Boys of Summer

One of those Moments

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
July 4th
11:09 AM
DANI'S POV

I sighed as I sat on the couch, waving the boys out of the apartment, smiling lazily at them. Three more interviews, one performance (which rocked!) and two days in the studio and I'm thoroughly ready for a break from both the boys AND the traveling. It was supposed to be another studio day, today, so it seemed like a nice day to skip, since I never do anything while they're recording.

They're still working on that song, and still no one likes the way it's turning out. Dougie and Tom spend a lot of their nights on it, and Danny has started to help them. That leaves Harry and I alone a lot of the time, which usually means we get into trouble. We've taken to just planning pranks to play on Danny. It's dangerous to let ourselves leave the apartment.

Speaking of Harry and Danny and I, everything is still completely and totally good. Harry has gotten used to the fact that both Danny and I are slight insomniacs, and that neither of us likes to be alone while trying to calm down. He got a little angry when he walked out once and saw that I had fallen asleep on Danny's lap and that Danny didn't seem to think it wise to carry me into bed. But that was smoothed over pretty quickly when I reminded Harry that I ALWAYS sleep in people's laps, just like I always pet people when they use my lap for a pillow.

As for the relationship between me and Dougie, it's pretty vitriolic. I've tried not to beat him up and all, so that he might start to like me a little, but he invariably says something stupid and I can't help smacking him. Tom and I are pretty cool, though. If Danny is asleep, Tom is always up working on songs and he lets me come down and play his guitar. I'm actually pretty excited cause I helped him write one line of a song. Yay for me!

Anyway, the boys are planning on going to a party tonight, which is the other reason I'm staying home today. I don't feel like doing laundry and most of my clothing, including everything appropriate for a party, is dirty. So I decided to go on a bit of a shopping trip, which I'm pretty amped about. I may hang out with guys, but I'll always love shoes.

The only problem is I'm kind of out of money, so I had to beg Harry. Danny offered to give me some, but Tom pointed out that last time Danny gave a girl money, he expected sex in return. I know it was meant to be a joke, and I laughed, but I decided against taking Danny's money.

So, the only way Harry would give me money is if I agreed to pick up the apartment since people would probably be coming over for an after-party. I thought this was reasonable, especially since the guys used to have someone who cleans for them and aren't used to having to clean the apartment themselves, but I still hate cleaning.

As soon as the door closed, it was like a race had begun. I was running around the apartment, picking up things and putting them away like the house was on fucking fire. I slid into Danny's room which, for an extra ten dollars, I had agreed to clean.

Yeah, ten dollars. I feel so cheap.

I grimaced as I started to sort through the clothing on Danny's floor, looking around desperately for somewhere to put it all. It does not smell very good in here. I opened the closet, sighing in relief at the sight on a laundry hamper. I threw the clothing in there.

Next was the desk, which was scattered with shit. I started to put it all away, only pausing when I saw my name scribbled on a piece of paper. I know, I shouldn't be looking, but haven't you ever noticed someone writing a note, but didn't care until you see them scribble your name, and all of the sudden you just don't give a crap about what is in the note as long as you can read it?

This is one of those moments.

My brow furrowed as I saw that my name had been written along the margins of Danny's notebook of lyrics, on more pages than just this one. I read the lyrics over quickly, my forehead creasing with dismay and worry. I thought nothing was going to come of me and Danny.

I bit my lip as I put the notebook aside, sitting in Danny's desk chair. What am I supposed to do now? I mean, I guess I like Danny, he's definitely the one I'd date from the lot of them, but I promised Harry I wouldn't. And anyway, there's only a week left. Would there even be any point to me talking about it? After a week, I'll leave and he can get over it. And besides, just because he's scribbling my name next to love songs doesn't mean he likes me, he's just thinking about me, that's all.

I nodded to myself as I started cleaning the room again, throwing things into random places so that it all might look organized. And when I was done, I left the room quickly. It felt forbidden now, for some reason. Like I shouldn't be there, or Danny would get mad. That's ridiculous! He's paying me to be in there! None the less, I didn't want to stay in there any longer than I had to.

I squeaked as I ran into Harry's room, grabbing my purse and taking the money I'd gotten in advance out of my pocket and putting into my wallet. Then, after changing out of my sweats and into my last pair of jeans, I put on some deodorant, ran a brush through my hair, and walked out of the apartment, flip-flops slapping against the ground obscenely loudly.

