Boys of Summer

The Other Side

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
June 28th
8:15 AM
DANI'S POV

I sighed as I heard the alarm go off, aware of Harry's absence from the bed. I reached over, slapping at Harry's clock, blindly searching for the snooze button. But as soon as I found it, I knew it didn't matter. "No, you don't!"

I groaned when I felt myself lifted out of the bed, tensing naturally. "Put me down, Harry, you know I don't like it-" I moaned, clutching the comforter and cut off by Danny. "Nope, Harry's in the shower and I want someone to talk to, so WAKE UP!" Danny practically sung the words as he started to spin me around.

I opened my eyes, suddenly awake when I realized that not only did I not have control over what my body was doing, but that it wasn't Harry controlling it. Never mind that it's Danny who IS controlling it, and I know and trust Danny; all I realize is that it's not Harry. I felt myself slipping into the same state-of-mind I went into when Dougie 'kidnapped' me.

My first reaction was a shrill scream, "Oh my god. Oh my god! Danny! Danny, put me down! Put me DOWN!" Danny laughed, thinking I was joking. I started to slap Danny's chest, "No, Danny, stop! This isn't funny! PUT ME DOWN!" Memories came flooding back, causing my throat to constrict with fear, making it hard to breathe. Dad...

Harry emerged from his bathroom, a towel wrapped around his waist. I saw his eyes grow wide as he saw what was happening, "Danny, STOP!" Finally, Danny stopped, slowing to face Harry as he saw that I was close to tears and shuddering, my legs kicking up and down helplessly.

"What... what's wrong," Danny asked, looking at me with bewilderment. "Put her down, mate," Harry said slowly. Danny did, carefully lowering me to the ground; the moment my feet touched the ground, I ran forward, clutching to Harry for safety. I could feel Danny's hurt look bearing into my back, "What'd I do?"

"She doesn't do well with being picked up," Harry explained, wrapping his arms around me and stroking my hair soothingly, "It was a... bad experience with her father," Harry said, trying to talk around what actually happened. "Her dad's a prick," Danny said, sounding amazed. "Yeah," Harry said, still holding me, "He is."

"Dans, I'm sorry," Danny said, touching my shoulder and causing me to flinch. He pulled away, obviously unsure of how to comfort a girl he'd frightened by resurrecting a memory of abuse long buried. All of my friends knew better than to pick me up. I feel really bad about it, especially since it seems like other girls always have so much fun when their friends carry them around and throw them like bean bags; I just can't control my body when I get like this.

"Just go watch TV, Danny, she'll be fine, she just needs a minute," Harry said, motioning with his head for Harry to leave. "Okay," Danny said, obviously uncertain. Quickly, he wrapped his arms around my waist, "I'm really sorry, Dani." I tried not to pull away from the hug, my arms straining with the effort.

"Are you going to be okay," Harry asked as soon as Danny left the room. Forcing my legs to stop shaking, I nodded. "Do you not want to go to the show, today? You can stay home if you want, I'd understand." I shook my head, taking a deep breath, "I wanna see celebrity you." Harry sighed as he tightened his grip around my waist, "I could kill your father."

I nodded, quite aware of this information; my father was one of the few things Harry couldn't protect me from, partly because I wouldn't let him kill my father and partly because Harry was in London while my father is in NYC. And the fact that Harry couldn't protect me from something both pissed him off and made him overzealous about protecting me from everything he could. I didn't mind, though; the knowledge that Harry would protect me from anything within his power comforts me.

Slowly, I pulled away from Harry, pulling the comforter tighter around my shoulders. Harry held me at arm's length, bending at his knees so he could see my face through my messy bangs, "You good?" I nodded, trying to smile to prove how good I was.

Harry half-smiled, patting one of my shoulders and straightening, "You should start getting ready, then. We're leaving at 9:30, so you'll want to be out for breakfast so you can eat at 9:00." I nodded, glancing at the clock to realize I only had a half hour to get ready. Good thing I showered last night.

