Status: New Chapter after the short hiatus of a whole year, yikes.

Bam's Mistake

Chapter 6

DICO.

Dico crossed his arms as he stared at Sarah. She pulled out her phone and acted as if she hadn't just caused a huge scene. She always did this shit, she caused a bunch of shit and then left before she could be blamed or held responsible. It was solely because she was spoiled fucking rotten as a kid. Dico should have known better then to invite Sarah to the party at all, but at least now he knew he wouldn't have to worry about that ever again. After what she's done she won't be welcome at any of their parties ever again.

Dico cleared his throat. Sarah looked up at him expectantly.

“What?” she asked, rolling her eyes. She didn't want some stupid lecture.

“Leave Bam and Bird alone, they're trying to fix their relationship. They don't need you fucking it up even more,” Dico said, angrily. Anger was typically out of character for Dico, but he has known and cared for Bird for such a long time that she was more important to Dico then Sarah. And the fact that Sarah has been hurting Bird was driving Dico mental.

“I just want my fifteen minutes is all,” Sarah said. This made Dico's blood boil even more.

“Bam feels like shit about what happened, he never wanted you,” Dico said. Sarah chuckled.

“I know that, he never even slept with me.”

“What?”

“I tried so hard to get him in bed. He just kept saying no,” Sarah sighed. “And since he's clearly not willing to part with his trashy girlfriend I have no reason to pretend anymore.”

“You guys never slept together? But Bam said you had the marks and stuff,” Dico said, confused.

“Like Bams the only guy that does that. I slept with some other guy. I just got into the shower in Bam's room,” Sarah said, shrugging. “Things just kind of worked out pretty perfectly from there on out. Hey, maybe I could blackmail him.”

“For starters, no. And second, why is he so sure you guys fucked?” Dico asked.

“In the morning he freaked out. He opened the shower and asked if we fucked. He clearly didn't know the answer so I lied, smart huh?” Sarah smirked, and glanced back down at her phone. “Too bad that genius was wasted. You can go tell him the truth now, I don't really care anymore.”

“Why are you such a bitch?” Dico asked.

“I deserve nice things Dico,” Sarah said, walking away, swinging her hips in practised rhythm.

Dico screamed after her, “Then get a fucking job!”

Dico pulled out his phone, flipped it open, and dialed Bam's number. He was about to press the talk button but he couldn't bring himself to do it. This was his only chance to be with Bird. His only chance was them breaking up. He closed his phone. They were working things out, and he would let them. If they happened to break up then they weren't meant to be. This would only make them stronger, right? Dico rationalized his decision to himself, and stuck to his guns.

Dico was being such a bad friend.

But he didn't care.

BAM.

Morning rolled around like molasses for Bam. After a night of the silent treatment from Bird so she could just 'think about today's events', the last thing he wanted to do was wake up and go to work. Johnny was shaking Bam, but Bam was stubborn enough to actually try and sleep through it. Bam groaned and reached out for Bird but she wasn't in bed with him. He opened his eyes only to shut them again when the light hit his eyes. Bam pushed his head into the pillow but Johnny continued to shake him.

“Get up asshole, we gotta go.”

“Where's Bird?” Bam asked.

“She's downstairs,” Johnny said. “With a plateful of waffles.”

“I like waffles,” Bam mumbled into his pillow.

“Then come fucking eat some you slug,” Johnny said.

“Tell Bird to bring them up here,” Bam mumbled.

Johnny shook his head. Obviously reasoning with this bear wasn't enough. Johnny bent over, sticking his butt as close to Bam's face as he could and let out a loud fart. Johnny laughed loudly and ran out of the room. Bam groaned but got up not wanting to sit in Johnny's gas any longer. He stumbled downstairs only to see a plate of waffles on the counter. Tremaine and Johnny were talking about the Rube Goldberg plan the whole crew has been working on in the living room while some bullshit cartoon played in the background. Bird was in the kitchen cleaning up the dirty dishes from cooking the waffles.

Bam sauntered over to her after grabbing the plate. Bam jumped onto the counter next to the sink and began to eat the waffles Bird made him. She smiled at him as he dug into them. Occasionally between bites Bam would lean over and give Bird a kiss. When she didn't notice or refused he sat on the counter lips puckered out until she kissed him. Bam handed his plate over to her when he finished eating.

“About yesterday,” Bam started but Bird held up a soapy hand.

“I don't believe her, and I'm just going to get upset if we talk about this right now,” Bird said.

Bam nodded. “Okay, baby.”

“Gimme a kiss.”

Bam smiled. He grabbed both sides of Bird's face and pulled her in for a kiss. His lips moved against hers slowly as he enjoyed the feeling of Bird's soft lips. Bird could taste the waffles he'd just eaten. She smiled into the kiss loving the feeling of Bam's lips working themselves against her own. Her hands stilled in the warm, soapy water. Bam pulled away but took her bottom lip with him between his teeth. He released her bottom lip from the grip of his teeth and it popped back into place. Bam kissed her forehead and got off the counter walking into the living room where his friends were.

