Status: In Progress

Indigo Sky

I Would

Chapter Eight: I Would
*Callie’s POV

It was kind of funny, really, to watch Lex and Harry try not to stare at each other the whole meal. Louis had told us about catching them kissing in the hallway. I had looked down at Mark and Paul when he announced this, because I never know how Mark is going to take it. I mean, he’s super cool and young and everything, but he is our manager. But neither he or Paul looked mad, they just looked…interested I guess.

Alexa is one of those girls who sort of has to be in a relationship. I don’t think we’ve ever really not known her to be in a serious relationship. She dated Tyler on and off for two years and probably since we’ve moved to California is the longest that we’ve ever known her to be single. I think we’re all just super relieved that she’s met someone and will not be calling Tyler when we get back to the house.

I’ll admit that I’m still kind of nervous hanging around with the band. They’re famous! And I know that’s what we’re shooting for, but it’s hard to forget that we’re still technically nobodies from Illinois and we’re sitting around eating dinner with a famous band like it’s no big deal.

“Who wants to do a shot?” Niall asked, signaling for the waiter. “I’m thinking it’s going to be a tequila kind of night.”

“I think that’s our cue to leave.” Paul commented, standing up. “If you guys are drinking, remember to use the back exit to the building. The car will be waiting out there for you and the cameras won’t be there.”

“Have fun.” Mark just said, looking around at us. “And try to behave.” He winked at Nikki.

I was glad to see that Nikki was sticking with a coke tonight. She had been a total crab-apple the night after her drinking the other night. Hangovers and Nikki do not get along well. She’s hard to wake up in the morning anyway and adding a hangover into the mix made it nearly impossible to get her up and at it the next day. Surprisingly, Mark was cool about the whole thing. I thank our lucky stars every day that we have Mark as our manager. He’s been there and done that and lived the lifestyle and so it makes it a little easier in some situations. I trust Mark with our career and to make sure we don’t get too out of control.

Speaking of out of control, I glanced over at Bree, who was laughing at something Zayn was saying. They were beautiful together, his dark head bent close to her light one. Zayn has that bad boy, mysterious look to him that I know she likes. But Bree never really gets serious about boys. She’ll mess around and date around but I’ve never known to have a serious boyfriend, surprisingly the exact opposite of her partner in crime.

“Callie?” Liam asked, breaking me out of my thoughts. “Do you want a shot of Patron?”

I looked over at him in surprise. I’d had a margarita at dinner because everyone else had and I didn’t want to be lame. But I didn’t think that I really came across as the shot taking type of girl.

“Um, I’m not sure.” I said honestly. “Will I like it?”

“Yes!” Bree announced. Of course she would tell me that.

I was trying to mentally calculate in my head how much our dinner was up to and wasn’t Patron expensive? I had the credit card that Lauren had given us for expenses but I knew it had a limit. Mark paid the credit card but we had a budget and it was going to be pretty meager until we started selling some music.

“No thanks.” I said, trying not to look worried about the bill we were racking up here. This was why we didn’t really go out much here, we didn’t have the funds to mess around and just party. When Lex and Bree go out they always trick some guy into paying for their drinks or they don’t drink. I didn’t want to assume they were picking up the bill and then when it came time to leave I had to charge some kind of ridiculous bill to the company credit card.

“Oh c’mon Callie,” Liam (probably the most normal of the group) wheedled, smiling. “I already bought the whole bottle, you’re going to make us try and finish this off by ourselves?”

“Yeah, that means Bree has to take twice as many shots to make up for you not taking one.” Niall said, laughing.

Bree sighed dramatically. “I suppose I can take one for the team here, Cal.”

Lex laughed. “So self sacrificing, Bree.”

“What can I say? I’m a martyr.” Bree joked, keeping her serious face for all of a minute.

I burst into laughter. “Okay, okay, I’ll have one shot.”

Of course the boys wouldn’t take one for an answer either. Before I knew it, we had finished the bottle off and were sipping on margarita’s again. Bree was loudly arguing with Niall and Zayn about some ridiculous conversation about soccer versus football. Nikki was talking to Liam and giggling (she was the only one who hadn’t had any Patron, but she had agreed to a margarita).

I looked down at the two empty chairs at the end of the table. Lex and Harry had disappeared somewhere and I hadn’t even realized it.

The boys rounded us up and we headed back into the warm night towards the car, Lex and Harry wandered back from the dark corner of the bar where’d they’d been. I hadn’t even noticed that Liam had picked up the bill.

This was probably the most fun we’d had since we came here. Everyone probably thinks it’s so glamorous to come to California and record an album, but really we’d been cooped up in the studio or trying not to kill each other in our little condo for most of the time. Like I said, we had no money yet to go out and do anything. And there was a lot of pressure to record quality music to start making money.

“Thanks for dinner;” I said, hugging Louis, who I got along the best with. He waved it off like it was no big deal, which maybe to him it wasn’t.

We exited through the back door of the restaurant and into the dark Escalade where the driver had been waiting for hours. We piled back into the car and the boys dropped us back off in front of our building.

“Thanks again for a great evening.” I told them as we clambered out of the car.

“Don’t mention it.” Zayn said. “We should do it again sometime.”