Harry smiled one last time before he went to his closet to pick out his outfit for the interview. I grabbed something to wear from my suitcase and walked into the bathroom so I could change and wash my face.

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
June 28th
9:15 AM
DANI'S POV

"I'm not late," I declared as I slid into the kitchen, my hair an obvious mess under the fedora I was wearing. I pulled on my other sock as I hopped the few steps to the pantry, searching for where the boys kept the cereal. I heard Tom and Dougie laughing at the spectacle that was me, both of them sitting at the table.

I glanced at them as I put my other foot on the ground, reaching into the pantry and pulling out some cereal. I don't care what kind it was, I have no time to be picky. "Where's Harry," I asked, hoping to appeal to my cousin's sympathy to stall leaving. "Living room," Tom answered, smirking at me.

"Thanks," I said, ignoring the smirk and hurrying into the living room, still clutching the cereal box, "Harry!" My cousin looked up at me in surprise, pausing the movie he had been watching, 'Yes?" "How long will it take to get to the studio?" Harry shrugged, "Fifteen, twenty minutes at most." "What time do you have to be there?" "Ten o'clock." "So," I said, smiling and trying to be charming, "What would you say to leaving at, say, quarter of?" "No."

The front door slammed as Danny walked in smiling, carrying the paper in one hand and placing the other around my waist. He pulled me closer and gave me a kiss on the top of the head, "Sorry again about this morning, love. You feeling any better?" I would if you didn't bring it up. "I would if my cousin wasn't a time Nazi."

I shot Harry a look before hurrying back down the hall, throwing the box of cereal onto the counter through the open space in the wall. Harry yelled at me as I grabbed his doorframe, using it to swing myself into his room, "Not my fault you fell back asleep after you got dressed!" "Dozed, I DOZED," I yelled back as I entered his bathroom, grabbing my toothbrush. "Besides, I'm still jetlagged!" "Yeah, yeah..."

TV Studio, London, UK
June 28th
9:56 AM
DANI'S POV

"I can't believe we actually got here on time," Dougie muttered as we pulled up to the studio, "I really thought we were going to be late." "Not on my watch," Tom said, unbuckling his seat belt. "It would've been easier if SOMEONE didn't take forever to put on makeup," Harry said, poking me in the stomach.

I squealed as I slid out of the back of the car behind Dougie, "I said to give me extra time. I didn't even have breakfast." "Good, you're fat," Harry said absentmindedly as he looked around the parking lot. I slapped him in the chest, and he looked at me with a fake expression of hurt, "Ow." "You called me fat, that was justified," I said, turning and looking at the other boys.

"Children, can we get going," Dougie said, motioning towards the door. Harry slapped him upside the head as he walked by, "Who are you calling children?" I rolled my eyes as I hung behind the rest of the boys, taking in the sight. A studio. A TV studio. This is more surreal than when Josie freaked out because Harry's my cousin.

"Come on, then," Danny said, holding the stage door open, "I can only be polite for fifteen minutes a day." I smiled as I slipped through the door, "What do you guys do before you end up taping the show?"

"Make-up, rehearse, chill in the dressing room," Danny said, leading me through the backstage with a light hand on my waist. "It's usually pretty fun. They've always got a lot of Red Bull," Danny continued thoughtfully. My face screwed up, and Danny took notice, "You don't like Red Bull?" I shook my head, "I think it tastes like piss."

"Oh, that," Danny said, taking me towards the audience seating, "You get over that pretty quickly." The host of the TV show sat at his desk, smiling at the boys when they walked in. Danny put me in a front row seat, "You just wait here, rehearsal takes no time." "Danny, what're you doing, then," the TV show host called.

"Just settling down our guest," Danny explained. "Guest? Why the hell isn't he up here?" "She, why isn't she up here," Danny corrected as he finally made his way up to the host. "Oh, you're hiding her, then?" Danny, and the rest of the boys, laughed. "Right."

