‹ Prequel: We Are Broken
Status: Complete!

Two Pieces

Chapter 18

Matt flashed the crowd one last dimpled smile before waving goodbye. He made his way back stage, taking out his in-ear monitor. The roadies were rushing around, packing up the equipment. His roadie and friend, Jason Berry, smiled seeing him approaching.

“Hey, man. Great fucking show!” He handed Matt a towel and his cell phone.

Matt thanked him and handed him his in-ear monitor. Then he reached into his back pocket and grabbed his receiver, handing it over to Jason as well.

Matt immediately checked his phone, hoping to see a text from his wife. But, like usual, nothing was sent. He let out a defeated sigh and slipped the device into his pocket.

“I’m really sorry, dude,” said Jason with a frown. He’s in charge of guarding the guys’ phones while they are performing. Sometimes during the show he checks Matt’s phone periodically to see if Rylee sent anything. For once, he’d like to see Matt happy after a show.

Matt just shrugged it off. “It’s whatever, man.”

Jason gave him a firm pat on the back before getting back to work.

Matt dragged the towel down his face, wiping the sweat away. He took a bottle of water from the catering table and guzzled it down. Once he emptied it, he breathed a sigh of satisfaction and tossed the plastic bottle in the trash.

“Dude, that show was epic,” said Brian, taking a beer from the table.

“Yeah it was. Insane crowd”, said Matt.

“How about we go celebrate?” Zack offered.

Cheers of agreement sounded from everyone. They all looked over at Matt, who hadn’t yet agreed to it.

Matt smiled and shrugged. “Sure! Why not?”

Jimmy gave everyone a fist bump before leading the way to the local bar.

The guys’ walked into a small brick building. A bright green neon light hung over the entrance. Graffiti covered the walls of the entrance hallway. The smell of cigarette smoke lingered in the air. It was dingy, to say the least, but perfect for a group of guys looking to shoot the shit and drink.

They picked a couple of vacant tables towards the back of the bar. Jimmy and Brian volunteered to go up and order a round of Jack and Coke for everyone. Matt took a seat beside Zack.

He took a glance around the dim lit room. People much older than him and his friends occupied the other tables. A pool table sat in the center of the room. Wooden tables, with graffiti carved into them, were scattered about. The only thing that seemed to be alive in this place was the old television that hung up in the corner of the room.

A bell chimed from the entrance, signaling an arrival. Matt turned around to see the opening band walking over to their table. His gaze fixed on Ryan for a second before focusing his gaze elsewhere. He hasn’t said much to Ryan since trying to punch him a few months ago. He occasionally greeted him when with Rylee, but only for her sake. He still didn’t like him.

“Hey, man. Can I have a smoke?” Zack asked, Miguel, the lead guitarist of the opening band.

“Sure, bro!” Miguel reached into his shirt pocket and pulled out a pack of Marlboro Cigarettes and handed him one. Zack took the cigarette and lit it. He inhaled the smoke deeply before exhaling.

“You want one?” Miguel offered Matt.

“Nah, I’m good, man,” Matt declined.

Miguel just nodded and replaced the pack into his pocket.

Matt sat quietly and waited patiently for Jimmy and Brian to return with the drinks.

“Drink up, mother fuckers!” said Jimmy, setting the drinks on the table. Matt reached for a drink but quickly retreated as Ryan reached for the same drink. Ryan apologized and took a different glass.

It was nearing midnight and the night was still going strong for everyone but Matt.

The alcohol in his system washed away his defense mechanisms. All the emotions that he camouflaged started to rise to the surface.

He got up from his bar stool and casually stretched.

“I’m gonna go watch some TV,” he told Zack.

Zack nodded, not noticing his friend’s mood change.

Matt walked over to the other side of the bar and took a seat by the TV. The light from the TV illuminated the vacant area. He leaned back against the worn out couch and rubbed his hands down his face.

He absolutely hated feeling vulnerable. He used to be so good at putting his feelings aside. He was never the one to let a girl get to him. He grew up with a forgive and forget mentality when it came to relationships.

That’s until Rylee came along.

He still remembers the day they first met. It was during his senior year of High School. She was new to the school. She quickly became friends with Stephanie, who was dating Brian at the time.

He remembers how reserved she was in the beginning. But that changed as time went on. She was the first and only person to break down his stubborn demeanor. And once he finally realized that, he refused to let her slip through his fingers.

“Hey, are you okay?” Matt looked up to see Ryan sitting on the couch across from him.

He shot him a grave expression, wondering why he was even talking to him.

“Yeah. I’m fine.”

Ryan nodded and took a sip of his beer. Matt waited for him to leave.

Instead, Ryan leaned back against the couch, getting comfortable.

Matt groaned inwardly.

“So, where is Rylee?” asked Ryan.

Matt, already slightly irritated, shot him a glare.

“I’m sure you know what happened already.”

Ryan shook his head slowly. “What are you talking about?”

“She went back home,” Matt huffed out.

