Status: NaNoWriMo 2014 - 22,367 / 50, 000

The God Who Stood Alone

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.
- Fredrick Neitzsche.

Roman Amadeus Devores had always been everything to everyone. He is smart, handsome, hard-working, polite, gentle, and above all – rich. The name Devores has rung across seven continents. His name. His father's name. It has inspired novels and magazine headlines, has pulled the interest of business tycoons and presidents. Entrepreneur who built an empire of cancer and crude oil; John Devores.
His father, the ruthless business broker; his mother, the sickness, the liar; his brother, the insanity, the corruption; his sister, the weak link. Himself? The monster.
When young women begin to disappear, the eyes of the entire town are drawn. A few people cast glances at the Devores Institute of Cancer Research, but none to Roman Amadeus Devores. After all, he is the town angel. Only one set of eyes meet his own, and Amadeus knows it.
Did he kill the girls? Maybe.
Did he know what happened? No.
He only knew one thing: he was hungry.
He was a monster.
He just didn't know what kind.

[NOTE:Contains some scenes of varying sexual description, extreme violence/abuse, and covers some material involving mental disorders and struggles. May not be appropriate for readers under 13 - or for those struggling with recovery of any kind. Trigger warnings not covered.

Written for National November Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).

Work in Progress.
  1. Part I
    "The Dragon's Garden"
  2. Part II
    "Son of an Empire"
  3. Part III
    "Dark Coffee"
  4. Part IV
    "Point of Impact"
  5. Part V
    "A Place to Call Home"
  6. Part VI
    "The Rising Storm"
  7. Part VII
    "Autumns Blood"