"Come on, then, who is she, bring her up, you all know how this show works anyway, nothing's changed." "Dans," Harry said, motioning me to come up. Blushing, I stood, hurrying up to the stage and taking refuge under Harry's arm. "Oh, she's that kind of guest," the host said, smirking.

"No, Paul, this is Dans, my cousin," Harry introduced. "Nice to meet you," I greeted as I shook the host's hand. "Nice to meet you," the host replied, smiling. He sat back down behind his desk, "Where are you from?" "New York," I said proudly. "Oh, a yank," the host said, smirking in a kind way. "That's what I said," Dougie cried, but Tom hit him on the back of the head before he could say anything else.

"Well, what're you doing in London, then?" "Just visiting," I said, "I missed my cousin." "Aw," the host said, smiling as Harry and I half-hugged. "Well, I dare say you will want to get going to make-up," the host said, "Dans, you can stay in their dressing room during the taping, I'll have a monitor moved in there so you can watch."

"Thanks, mate," the boys said, each shaking the host's hand and walking off. I stayed securely under Harry's arm as he led me off the side of the stage, towards a bustling room that I assume is for make-up.

Harry smiled at me as he sat in one of the chairs, letting a woman start to attack his face with foundation. I laughed as I noticed his masked disgust. I can almost guarantee this is the part he hates the most about his job. The woman clicked her tongue at him, "You need to stop picking your spots."

I hid my laugh behind my hand, though Tom laughed openly to our left. "Harry," I said, trying so hard not to laugh too much at him, because he really doesn't like putting on make-up, "I think I'm just gonna go to your dressing room," I said. "It's just a few doors down," Danny offered, his head perched in an unnatural position as his make-up artist powdered his neck.

I raised my hand in both thanks and farewell and walked down to the hall, looking for a door marked 'McFly.' After finding it, I settled down, glad to have a moment of peace in what was already a hectic day. I was lying on the couch when someone walked in, "Oh, sorry-"

"No, it's cool," I said, opening my eyes and expecting it to be one of the McFly boys. But I was interested to see that it was not Dougie, Danny, Tom, OR Harry. The boy who'd walked in had on a headset and a bowl of chips in his hands. "Sorry," he repeated, "Just needed to drop off the crisps for the boys."

"It's fine," I said, feeling bad that the boy seemed so intimidated. He was tall, taller than any of the McFly boys, and had short, bleached blonde hair that reminded me of Tom's, except Tom's is longer and usually hidden under his hat. Tall boy gave me a half smile as he set the bowl of chips down on the table in front of me, "So, what, you're waiting for your boyfriend to get out of make-up?"

"Psh," I said, "I wouldn't date one of those boys if they begged." Okay, not true; they're all kind of cute, and Danny is very sweet. But since when does this guy need to know that? "I'm Harry's cousin," I explained. "Oh," the boy said, smiling a little more naturally, "Well, if you need anything, give me a call."

"I'm sorry," I said as the boy started to walk out, "I didn't catch your name." "Wally, my name's Wally." His face paled as he heard what he said, "But please don't call me that. My friends call me Crick."

TV Studio, London, UK
June 28th
10:32 AM
HARRY'S POV

I smiled as I walked down the hall, my face feeling awkward with so much make-up on it. I wondered if the fact that I was smiling made the make-up crack, or if the make-up would bend. I would hope the make-up would bend, since I usually smile during interviews at one point or another and I'd hate to think that every time I smile a giant crack has showed up on my face.

My brow furrowed as I heard laughter coming from our dressing room, and I wondered if that would make the make-up crack as well. But as I opened the door, the fact that there might be a crack of make-up on my forehead didn't seem as important; what the hell is this git doing alone in a dressing room with my cousin?

The boy stood quickly when he saw the four of us walk in, and in turn the boys and I stopped in our tracks at the sight of the intruder. The smile quickly fell from Dani's face as she stood, "Uh, Crick, this is my cousin, Harry, and his band. You know McFly?" "Uh, yeah," the boy said, leaning forward to shake my hand.

