how much money I had. I wanted to make friends based on who I was.

I nodded, giving her a quick smile before shaking her hand and grabbing my suitcases. I didn’t really get a good vibe from the headmistress. Nervousness bubbled in my stomach.

“Your room is down this hall, you take a left, a right, and then another left and your room will be right there. If you still have trouble finding it, there’s a map located on a few of the walls. Have a good day, Brandon.” The headmistress smiled before waving me off.

Exiting the room, I followed her instructions on how to get to my room. Once I reached it, I took a deep breath, half of me hoping I would be the first to arrive so I could collect myself and get ready to meet my two other roommates.

Opening the door, I found that I was out of luck. On one of the beds a boy lay, sound asleep. Right next to me, a female stood. I froze slightly, unsure of what to say. Eventually I was able to clear my throat enough to speak.

“Hey, you must be one of my roommates.”

I didn’t get a response out of her, which made me realize that I was probably going to be in for it for the next two years.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone. The beginning of stories are a weak point with me, but I promise my chapters will become longer and much better. This was definitely just a filler and a small explanation of Brandon's life and talent. Please point out any and all mistakes I might have made. Thank you for reading!

-Kole