Status: Finished, check out the sequel

How Many Times Can You Race Around the Tree Before You Catch Me?

Finnish

"Now come on We’re going to be pulling into the hotel any second.”

Everyone was sitting in the front lounge talking once Ghost and I left the bathroom. Chris and Sabrina we squished together in one of the table booth seats with Josh across from him on his computer, Balz, Rich, Matt, and Ryan were spread out along a couch with the other inhabited by Ricky and Vinny, whom Ghost joined. Their sound guy was making something in the microwave with AJ and Shane. I had to count off all the people.

“Are you counting?” I turned to look at Josh.

“Yeah, your crew is huge.”

“Not really, we’re pretty normal sized over here.” I shrugged at Shane.

“I mean I guess. I’m just super used to it being me, Bryce and James. Plus Mark on Merch” Not seeing anywhere to really sit, I stayed where I was. Leaning against the sliver of wall between the bathroom door and the table.

“I thought Mark was your drum tech?” I shook my head at Josh’s question.

“No he is photo and video and merch because that’s where he fit.”

“I thought Bryce was you sound guy?” With a deep breath, I began to explain our roles.

“Ok, Bryce was hired as a guitar tech, he is also superb at sound. James has been Christian’s drum tech since we had money to pay for a drum tech. Mark came at Jake’s request and replaced me as merch. We had a sound guy that was supposed to come out for this tour, but we decided that Bryce would do sound and I would take over as guitar tech. James occasionally does sound or monitors for me but not really. He tends to switch places with Mark during the sets so he can do photo and video.”

“Huh.” Josh shrugged and went back to his computer.

We had just started pulling into a hotel parking lot after that. Everyone started to move to the bunk room and grab their things. The only people left were Vinny and Josh. Vinny motioned for me to come sit. My eyes glanced at Josh.

“I’m going to get the bags out of the bays. Do you need anything Vinny?” Vinny shook his head at Josh as he stood.

“Alright,” He turned to me,” I don’t know how you’d feel about it, but I’m sure one of the guys wouldn’t mind sharing with you. If not you can always stay in the bus. Let me know if you need anything else.” After I thanked him, he left to go do what he said he was going to do.

I took a deep breath and looked at Vinny. He extended his arms to be in a childish way signaling that he wanted me to come sit with him.

“No.” He looked taken aback.

“What’s wrong?” Making sure the bunk area door was closed, I sat across from him.

“I want us to work, but I don’t want everyone to know yet. Waking up this morning I can pass off as having done that in our sleep.” He sighed and sat forward.

“OK, but I’ll tell you right now. Down the road I want people to know. You know it’s not fair to hide something like we are two in the closet teens in high school.” I couldn’t help but chuckle at his comparison before going back to being serious.

“Vinny, I would love nothing more than to share this with people. However, you have to remember that I am not used to this.” I sat forward as well trying to speak more clearly.

“I get that, but I’m going to push it.”

Before I could replay everyone started walking out of the bunk room. I sat back as they all started exiting the bus.

“I’m going to get my stuff. I’ll see you outside.”

Vinny stood and went to the bunk area. I decided that now was probably a good time to call the guys. It was 11 AM. Outside, everyone was gathered around Josh as he handed out keys and room assignments. I dialed Jake’s number and walked towards the end of the bus where the trailer was.

“Alright, Chris and Sabrina with Rich, Vinny and Ghost, AJ and Shane, Ryan and Ricky, Balz and J, Me and Matt.”I heard him hand out keys and rooms from afar.

“Hello?” Jake answered sleepily.

“It’s 11 AM?”

“What does that mean?” I took a deep breath and held my temper.

“It means that you guys should be loading in.” I walked to the other side of the trailer.

“That’s not my job.” Temper no longer contained.

“I don’t give a fuck Jake. I don’t know what happened to you, but you’ve been a real ass since we got on that bus a few days ago. It’s going to stop. Now. And you’re going to get your ass up and start loading.” My voice raised as each word came out of my mouth.

“Fuck off, You’re not here. What are you going to do?” My jaw dropped. Jake had never been this way towards me.

“Ya know what Jake, nothing. I’m not going to do anything. Find a new TM because I quit.” I hung up the phone and immediately called Bryce.

“Hey, I’m unpacking the trailer. What’s up?” I sat down on the wheel well of the trailer.

“I quit, take over as TM and call in a new tech.” There was silence on the other end of the phone.

“Bryce?”

“You quit?”

“Yeah, Jake told me to fuck off. So I will.”

“Jax, Jake is a fucking idiot. Don’t make a rash decision because of the fuck head. Just come back tomorrow and it won’t be an issue.” I sighed.

“No, it will be an issue. It’s been an issue since I started working with you guys. I’m going back to working with ADTR after this tour anyways. I’ll just take the next few weeks off or find a different job.” He groaned.

“Jax you’re a god damn adult. don’t be so fucking childish. You’re fucking in charge and that’s it. If you’re gonna let that sorry excuse of a person right now change any of that you’re only hurting yourself. I’m going to do my fucking job. You can dip if you want but don’t call us back when you don’t know what to do.”

He hung up and left me fucking speechless.

“Fucking hell.” I immediately called someone that I thought could help me.

“Hyvää huomenta rakkaus.” Ville answered.(Good morning love)

“Eikö yöaika Suomessa?”(Isn’t it night time in Finland?) He chuckled.

“kyllä, mutta se on aamuna” (Yes, but it’s morning there) I smiled a bit.

“ihan hyvä”(Fair enough)

“Mikä vikana?”(what’s wrong?)

“Lopetin työ kaverit, Jaakko kertoi minulle vittuun ja vain pysty käsittelemääkanssa taistelevat enää.” (I quit working for the guys. Jake told me to fuck off and I just can’t handle working with the fighting anymore.) He sighed over the phone.

“mitä aioteen tehdä nyt?”(What are you going to do?)

“Toivoin voisitte auttaa minua sen kanssa…” (I was hoping you could help me with that….” He laughed.

“Tulemme Yhdysvaltoihin marraskuussa joinakin päivinä. Olet enemmäm kuin tervetullut tulemaan meille sitten. Sitä ennen meillä joku pois päivämäärät alkaa elokuussa. ne ovat kaikki tänne.” (We are coming to America in November for some dates. You are more than welcome to come out with us. Before that we have some one off dates starting in August. They are all over here.) I sighed.

“Onko sinulla kaikki elokuussa ajankohdalle?” (Do you have everyone for those August dates?) He hummed in thought.

“Voisimme tehdä tilaa teille jos se mitä olet pyytänyt.”(We could make room for you if that is what you’re asking.) A smile made it’s way onto my face.

“Rakastan sinua ikuisesti.”(I would love you forever) He chuckled.

“Mennä varata lennon. Olla täällä 5 elokuu.”(Go book a flight. Be here on August 5th) I squealed in excitement.

“Minä rakastan sinua!” (I love you!) I squeaked again.

“Joo joo. Minun täytyy mennä, mutta kutsun teitä uudelleen. Olen itse menossa kokoukseen noin niitä ilmenee. Heippa.” (Yeah Yeah. I have to go but I will call you again later. I am actually going to a meeting about those shows. bye.) After a small goodbye I hung up.

At least after the tour was taken care of for me. Now I needed to take care of that plane ticket and find something to do about the rest of the summer. I walked back to where everyone else had been. Only a few people remained.

“What was that about?” Vinny asked me as I re entered the group.

“Lining up some new jobs. Speaking of which, anyone have a computer I can borrow?”