Starbucks, London, UK
July 4th
12:32 AM
DANI'S POV

I sighed as I sat at the counter of the cafe, sipping my hot chocolate contently as two bags sat at my feet. I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far, considering I got into the cab and said, "Take me to a store." Yeah, the beginning was rough. I do not know shopping in London like I do in NYC or Philly.

I continued to sip the hot beverage, savoring the taste in my mouth before letting it scald my throat on the way down. I watched the people passing by with semi-interest. They all seemed so busy; not quite as busy as in New York, but still busy. I'm getting spoiled, always being with the McFly boys. They're all really laid back and chilled out.

My eyes widened as I saw a familiar red head bobbing through the crowd, smiling as she walked into the café. I wondered if she remembered me, but I'll take the chance, "Jess?" Jess turned to me, her smile growing, "Hey, Dani?" "Yeah," I said, amazed, "What're you up to?"

"I actually just got off of work. You?" "Day off from the boys," I said, smirking as Jess nodded in sympathy, "I remember those. Those were some of the best days of my life." "Yeah, I'm actually trying to get some shopping done." "Oh yeah? How's that going?"

"Decent," I said honestly, "Considering I don't know where anything is." "Oh, that's gotta suck. You shopping for anything specific," Jess asked, leaning against the bar-counter and making herself comfortable. "Yeah, there's supposed to be this party tonight." "Dressy?" "Not to my knowledge."

Jess nodded, "Well, if you wait for a minute, I can get my coffee and take you to a shop I know about." "That'd be great," I said, watching as she sauntered up to the cashier, ordering her coffee and, once she procured it, returning to my side, "Okay, let's go."

"Thanks so much for this," I said as Jess led me out into the crowd, turning down the block. "Not a problem; I know how hard it is to find a good shop in a city you don't know." I nodded. "So, you're Harry's cousin?" I nodded. "That must've been a fun family reunion."

I smiled, "Yeah, there never was a dull moment. How do you know the guys?" I already knew the answer, but I still thought I should hear it from her. She took a deep, careful breath, "I used to date Tom." I nodded, my eyes wondering the streets.

"Here it is," Jess said, motioning to the shop in front of her. I smiled at the quaintness of it, sure that I'd find a nice shirt here. "Thanks so much," I said again, feeling awkward. "Hey," I called as Jess started to walk away, "Why don't you come to the party tonight?"

"Oh, no, I couldn't," Jess said, looking away and shaking her head. "Come on," I begged, suddenly in love with the idea of spending the night with Jess, "It'll be fun. I don't want the only people I know there to be the McFly boys. Come feel stupid and alone with me." I pouted, and Jess laughed, "Fine."

"Great," I said, taking out a piece of paper and scribbling Harry's address on it, "Come here at, like, seven and we'll go together." "Okay," Jess said. "But I've got to go now; I'm supposed to meet a friend for lunch." "I'll see you tonight," I said, walking into the store as Jess hurried down the street.

I smiled as I observed the store, proud as I had been when I'd gotten Crick's number. I'm unreasonably proud of every little thing I do. But this is cool; I get the strange feeling Tom wants to see her again, anyway.

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
July 4th
5:58 PM
HARRY'S POV

"What did you do," I asked, my eyebrows furrowing in a shocked amazement at my cousin. "And why?" "I invited Jess to the party with us," she said innocently. I peaked out from behind the shower curtain, repeating myself in a slightly strained voice, "Why?"

"Because I didn't want to be the only girl at this party," she responded, smacking her lips together and observing them in the mirror. She put her tube of lip gloss down and grabbed her straightener as I replied, "You know you wouldn't have been the only girl at the party." "Yeah, but I wouldn't have known those girls." "So? You make friends so easily, obviously-"

"Harry," she cut me off, looking at me with a slight disgust. I pulled my head back into the shower, "I'm not saying that it was a terrible thing to do, I'm just saying Tom is not going to like you." "Tom will like me just fine," Dani spat back, setting her straightener down loudly.

"Yeah, well, Miss Congeniality, I'd clear out, cause I need to get out and I swear I'll shake water all over you if you're still out there," I dared. Dani squealed playfully as she scampered out of the bathroom as I shook my head, her straightener clutched in her hands.