“Bam, gunna fit in a quickie before work?” Johnny asked, laughing.

“Nah, I'll take my time after,” Bam said, sitting down on the couch wincing at the pain in his leg.

Bird walked in a moment later and cleared her throat, “use these today.” Bird was holding Bam's crutches in her hands.

“Babe, I don't wanna,” Bam sighed. “Alright, give them here.”

“Good boy.”

“Don't say shit like that near them,” Bam said loudly as Johnny and Jeff began to burst into laughter. It was to late, Bam knew they'd be calling him a good boy for at least a week, and even after that the name may linger.

“Oops,” Bird said, shrugging. She wasn't sorry in the slightest.

“Thanks,” Bam muttered, crossing his arms. Now he would be teased and have to limp around.

“It's because I love you,” Bird said. “I'll be ready to go in a minute, okay?”

“I have to go get changed. You guys go ahead and take my car, we'll meet you there,” Bam said.

Johnny nodded. “Where are the keys?”

“By the door.”

“Alright man,” Jeff said, rocking himself off the couch. “Get there soon.”

“Half an hour max,” Johnny said, pointing at Bam.

“You act like Bird would ever be late,” Bam said. Both Jeff and Johnny chuckled.

After Jeff and Johnny left Bam made his way upstairs without his crutches. When Bird saw that she rolled her eyes. She was losing her patience and Bam knew it. He walked up to her shirtless body hugging her from behind. Bird pushed him off with a small smile.

“A quickie before the meeting doesn't sound so bad,” Bam said, wiggling his eyebrows.

“Definitely not,” Bird said.

“It was worth a shot,” Bam said.

He changed into a plain black shirt covered with his burgundy blazer. Was it a blazer? Bam didn't really know or care about it's name, if he was being honest. He stayed in his sweat pants. When he turned to Bird she was dressed again. The more clothes she wore the more disappointed Bam seemed to be. He decided not to make a comment but he did take note of the way her cleavage looked in the purple v-neck shirt she wore. Amazing, her boobs looked amazing.

Bird walked out of the room without giving Bam a second glance. He watched as she walked away. He wondered if she thought of him as much as he thought of her. To him, it seemed damn near impossible. He followed his girlfriend out the living where she was waiting for him. She was holding the crutches and looking at him as if to say 'you're using these, or you're dead'.

“I told you I would use them!” Bam said, sighing. “I just didn't want to navigate the stairs.”

“It's never going to get better while you're doing this movie,” Bird said, shaking her head.

“The week off will be fine,” Bam said grinning at his girlfriend. “I'll heal up quick.”

“That's not how healing works, babe!”

“Will you stop worrying?”

“Probably not.”

“You're cute.”

Bird huffed. “If it was me you wouldn't even let me use crutches. You'd have me in a wheelchair for Christ's sake!”

“That's right.”

“Whatever, use your crutches, okay? I love you. I'll drop you off then head to Paris',” Bird said, double checking her purse to make sure everything she needed was there.

“You're not staying for the meeting?” Bam said, following Bird out of the house.

“I have some errands to run for Dimitri, and then I'm heading to Al's Hardware, he's having a sale on tote containers.” Bird unlocked the hummer, although Bam was heading for Bird's new car. “I'm gunna need to use your hummer to bring home the totes home.”

“My baby,” Bam whined, putting his hand on the hood of his hummer. “But she's so new, can't you just put them in the backseat?”

“Fine,” Bird said, fishing her own cars keys out of her purse. “I'll take my car.”

“Thanks babe, I just want to drive her solo for a few more days before letting anyone else drive her, ya know?”

“I get it,” Bird said, opening the passenger side door. “Get in.”

“Thanks.” Bam awkwardly manoeuvred into the car, and passed his crutches to Bird who tucked them into the backseat. She was a little annoyed, but not enough that she would start an argument. Maybe later she would bring it up. Subtly. Like any girl would.

Bird drove Bam to the community centre, and helped him get out and onto his crutches. She kissed his forehead, telling she would be back in a few hours to pick him up. He felt like a toddler going to school for the first time. As soon as Bird was in her car and taking off, Bam waddled into the building. Another day of boring meetings, awesome.

BIRD.

After running errands, and trying to cram totes into her car, Bird went from slightly annoyed to very annoyed. After fighting with the lady at the photography centre, hitting every red light possible on her way home, getting a ticket, and running into her old boss, you'd think that Bam not letting Bird use his hummer wouldn't get to her. But she was ready to fight anyone about anything. So when the time came for Bird to pick up Bam, she just didn't. Instead, she took her time getting the totes into the house. She also unpacked the groceries from the trunk of her car. Then she moved the items Dimitri had her pick up into the trunk. She didn't like the clutter in the front seat, it bothered her.

Bird cooked herself some dinner, and then crawled into bed, just wanting this day to turn off. Even though it was only six o'clock. She tucked herself in nicely, and rolled onto her side. Facing away from Bam's side of the bed. Looking at the empty space was making her feel guilty for not picking him up when promised. Even though it shouldn't have really mattered, because Jeff and Johnny had taken his car anyway and they were staying at Bird's house. She was comfortable, and ready to doze off any moment. But then the boys came in.

