Status: Waiting on Love

Kings of Krypton

Prologue

Paxton Matthews didn’t tell me he was leaving, but he did leave a note. In fact, I read it about five minutes ago.

Five minutes ago I walked out of the shower and found a steaming pile of waffles and a note. I picked up the waffle like I did every morning before I picked up the note. Then, I spat out the waffle, and my eyes glazed over out of shock. My heart sunk instantaneously, and my mind was stuck on a collage of him.

I was sitting there. Staring at the note. It didn’t say much really, just things he’d already said. Things I’d never believed. In fact, it pretty much just said one thing, but I sat there like an idiot in the solid oak chair reading. I read it over and over; just that one sentence he’d bothered leaving me with.

The note was emotionless, nothing about the time we’d spent together. It was the same warning he told me time and time again. The same warning I’d always treated as a joke.

“Sincerely.” I spluttered, balling up the napkin he’d scribbled his message on. He signed it sincerely. Only Paxton could do that.

In that moment I felt embarrassed to have loved Paxton Matthews. I started laughing, really laughing, for a minute, before I was on my feet, wrapped up in a fluffy white towel, running through the tiny apartment to find him.

“It’s not funny, Pax.” I grinned, tripping slightly as I walked into an empty bedroom with an empty bed. Sliding open the closet I saw that his things were gone, except for one t-shirt that laid on the floor from last night and his pillow.

My body felt cold as reality settled into my bones. It took Paxton the fifteen minutes I was in the shower to walk out of my life.

The door rang and I pulled the leftover shirt over my head, dragged myself over the linoleum floor to answer it. My heart was in my stomach as I opened the door, I didn’t even bother to check the spyglass, but really, I should of.

When I opened the door there were several men dressed in black. With one whack on the head that’s was all that I saw. Everything was black and that was the end.

Dear Olive,

I am that hero, but I can’t save you or even myself.

Sincerely,

Pax.