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
July 4th
6:01 PM
DANI'S POV

I sighed and shook my hair out as I crossed the hallway to Danny's room, hoping that he would still be in the shower so I could use HIS mirror to finish my hair. I walked into his room, hurrying by the desk and eyeing it warily, waiting for the notebook to jump out and eat me.

Cautiously, I rapped once on the door. I awaited Danny's reply, but I heard none, nor did I hear the shower running. I shrugged, figuring that Danny was in the kitchen, snacking while he waited for Harry and I to finish getting ready.

I opened the door, screaming at the sight. I slammed the door shut, blushing as what I had just seen fully hit me. I tried not to laugh at the slight irony and suckiness of it all as I heard Danny's voice, confused and apprehensive through the door, "Dans?" "I am so sorry."

"Not a problem," Danny said, almost squeaking as he realized what I'd just seen. "I knocked," I said feebly, looking around Danny's room for a distraction. "I didn't hear, I was thinking," Danny replied. "It's okay, you can open the door now."

I opened the door, only an inch or so at first, my face drawn together as I peaked around. Danny laughed at my nervousness as I saw him, a yellow towel wrapped around his lower half. I sighed in relief, "I am so sorry."

"It's alright, what do you need?" Desperate to make up, I walked forward, hugging him. "You're not in trouble, Dans, but you will be if this towel falls," Danny laughed, clutching his towel with one hand and wrapping the other around my waist. He arched it up, patting my back, "Now what did you need?"

I held up the flat-iron as I pulled away, "I needed to finish my hair." Danny smiled, patting me on the back as he walked out, "Just don't come out. I'll come get you when I'm dressed." I nodded, looking specifically ahead as I plugged in the straightener.

Danny closed the door behind him as he walked into his room to get dressed. I heard Harry knock on the bedroom door and ask what had gone on, and Danny explained it all very hurriedly and I could tell he was a little embarrassed.

But Harry, luckily, just laughed at our 'dumb luck' and returned to his own miniscule party preparations. I started to straighten the last few bits of my hair as the flat-iron heated up, hurting my hands a little. Danny knocked on the door, "You aren't naked now, are you?"

I laughed as I finally finished my hair; I don't see why Harry was so impatient about me leaving, I only had a few more pieces, "No." "Oh," Danny said, opening the door to reveal his attire: a vintage-like T-Shirt and jeans. "Bugger."

I laughed as I slapped him softly on the chest. "Ow," he said, pouting. "Sorry, love," I said. "Love? You British now?" "I've always said 'love,'" I defended, glancing sideways at him as I tried different ways to put my hair up for the night.

A few moments later, as Danny was running his hands through his hair and putting some product in it, he muttered something, "Looks fine down." "What," I asked, wanting to make sure I was hearing correctly. My friends always said my hair looked like a dying dog when I left it down. I don't know how hair can look like a dying dog, but my hair apparently manages it. "Your hair looks nice the way it is," Danny said.

"You think?" "Yeah," Danny confirmed. I smiled as I shook my hair out, making sure it was straight. I nodded, "Thanks." Not thinking, because I'm not used to having to think around guys, I stood on tip-toes, giving Danny a quick kiss on the cheek, "I gotta go, then."

I only paused when Danny did, both of us looking at each other with wide-eyes. Gulping, I tried to explain myself, remembering the notebook with horribly acute detail. "That is a horrible habit you gave me." Danny smiled, almost nervous under his normally calm demeanor, "Sorry about that."

My face fell as I saw Danny glance at my lips, and I started talking before he could do anything, "Danny, are we going to have to talk?" He looked up at me, almost surprised that I seemed to magically know. "How'd-" "You left your lyrics notebook out this morning; I found it when I was cleaning up."

Danny nodded, looking away, "It's alright. Always knew nothing would come of it; Harry wouldn't let it happen." I smiled as Danny looked back at me, "Yeah, he's not letting anything happen in London." Danny nodded, looking at me with what almost could've been, in some alternate dimension, longing.

Slowly, Danny leaned forward, lightly brushing his lips against mine. I took a deep breath, pulling away before it could become anything that actually qualifies as a kiss. "I've got to go finish getting ready," I stuttered, sliding passed Danny to get to the door, "Don't want to keep Jess waiting when she comes."

And with that, I ran out of Danny's room, feeling like the biggest coward and hugest bitch in the world. Dougie would love to see me right now, he wouldn't even have to try to come up with an insult.
♠ ♠ ♠
NOT MARY-SUE!