Ryan shot him a quizzical expression. “Why? Did she give birth early?”

Matt tensed up with each of Ryan’s questions. He didn’t want to talk about this. “Why are you even talking to me?”

Ryan smirked at Matt’s attempt to intimidate him. For some reason, Ryan didn’t see Matt as a threat.

“Just being friendly is all.”

Matt rolled his eyes.

“Well, I don’t feel like being bothered right now,” he grumbled out.

Ryan sat up and took another drink of his beer.

“C’mon. What happened? I know Rylee wouldn’t leave for no reason.”

Matt scoffed, “You don’t know her at all. So don’t pretend like you do.”

Ryan laughed, which only added fuel to Matt’s fire.

“You may be right, but I know her well enough.”

Matt groaned and sat up straight, placing his elbows on his legs. “If I tell you why she left, will you leave me the fuck alone?”

Ryan gave him a quick nod.

“Bella was sending me text messages and I kept it from her. She eventually found out and went home,” Matt explained, “I don’t even know how the bitch got my number in the first place.”

Ryan froze with his beer in hand.

He regained his composure and finished off the rest of his beer before setting it down on the table in front of him.

Matt watched the younger man wring his hands together nervously. The sly movement piqued his interest.

“What’s wrong with you?”

Ryan smiled nervously, “I know how Bella got your number.”

Matt scowled. “How?”

Ryan could feel his hands start to shake, now feeling intimidated by the larger man across from him.

“I uh...gave Bella your phone number.”

“Are you fucking kidding me?” Matt growled.

“It was at the beginning of tour, before I met you and your wife. I swear!”

Matt stood up swiftly and grabbed Ryan by the shirt.

“I don’t give a fuck when you did it,” Matt grumbled, “You still gave her my number and now I’m paying for the consequences of your actions.”

Ryan chuckled, “Don’t pin this mess on me. You are the one that fucked up. Not me! So I suggest you let me go and take responsibility for your actions.”

Matt gripped his shirt tighter before colliding his left fist with Ryan’s mouth.

Ryan could taste the blood in his mouth from the blow. Just as he was about to retaliate, the guys’ were over to restrain the both of them.

He squirmed, trying to get over to Matt.

“Let me fucking go,” he yelled.

“What the fuck are you gonna do? Huh? You can’t take me down, you fuckin’ pussy,” Matt taunted.

Brian signaled for Jimmy to come over and help restrain him.

Matt finally calmed down once Ryan was taken out of the bar.

Brian and Jimmy released their hold on him.

“You all good, man?” asked Johnny.

Matt nodded and cracked his knuckles.

“Damn, I should’ve brought popcorn for the show.”

Matt looked over to see Bella walking over. A smirk adorned her boney face. Her long blonde hair looked oily and dirty. She wore a black leather vest, exposing the needle marks from her drug usage.

“Fighting never resolves anything, ya know?” she stated with amusement.

“What the fuck are you doing here? You don’t work for us anymore,” said Matt, glaring hard.

She threw her head back in laughter.

“Thought you’d be happy to see me, Matthew,” she walked closer to him, stumbling a bit.

Her glassy eyes locked with his.

“You can’t get rid of me that easy. A guy in the opening band really enjoys my company, if ya know what I mean.”

She rubbed her hand over his sculpted chest.

Matt quickly smacked her hand away.

“Aww, don’t be so mean. I just came to say hello.”

“Well we don’t want anything to do with you. So leave,” Jimmy seethed.

“You weren’t telling me to leave when we were drinking on the bus together. We all enjoyed that, didn’t we? Especially you, Matt,” she winked.

Matt’s last string of sanity finally snapped.

He snatched her arm and pulled her outside. He threw her up against the brick wall of the building and glared down at her with pure hatred.

“Why so rough?” she asked, seductively.

Matt slammed his hand on the wall, making her flinch.

“Fucking stop it! I don’t want you.”

“You’re lying. I know you want me, Matthew,” she purred.

He grasped on to her throat and squeezed just enough to get her attention.

“Look, I don’t want anything to do with you. What happened between us was a big fucking mistake.”

“You belong with me..” she choked out.

Matt’s grip on her tightened, making her gasp for breath.

“Shut the fuck up! I suggest you leave me alone. Cause if you don’t, I’ll put a restraining order on you. And you don’t want the court to get involved, especially with your drug usage.”

He could see the fear in her eyes at the mentioning of her using.

“Do you want to get locked up?” he growled.

Tears were running down her cheeks as she choked out a “No.”

“I didn't think so,” he loosed up his grip, “Stay away from me. No contact, nothing. Got it?”

She nodded quickly.

Matt removed his hand from her throat. She doubled over in a coughing fit.

Her terrified gaze met his ruthless glare.

“Fine. You’ll never hear from me again,” she said, backing away from him.

“Is that a promise,” he asked.

“Yes. That’s a promise.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed this. Let me know what you think! :)

(I finally included a picture of Bella in the character section. Took me long enough lol)