‹ Prequel: We Are Broken
Status: Complete!

Two Pieces

Epilogue

6 months later:

Rylee stared aimlessly out of the living room window as her hands spontaneously folded each article of clothing, some neater than others. The gentle ocean breeze calmed her racing mind as she thought about the changes that were soon to come. It was time for Avenged Sevenfold to embark on another tour. Meaning Matt would have to leave for the summer. Her parenting skills would definitely be put to the test in the coming months. Starting today, actually, as Matt was scheduled to leave in a couple of hours.

This would be a bittersweet tour for the both of them. It would be the farthest and longest time Matt has ever been separated from Geneva. Plus, him and Rylee were closer than they’ve ever been. They were finally on the same page, a unit rather than two separate individuals. Months of daily teamwork, communication and learning have all contributed to their renewed chemistry. And not to mention the rare moments they spent alone in the bedroom. Maybe a little distance would be good for them. Distance is known to make the heart grow fonder, right?

Rylee broke free from her thoughts at the sound of someone knocking on the door. She knew who the rhythmic knocks belonged to without having to look out the peephole. Her smile grew wider with each step she took. She opened the door and inhaled a dramatic gasp, acting as if Jimmy’s presence was unexpected, although Matt had informed her earlier that he had arrived back home from his vacation.

Jimmy stood on the welcome mat, grinning ear to ear. In his hands he held what looked to be a stuffed bear, or a dog. What ever it was, it looked soft as hell. Rylee didn’t think to take it from him before wrapping him up in a big hug.

“Nice to see you here, Jim. How was Hawaii?”

Jimmy gave her a couple of tight squeezes before releasing her as he stepped into the house. “It was awesome. I’m well rested and ready to party!”

Rylee led him into the living room, so that she could finish packing Matt’s clothes. He plopped down on the couch with a satisfied sigh and handed out the stuffed animal for her to take.

“This is for my lovely niece.”

Rylee smiled down at him sweetly.

“Aww how cute!” She gave the bear a thorough examination, fluffing it’s soft exterior. “She’s gonna love this. In fact, how about you give this to her yourself.”

She handed it back to him, “She’s currently upstairs with Matt. He wanted some quality time with her before leaving today.”

Jimmy gave a nod and bounced his leg up and down with excitement. Her and Matt weren’t the only ones wrapped around Geneva’s little finger. Jimmy was her third biggest fan. He was her Godfather, after all. Matt and Rylee thought making him her Godfather was the least they could do. Since he supported them both during their rough patch.

Once the last bit of Matt’s clothes was folded up, Rylee checked for stragglers before pressing them down into the suitcase.

“Keeping the tradition going I see,” said Jimmy, as he unraveled a pair of boxers.

Rylee smacked his hand and stuffed the pair of boxers into the side of the suitcase.

“Yup! I’ll be packing his suitcase until the day he retires. Actually, he didn’t let me pack for the last tour because I was pregnant. Was so silly,” she said, shaking her head.

“I remember. He treated you like a porcelain doll before everything went to hell.”

“Yup. That he did..” Rylee took in a deep breath as she pushed thoughts of the past into the back of her mind. Where they belonged.

“This time will be different, Rylee.”

Rylee could hear the honesty laced in his voice. He was right and she knew it. But she also knew herself. That little slither of worry would eventually creep its way back into her mind. And she’ll be gripping onto her cell phone like a vice for his calls.

“But I’ll keep an eye on him. We all will. So don’t worry.”

Jimmy knew her all to well.

Rylee ran a hand threw her hair and laughed softly.

“Thank you, jimmy. Don’t know what I would do without you. Matt and I owe you big time for not letting us divorce.”

Jimmy shook his head and waved her off. “Don’t have to thank me. I didn’t do much.”

“Are you kidding? You had us hand cuffed everyday for, like, two months. And as much as I wanted to scream at you for doing it at the time, I’m really glad you did.”

She could feel herself starting to tear up. She motions for him to stand up, just so she could give him another big hug. He doesn’t reject it. He hugged her back with just as much strength, if not more. He may not had felt like he did much to help, but he knew his efforts were greatly appreciated by his best friends and that made him happy.

“We love ya, Rev. Never forget that, okay?”

“And I love you both more.”

Rylee unlocked her arms from around his waist and wiped at her tear-streaked face.

“Can we go up and see my God daughter now?” asked Jimmy, ready to escape the sappy moment.

“Yeah, let me pack one more thing.”

She reached into her back pocket and pulled out a folded up piece of paper. She brought the paper up to her lips and kissed it before laying it on top of the packed clothes. Then she pulled the zipper around the suitcase with a grunt.

Jimmy raced up the stairs; two at a time, with the stuffed bear in hand. Rylee followed up behind him, wearing a huge grin. The sight they saw when they entered the nursery could melt the heart of a sniper.

Matt was laid out on his back, on the carpet, while Geneva sat on his stomach. He poked her belly lightly, receiving a high-pitched giggle, before she returned a poke to his chest.

“Hey, Rev!” He greeted, going in for another poke to Geneva’s stomach.

