Like a Damaged Nerve

About Time

“Fucking Kaner,” Jonny muttered once we got Aubrey off to bed… and he finally said something to me. If he has a bad game, he’ll only talk nicely to her, which is fine. Great. But I wasn’t the one on the ice! Don’t be pissed at me!

“It’s just one game,” I spoke… against my better judgment.

“A game we should have won!” he snapped.

“But you didn’t, so get over it! There’s still plenty more,” I shot back.

He stared back at me with a wide, yet blank, expression. I usually… just let him rant on through most of the night. I know he’s as competitive as they come and he gets frustrated sometimes when things don’t go the team’s way, but I don’t need that abuse!

“I-I’m sorry,” he blinked and rubbed his hands over his face a few times.

“I know you get angry…” I started, but he lowered his hands and cut me off.

“And I shouldn’t take it out on you. I’m sorry,” he cut me off and lowered his hands to his sides. After a few moments, he let out a heavy sigh… and then I felt bad! Damn it, Jonathan! Letting out my own sigh, I walked over to him and put my arms around his middle.

“Don’t act like you got caught up in a tussle you shouldn’t have been in before…” I taunted to lighten the mood. Battling through a giggle, I glanced up to see him trying to fight off his own smile.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” his smile fought its way through now.

“Mhm,” I hummed through some laughter.

To shut me up, he pressed his lips against mine gently. I smiled into our kiss and gave his middle a snug squeeze.

“Don’t be so rough on Patrick at practice tomorrow. I know he probably already feels shitty,” I added once we parted.

“I wasn’t going to say anything,” he quickly muttered.

“Ok,” Jonny,” I couldn’t fight off my smile of disbelief.

He glared at me for a few moments before I reached up on my tiptoes to press a kiss to his cheek. Leaving him in the kitchen where we had been standing, I went into our room to get ready for bed. Before I could make it into the bathroom though, my phone buzzed against my leg in the pocket of my jeans. Pulling it out, I saw that Katie had sent me a text. All it said was ‘gotta plan a wedding’.

Reading over the short message… made me so excited! I’ve been waiting so long to hear those words… even if it was in a text form. Katie helped me so much with Jonathan and I’s wedding and I could not wait to return the favor.

“Jonny!” I called out to my hubby as I typed out an excited ‘YAY’ in reply.

“What?” he questioned as he walked into the room; his forehead wrinkled with a slight confusion.

“I think Katie and Patrick are going to start planning their wedding…” I tried to contain my smile… but I couldn’t!

“About time,” was his surprising reaction.

“And then Aubrey could have a little friend soon!” I kept going. Everyone knows that after weddings come babies!

I only got a laugh out of Jonny this time. Ok, I get it. He’s a guy, so he’s probably not super excited about everything that planning a wedding entails… it took him long enough to get even remotely interested in our own. I just couldn’t be happier for my sister. She has a good thing going with Patrick and I know they’re going to make each other so happy for a long time… even if I’ll have to tell people my brother-in-law is Patrick Kane…