Like a Damaged Nerve

Working Hands

I was lightly shaken awake by Alex, telling me that we had to get up. I mumbled a little and opened my eyes, rubbing them against the bright sun coming in the small plane window. I peeked out and my eyes widened at the sight of the skyline across the tarmac. It looked so close but it was so far….but so much closer than an entire ocean. I carefully stood up and Alex waited patiently as I shuffled out into the aisle and we headed into the terminal. I adjusted my backpack a little bit and I was about to say something to Alex when people start clapping and cheering. I sent him a confused look and he just grinned, patting me on the back.

“The news was all over you when they found out the last of our group were returning to the US.” Alex said, smiling at me as we made our way through the crowds of people and down to baggage.

“Damn…was kind of hoping for a quiet return.” I joked a little bit, my fingers playing with the bracelet on my wrist.

“You can have that when you get back home.” He said, walking side by side with me. We entered baggage and waited for my luggage to arrive. I only had my sea bag to grab and it wasn’t going to be hard to spot either. I felt anxious, waiting to see my family again. Alex put his hand on my arm, making me jump a little bit.

“What?” I asked, noticing he was looking towards the sliding doors. I was watching for my luggage, not bothering to look where he was.

“I think someone’s looking for you…” He said with a big grin, turning me towards the door. My heart stopped for a moment and my vision began to blur with tears. My beautiful and handsome Patrick, a Blackhawks hat covering his blond curls and his head down, was looking at his phone.
I dropped my backpack at Alex’s feet and took off running, nearly pushing people out of my way. I came to a halt still a good bit away from him. I was scared suddenly, my whole body tensed and shaking. I swallowed hard and took a shaky breath, opening my mouth to try and speak.

“Patrick?” I said, hoping I was loud enough. Several people turned when they heard me say that and the most important one looked right up at me. I couldn’t help but smile and he did the same, sliding his phone into his pocket and moving so fast I almost didn’t noticed him moving. He grabbed me and pulled me into his arms, squeezing so tight, like I was disappear into thin air. I wrapped my arms around him just as tight, burying my head into his chest. I couldn’t stop shaking and I was so glad I had no makeup or the mascara would have been running down my face. I felt one hand on my neck and he moved back just enough to look at me.

“Please don’t leave me again.” He said, resting his forehead against mine and kissing me. I pulled him closer, wrapping my arms around his neck. I hadn’t kissed or held my fiancée in almost a year, you can’t blame a girl!

“I love you, Patrick.” I said, holding his face in my hands and looking into his eyes. He smiled a little, his eye full of tears and kissed me again.

“I love you too, baby.” He said, sighing happily and wrapping me up into his arms again. We stayed like that for a while before Alex came over, shaking Patrick’s hand and helping us get my bags to Pat’s truck. I hugged Alex goodbye and exchanged some ‘thank you’s to him before we got in the car and were heading back towards the city.

Pat reached over and took my hand in his, lacing our fingers together. I smiled over at him and squeezed his hand. I was so happy and relieved to be home and I couldn’t wait to see everyone. I looked out the window for a moment, enjoying the scenery when Pat told me to look in the glove box. I did so and found a small Tiffany blue box. I smiled over at him and opened it, seeing my engagement ring perfectly nestled inside. I didn’t hesitate in sliding it back on and admiring how it looked so right.

“I missed you….” I said, smiling at him and leaning over, going to kiss his cheek. He grinned and turned his head quickly, kissing me. I’m sure he meant to be quick but when we heard horns honking, he pulled away laughing. “Hey! I just got home! I wanna live!” I teased him.

“Sorry baby, I just missed you too…” He said with that cheeky grin and gleam in his eyes that I love so much. “Do you wanna go straight home? Or would you rather go see your sister and your niece?” He glanced over at him, an eyebrow raised in question. I smiled at him and bounced a little bit in my seat, squeezing his hand.

“I wanna see them, if that’s okay.” I asked, making him laugh loudly as we got into the city, turning down a side street.

“Whatever makes you happy, babe. I get you all to myself tonight and that’s what matters.” He said as we started to pull up to their apartment. I stopped him as he parked and I went to my backpack, grabbing some hand lotion.

“They’re rough…I don’t wanna her feeling them.” I said… such a dumb thing to obsess over but they were torn up.

“They’re working hands…they’ve seen war, they’re allowed to be rough. She won’t care.” He said, getting out of the car and coming over to my hand, taking my hand and helping me out. “Come on; let’s go see our big, stupid family.” I laughed and leaned against him as we headed inside and to the elevators. I couldn’t wait to see them again.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)