Defiantly, I crossed my arms. The boy's smile faltered, and I let an awkward silence settle before I spoke, "So, Crick?" The boy nodded. "That's a weird name," Danny said, half sneering. I'm surprised, actually; I didn't know he could be protective.

"Nickname," the boy said, half-smiling as he scratched his head, "Because I play Cricket all the time." "Really," I said, remembering my own glorious cricket days, "You any good?" "I'd like to think so," Crick said, still smiling awkwardly.

I nodded as Tom finally spoke, "Well, we need to get ready, and I'd think that you need to start getting ready for the show as well." "Uh, yeah," Crick said, "I'll talk to you later, Dani." And with that he walked out, eyes placed firmly on the ground as he scooted between Dougie and Tom.

"Bye," Dani called weakly, sighing as he left, "Well, thank you for that, Harry." "What," I asked, trying to be innocent. "I meet one decent guy who I don't have to lie with for the next week and a half and you give him the stink eye. Real classy."

"I don't like him, bad vibes," I defended. I moved forward, sitting next to her on the couch. "You'd get bad vibes from fish if they swam too close," she replied sarcastically. "Some fish are very vicious," I said, my jaw set.

TV Studio, London, UK
June 28th
10:55 AM
DANI'S POV

I sighed as I waved the boys out, Tom trying to be encouraging, "Don't worry, Dans, the monitor should be here soon." "Yeah," I said, wondering if I could just stand in the back of the studio and watch. I really don't want to just sit here and look at a blank wall.

The boys had five minutes before they had to start, so they were going to the entrance to 'psych up.' The way the said 'psych up' scared me a little, though, so I decided to hang back and wait for the TV.

As soon as the foolish sounds of the boys faded from the hallway, the door was pushed open by a TV on a cart, which was followed by Crick. "Hey," I said, happy to be seeing the boy again. I was afraid Harry had scared him away forever.

"Hey," Crick said, smiling as he set up the TV in the corner, "Look, I don't have a lot of time, but I wanted to invite you to this party me and my friends are having." "Party," I asked, intrigued. Party in London? Oh yeah.

"Yeah, it's in about two weeks; early invite, I know, but-" "Two weeks," I asked, my heart sinking a little. "A little less than that, but yeah, about. Why?" I sighed, "What's the date?" "The tenth. It's my friend's birthday," Crick said. "You can't come?"

"I'm going back to the States on the tenth," I said, my spirits dampened. "Well, then," Crick said, closing the door after a quick look around the hallway, "We'll trade numbers, and if your plans change and you can come, you can give me a call, alright?" "Yeah, sure." "Great."

I had just finished programming Crick's number into my phone when the TV came on, showing four different views of the stage. "Oh, I'm late, I gotta go," Crick said, shutting his phone, "You give me a call, okay?" "Will do," I said, slipping my phone back into my purse.

I smirked as I watched McFly walk onto the stage, greeting the host like they hadn't seen him all day. I made a new friend. I love making new friends, even if I can't go party with them.

"Well, first thing's first, big news here, Dougie," the host said, turning to the youngest member of the group. "You have been spotted with a girl at the airport, sneaking around." Dougie laughed as the host went on, "Do we have that picture? Show that picture." I smirked as the picture of Dougie and I flashed on the screen quickly.

"Now, young sir, what is that?" "That," Dougie said, trying not to laugh, "Is Harry's cousin." "And your new girl," the host insisted, smiling. Dougie laughed again, glancing nervously around, "No, no; there were a bunch of fans at the airport when we went to pick her up, and Harry didn't want her to know the mob was for him."

"Right," the host said, rolling his eyes. I knew that he believed Dougie, simply because I thought the host was decent, but the audience laughed at the host and at Dougie anyway. Dumb people.
♠ ♠ ♠
No songs for this one again, but comments are always appreciated. :-)