And they were loud.

And Bird was mad.

She threw the covers off of her body, and sat up. Giving them to the count of ten to shut up.

One.

The noise got louder for a second before it seemed to be completely quiet. Then something crashed onto the floor and the boys broke out laughing. Bird heard the snaps of cans opening. Beers. They were drinking beers. Bird was gripping onto the edge of her bed in tight fists.

Five.

Bird heard the sound of footsteps on the stairs, but she didn't hear crutches. If Bam thought he could walk into this room with no crutches and not get into serious trouble with Bird he had another thing coming. Bird was ready to fight. She was as ready as any professional wrestler. Basically, she was in a foul, foul, mood, and only destruction would get her out of it. She could destroy some plates. Or something she wanted to get rid of anyway. Or she could pick a fight with Bam, and absolutely destroy him.

Eight.

The doorknob squeaked as it always did when you tried to use it letting Bird know that it was Bam coming in. The other two would have either knocked or kicked the door in. She had months of evidence to back that up. For some reason, this made her blood boil even more. She was just having one of those days.

Ten.

The door opened wide enough for more light to shine into the room. The room wasn't dark, but the lights were off and the blinds were shut. Bird looked over her shoulder at Bam, he had a beer in his hand, and a displeased look on his face. His crutches were nowhere to be found. Bird turned away from him, having no interest in being further disappointed. He said he would use them and he didn't, if she couldn't trust him to do something as simple as follow doctors orders, then what could he be trusted to do?

“Babe?” Bam asked, inching towards the bed. He was limping worse than this morning, so she knew he must have done something to hurt himself more.

“What did you do?”

“Jumped onto a stack of chairs,” Bam said. “Didn't think it would fall.”

“Uh huh,” Bird muttered, tucking herself back under the covers. Bam sat on the edge of the bed, near Bird's feet.

“Why are you going to bed, hun? It's not even dark out.” Bam put his hand on Bird's thigh, but retracted it when he felt her tense. He didn't want to risk making her uncomfortable.

“Bad day,” Bird whispered, turning her head into her pillow. She was ready to explode, and Bam was fairly close to the impact zone.

“Is that why you didn't come get me?”

That was it.

That was the last fucking straw today.

“No,” Bird started, sitting up to face him. “I didn't come get you because there was no room in my car. I didn't come and get you because I didn't want to deal with you lying about using your crutches. I had a shitty day, and I have a headache, and you're just making it worse. So fuck off.”

“Oh,” Bam snipped, standing up. “Well then fine, I'll just go.”

“Fine.”

“Fine.”

Bam walked the few short steps until he was at the door. He stood there for a moment, just holding onto the door handle. Bird heard him take a deep breath, before he turned around, and walked back slowly. He sat exactly where he'd been before. But then leaned towards Bird, and placed a sweet kiss on her lips. He ran a hand up her leg, and stopped it on her waist. Bam pulled away, but stayed close.

“I'm sorry you had a bad day,” Bam said. “And I'm sorry I didn't just let you take the hummer.”

He knew her. He knew exactly what things got under her skin, and what she needed someone to apologize for. Bam knew Bird inside and out, and that made Bird tear up. She leaned into him, and relaxed as he wrapped his arms around her. Bird let a few tears out, while also releasing some of the stress of the day. Bam soothed her, and rubbed her back while she sobbed into his neck. She just needed him right now, and he was there.

Times like this, with Bird just clinging to Bam and Bam proving just how good of a boyfriend he was, made all the hard times, disagreements, and conflicts seem like nothing but the past. Because that's simply what they were, they were just past mistakes that did nothing but bring the two lovers closer together as a couple. This is what love was. Love was a nine to five job that stressed you out, but when the weekend finally arrived, it was glorious. Love was that feeling at five o'clock on a Friday afternoon, when nothing but relief washed over your body. It was dancing to no music, and singing in the shower.

“I love you, Bam.”

BAM.

Watching Bird cry was like watching the last episode of your favourite show. He hated it. He hated that she had a bad day, and that he couldn't do anything but hold her right now. He wanted to be able to just make her feel better, but sometimes you just have to cry. And Bird just needed to cry.

Bam rubbed up and down her back, occasionally kissing her forehead and saying reassuring things. He would whisper in her ear the things he loved about her, and exactly what she needed to hear. Bird didn't deserve any of the crap she got. Bam thought it absurd that he should even have to think those words. It should be common sense to everyone.

Don't be a dick to Bird, she's one of the good ones.

“Bam?”

“Yes?”

“Can you go get me some skittles?” Bird asked, her tears finally began slowing down finally, but her voice was a little rocky still.

“I don't think we have any downstairs, I'll have to step out.” Bam kissed the top of Bird's head. “I'll go to the store by Ape's, and I'll use my crutches, promise.”

“Thank you,” Bird said, holding out her arms for one last hug. “You're so good to me.”

And for the first time in a long time, the words didn't sound like a lie.