Bleach Drabbles

What does fighting bring?

Standing alone in the garden, I saw the light branches of the cherry blossom trees blowing in the wind. Contrary to prior belief, the light pink flowers brought me too much sadness, and too many thoughts of all the times I had used my sword only to lose. Still breathtaking though.

Footsteps padded softly up behind me. I knew the person that such light feet belonged to knew that no matter how light the steps, I would always hear. I turned down, her dark eyes shining. Yet there was something hiding behind them, something that I could not guess. I spoke not a word and waited for her to find the correct order of words to tell me. She didn't come to me for something useless.

I watched her small throat quiver. “Byakuya nee-sama?” I responded with a slight tilt of my head. “You see, I have come to ask you a favor.” She stopped for a moment to regain her trail of thought before continuing quickly. “You do not have to accept of course! But…. I would like it if you would take a look at my bankai.”

I had seen it once before. It was beautiful and perfectly fitting for a noble. “Is something the matter with it?”

My reply startled her. “Oh of course not! It is just that I feel like I don’t know when I’ll get the chance to practice it again. Especially in battle.” She stood silently before adding, “Or if I should use it in battle so quickly again anyway. An unmastered bankai is not something one should use on a whim.”

She was smart. She had thought this all through before speaking to me. I could tell. “I believe that it is wise to practice a bankai before using it in battle, yet I have learned,” A memory of a lesson I learned from the wild 11th division captain sunk into my head. “that there is not always time to prepare, and that there is such a thing as knowing too much of what you are capable of.” My eyes flickered back to the light pink blossoms. “Be wary of this, Rukia.”

“Yes of course!”

“I must ask, why did you come to me for such a matter of practice?” I could name more of her friends with a bankai then I had fingers on both hands. They may not have been the safest choices, but never the less, they had the second release of their zanpakuto.

“You see, as much as I love Ichigo and Renji and all those other crazy maniacs running around with mastered bankai, none of them match up to the beauty and talent that yours holds, nee-sama.” This answer was one that startled me. Of course I had noticed her ever growing affection for me, soon after I had saved her from what could have been myself.

One of my hands that had been firmly held in position upon my lap, began to reach up to offer her to sit next to me on the soft grass. Her little fingers fit into mine as she, not so gracefully folded her legs under herself. “May I ponder your request a day or so?”

“Yes! Please do.”

“Fighting is not everything. Yet it seems to have taken up much of the last two years.”

She smiled, despite the subject of my comment. “This fighting may have brought pain or weakness, but now we are stronger. We have new friends too.”

That Kurosaki was quite the friend for sure. The thought of him keeping his precious sister in his closet made a shiver reach up the back of my neck. I forgot about it soon enough. It was then that I decided to do something unusual and lean back into the grass feeling it brush against the back of my head.

“Now is a time for a long peace.” Rukia nodded her head and continued to smile softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
If there is a point of view that you might like. Recommend one!