Status: Hello everyone! I haven't written anything in forever, but this idea popped in my head. I hope you like it, and if you do, bear with me please. :)

The Reunion

Welcome to Berwang

Chapter 1: Welcome to Berwang

"There it is!" Charlie shrieked, nearly jolting out of her seat and tearing through her seatbelt.

I followed her gaze, my eyes falling on a secluded chalet. The lights inside were lit, a collection of candles casting dancing shadows in the windowsill. From the other cars parked out in front, I guessed that Nick, his entourage and Liam were already there. A nauseating feeling twisted and turned my stomach upside down.

Those bloody nerves.

"Oh, isn't it lovely?" My redheaded friend crooned, her arm hooking around my shoulder as she kept her finger pointed at the chalet, looking at it in awe.

Charlie's older brother, Liam, usually worked here in the high seasons as a snowboarding instructor. He was only a few years older than us. Most of what I remembered of him growing up was him playing football out in the park with his other, also older mates. And locking himself up in his bedroom to play videogames all day long. I hadn't seen him since I'd gone off to college.

Today was all about rebuilding those bridges that had fallen apart due to lack of maintenance, I suppose.

The car slowed its velocity, tires grinding against the fresh and almost entirely unscathed snow as it did. Finally, it came to a full stop in front of our temporary, humble abode. Max filed out of the car almost immediately after turning off the engine, popping open the trunk to withdraw our luggage and carry it towards the porch.

"Don't you need any help with that?" I asked, ducking out of the car, slinging my grey, weathered Eastpack over my shoulder.

"Oh, no, ladies. You make yourselves comfortable." He assured me, waving his hand at me dismissively.

Charlie was already rifling around her bag to fetch her wallet, following Max up the stairs and onto the porch. "Here." She said with a grateful smile, pushing a few eurobills into his palm. "Thanks for the ride. And all the touristy advice."

"Ah, you are most welcome." Max grinned widely at Charlie, setting down her suitcase and pushing the eurobills into the backpocket of his jeans. "If you are ever in need of transporation, you call this number." He handed Charlie his business card.

"Thanks! We'll probably need it for the journey back."

I was still located at the bottom of the stairs, staring up at the chalet in all its winter wonderland-esque wonder. It felt as if my feet had been nailed to the ground. Like I couldn't move.

"Aggie!" Charlie beckoned, waving her hand. "Are you coming or what?"

Before I could reply, Charlie had already turned on her heel to knock on the door. I felt a rush of adrenaline spur into my limbs, forcing me up the stairs as I cowered in Charlie's shadow. It took a moment, but the door swung open soon enough to reveal ... Liam?

In the door opening stood a tall, broad shouldered ginger clad in a woollen jumper. Charlie's big brother. All grown up. He even had the stubble layered across his cheeks to boot.

"Charlie!" Liam exclaimed full of enthusiasm, ducking down to wrap his arms around his sister, picking her up and squeezing her tightly.

"Liam! Can't. Breathe." Charlie squeezed out jokingly, kicking her feet until he set her back down on the ground.

Then, Liam eyes fell upon me. Side-stepping past Charlie, he made a beeline towards me and grinned broadly. "Well, well. If it isn't our very own Agnes Battle."

I stared at him, awkwardly smiling. What was appropriate in this situation? We went way back, obviously, but we were never close. Not even then. Should I shake his hand? Avoid human contact and wave?

Liam didn't give me the time to make up my mind, trapping me in a bearhug. I laughed, squirming a little but finally wrapping my arms around him stiffly.

"Hey Liam," I croaked, "it's been a while, huh?"

"Bloody hell it has!" Liam nodded his head, eyes flitting around, as if he was trying to assess how much I had changed. "No more ponytail, huh?" He smirked, poking my side with the tip of his elbow playfully.

"Nope," My lips jammed together in a thin line to form a tight smile, "all gone."

Liam mirrored my smile and shot a glance over his shoulder. "Well, let me help you guys get your stuff inside. It's freezin' out here."

"Best big brother ever!" Charlie pumped both her fists up in the air. "Where are our rooms?"

Hoisting up both our suitcases at once, Liam trudged inside, his head nodding over towards the stairs. "Up the stairs. The last two rooms on your right are still vacant. You two birds can fight over who gets which one." Shooting a quick look over his shoulder, he sent me a wink.

Following behind Charlie and Liam, I ascended the staircase. The chalet had a very classic feel to it, but was spruced up with some strong, modern elements. Wooden floorboards, of which a few were selectively prone to making creaking noises, but also sleek furniture you would only find in designer interior stores. Not at IKEA.

"Here we are." Liam said, kicking open the first door and dropping both suitcases midway towards the room at the end of the hall. "So, where do I dump which suitcase?"

Charlie popped into the room while I remained behind, shooting a curious glance inside. Wandering over towards the room further down the hallway, the biggest difference between the room was the set of paintings decorating the walls. While the first room had a very Matisse-feel to it, the second were more or less comparable to some cheap Jackson Pollock knock-offs. Other than that, the only notable benefit of the first room was that it was closer towards the communal bathroom, but then again, it also was flanked by two bedrooms. What if Nick had claimed the other bedroom? God. That would be uncomfortable.

"Can I have this one?" I called from the Jackson Pollock room, wandering over towards the window sill, gazing out towards the dense forest in our backyard.

Charlie latched onto the doorframe, slanting her head to the side as she inspected my room. After a brief moment of silence, she shrugged her shoulders. "Sure. They're prety much the same anyway. Way to get me all hyped up for nothing, Liam." Charlie leaned back to shoot a glare down the hallway, where I presumed, Liam stood. I could hear him snickering from inside.

"So, Liam," I piped up, sauntering towards the doorframe, stopping next to Charlie, "where are Nick and eh - what's her name?" I timidly looked at Charlie.

"Jane," Liam answered, crossing his arms in front of his chest, "they went out to grab some dinner."

Dinner. Out. Right. Nick never took me out to dinner when we were together. Mostly because he was a penniless actor in drama school, waiting on tables which was just enough for him to pay the rent. Now that he was a big movie star, going out to dinner, he could afford. It made sense. And it shouldn't bother me.

"Which reminds me!" Liam held up a finger and then pointed it at me and Charlie, "you two must be starving."

"FAMISHED!" Charlie threw her hands up in the air dramatically, "I was thinking you were never going to ask."

Liam chuckled softly, rolling his eyes at his sister's theatrics. "I've got some take-out in the kitchen -" He stopped his sentence short at the sound of the front door opening and closing, a mixture of male and female laughter filling the hall downstairs.

"Ah, that must be Nick and Jane then. Perfect timing."

I felt my heart squeeze slightly.

Yeah.

Perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's the second chapter. Hope you guys like where this is going x