“Hey, dude. Hi, Gigi!”

Matt picked up Geneva as he sat up and placed her gently in his lap. He smiled sweetly over at Rylee, who perched herself in the rocking chair.

Jimmy got down on his knees in front of Geneva. They could tell she recognized him from her little babbles.

“I gotcha something. Here…”

She reached out and seized the bear into her little hands. She observed it with a faint dimpled grin, before sticking the ear into her mouth to suck on.

“Nothing yummier than the ear of a bear,” Jimmy joked.

Matt ran his fingers through her dark brown locks affectionately.

Rylee glanced over at the clock on the wall. Her heart weighed heavy at the sight. It was just about time for him and Jimmy to leave.

“It’s half past 4, guys.”

Both men glanced over at her with a pout. Matt sighed and placed Geneva on the floor while he stood to his feet. Rylee picked her up off the floor and followed the men back down to the living room.

“I’m gonna head back to my place really quick. The bus should pull up outside soon, “ said Jimmy.

He kissed Geneva’s cheek and told her he would see her later.

“Thanks for packing, babe,” said Matt, rounding up his suitcase, along with his other belongings. He stayed quiet as he sat all his stuff by the front door.

“Don’t cry, honey,” he said as he walked back over to Rylee. Matt wiped at her face before leaning in for a passionate kiss.

“I love you.”

"I love you too,” Rylee responded.

Then he took Geneva into his arms and hugged her against his chest.

“Daddy’s gonna miss you so much.”

Geneva wrapped her little arms around his neck instinctively.

Matt couldn’t stop the tears from coming.

“I’m gonna fly you and mommy out every chance I get, okay? I love you, Gigi. Be good for mommy.”

The breaks of the bus squealed outside in front of their house. Matt reluctantly removed Geneva from his embrace and handed her off to Rylee.

“I packed you something special in your suitcase,” said Rylee as she followed him out the door and onto the front lawn.

Zacky and Johnny greeted her and Geneva as they helped store Matt’s bags into the storage compartment of the bus.

“Is it a pair of your panties?” Matt teased.

Rylee laughed and laid her head on his chest.

“I did pack a pair of those, per your request. You freak..”

“Yesss!”

Matt pulled his girls’ into one last embrace before heading for the bus.

“DA?” Geneva called as he started to walk away.

He didn’t turn around, though. He couldn’t. Hearing her cry as he lifted his suitcase up the bus steps broke his heart. He couldn’t even bring himself to look out the window as the bus pulled off.

“You gonna be okay, man?” asked Johnny.

Matt gave a weak nod. He threw his suitcase onto his bunk, not in the mood to unpack it just yet. Instead he went to go join the others at the front of the bus. Brian handed him a cold beer.

“You’ll see them again, ya know?” said Zack.

Matt didn’t say anything. He needed a moment to get his emotions in check before holding conversation. Jimmy must’ve noticed his struggle.

“Matt, why don’t you go relax and unpack for a bit? Take your mind off of things.”

Matt drank the last bit of his beer and threw it into the trash. He patted Jimmy’s shoulder as he walked back to the bunks. He shoved the heavy suitcase over and sat down beside it. He ripped the zipper from around the top and lifted the flap open.

Just as he was about to pull out the clothes to shove into a drawer, the folded up piece of paper caught his attention. His heart began to thump in his chest. He hasn’t received a letter from Rylee since the last one she wrote. The day she caught him with Bella. He grabbed at it and flipped it over, seeing her red lipstick stain imprinted on it. The corners of his mouth lifted into a smile. All of his worries seemed to disappear with each word:

Dear, Matt

Here I am, once again, writing you a letter. And you, once again, are probably wondering why. I could tell you everything I’m about to say in person, but I’d be too much of a blubbering, emotional mess to get it all out. Remember the day I told you I was pregnant? And you said we would be okay? Well you were right. In fact, we are more than okay. I couldn’t have asked for a better father for Geneva. I’ve had the pleasure of watching you love her unconditionally, everyday, for the past seven months. There is nothing better than watching the same man that feared fatherhood do an absolutely amazing job at being one. Now I’m going to be honest here; if this letter were written nine months earlier, it would be much different. I probably would’ve mentioned that horrible D word. Yes, divorce. But I also would have asked your opinion on housing for Geneva and myself. And finances. And what car is best to drive. Why? Because I would’ve been kinda lost without you. I needed you then just like I need you now. You’ve also proven to me just how committed you are as a husband and as a father. Neither of us is perfect. But as we continue this life long journey as spouses and as parents, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, and in sickness and in health, I want you to remember something: A perfect marriage is just two people who refuse to give up on each other.

I will always love you to the moon and back!

-Rylee
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the end! I just want to thank all of you for reading and subscribing. I'm a new writer and i'm so glad this story turned out well. I've actually been planning a trilogy for this story. It will be from Geneva's perspective. I had so much fun writing for this story and i'm curious to know what's in store for the whole cast in the future. So that should arrive after i start writing for it.

Thanks again XOXO