Every Day Feels Like a War

Screaming On The Inside

Andy hadn't talked to the band since then. It seemed that, even though he was the one who kept the world from destroying itself, everyone was against him. He looked at himself in the mirror, sitting cross-legged on the middle of his unmade bed in red sweat pants and a black teeshirt. He looked so dead... This ongoing battle was draining the life out of him. He wasn't sure if the battle was between him and Kat... or if it was with himself... Living as a mortal had made him soft; it made his skills dull and his senses weak. Kat was going to win, like always, and Andy was going to lose. He looked to his hands and twirled a small dagger with a jagged blade. His first weapon... Andy smiled faintly and twirled it in his fingers, watching the carved design blur as it spun faster. Once it gained a good amount of speed, Andy threw it like a dart at his wall. It landed in the wall next to his calendar cleanly, lodged in the wall. He sighed and stood, pulling it out with ease and looking to the calendar with a frown.
It was December already... December 20th. His birthday was in six days and, with no doubt, Ashley would forget... Maybe they'd all forget... Andy sat down again, suddenly hearing a car pull into his driveway.
"Who the hell could that be?" He muttered as he got up and went to the door. It wasn't a car he recognized. He answered the door after the third knock and frowned instantly. "You."
"Mhm. It's me, baby brother. Good to know your eyesight still works." Kat winked. "C'mon, lets go." She grabbed his arm, Andy immediately yanking it back.
"What makes you think I'd go anywhere with you?" He glared. "For all I know, you could be-"
"Psychiatrist appointment, dumbass." She raised an eyebrow and sashayed back to her car. Andy warily followed, sitting in the passenger seat.
"So where are you really taking me?" He asked, rolling his tongue against the inside of his cheek. Kat grinned ear to ear, sliding some sunglasses on over her emerald green eyes.
"You'll see."
She revved the engine and began to drive, pulling up about ten minutes later to an old, abandoned looking warehouse. "C'mon." She got out and went inside, opening the gate. Andy raised an eyebrow at the broken lock hanging from a chain and followed. He continued following through the empty building, eventually ending up in a small room with a chair in the middle.
"What is-"
"Sit." Kat hissed and pushed him into the chair. Andy stared at her, confused more than anything. Kat moved to the corner of the room, leaning against the wall. "See anything you recognize?"
Andy looked around the bare room and shook his head. "Nothing."
Kat smirked wickedly and shook her head. "Look at me, Andrew." Andy didn't know why, but he obeyed and met her gaze. She began to mutter something as his eyes drooped shut, everything around him fading away.
"Andy! Andy, wake up!" He groaned, sitting up and rubbing his head. His eyes opened, meeting the eyes of a small girl with short brown hair and warm eyes, warm smile... She wore a leather jacket over a white tee shirt, skinnies and red cowboy boots. No way...
"Scout...?" He whispered. "Oh my god, Scout." Andy lunged forward, enveloping her in a hug. Scout laughed awkwardly and patted his back.
"What's with you, you weirdo? You just fell and passed out, and now you're acting like I was dead or something." She snickered, ruffling his hair. Andy smiled fondly at her.
"I.. Weird dream. Now- If you don't mind me asking... where are we?" He looked around the scene, entirely confused. A minute ago he was with Kat... Now he was with Scout? Why would she take him back?
"We're on our way to the movies..." Scout helped him up, eyebrow raised delicatly. "Don't tell me you have a concussion... How many fingers am I holding up!" She held up three fingers, observing him with narrowed eyes. Andy paled and looked across the street. It made sense now...
"That bitch." He breathed and got up, darting into the buidling.
"Andy?! Dude, what's going on?!" Scout ran after him. "What's gotten into you?"
"Where is she?" He hissed, looking behind every door and every counter.
"Who is she?" Scout scowled. "Andrew, what-"
"Scout, go- go home." He ran his fingers through his hair. "Something really big has come up and- and you can't be here."
Scout was silent, giving Andy a bad feeling.
"Scout, are you okay?" he sighed. "You have to- Seriously, you shouldn't be here."
"I'm not." She said, face and voice suddenly void of all emotion. "I never was."
Andy slowly looked at her. "Scout...?"
"You let me die, Andrew." She stared at him with dead eyes. "You let me suffer. You let me go. You let her win."
Andys face fell. "No- No, Scout-"
"You let me die!" She screeched. Andy fell against the wall, trembling as his hands covered his ears and pulled his hair.
"No! I t-tried! I tried to save you!" He shouted back, squeezing his eyes shut.
Scout walked to him as he fell on his side in a shaking ball.
"You're weak." She droned. "You're nothing. You can't win. You'll never win."
"Stop it!" He wailed. "Stop it! Stop! I- I can't-"
Scouts voice with joined with others, every other person he had lost to Kat.
"You let us all die. It's your fault."
Andy sobbed and screamed, curling up in a tight ball in attempts to drown them out. He tried summoning his sword to get rid of them but the blade went right through them.
He was trapped in his own head and drowning in self hatred...
Kat smirked evilly, watching her fragile brother writhe on the dirty floor. She had conjured up Andy's memories and twisted them, just to torture him and watch him suffer. She laughed and knelt down, touching his face gently. "Aw... Having a nightmare?" she murmured. Andy whimpered, eyes squeezed shut and his body shaking like a leaf. "Good." She kicked him, earning a loud yelp, before walking to the door.
"That takes care of that." She shut the door and walked to her car, leaving him alone.
Alone to battle his own insanity.

The six days remaining until Andy's birthday flew by before Andy knew it. He didn't go anywhere for christmas, didn't visit anyone or buy anything. Ever since Kat did... that thing... he had been like a zombie. He was completely lost in his own world. Then again, no one had come to visit or bothered sending a lousey text... Maybe they really were fed up with him.
Andy grimaced and stared at his cieling fan, head lolling to the side. His wings had been out since he got back from the building Kat left him in. He really didn't care anymore, to be honest. No one seemed to care, so why should he? He got up, large wings slumped to the floor behind him as he walked to the kitchen to get something to eat.
After getting some Froot Loops, he put on some clean clothes and went out to fly around and check out what was going on. Christmas wreaths and lights still hung on lamp posts and snowmen in store windows. He smiled when he caught the eye of the little girl from earlier... Cassie... Cassie looked up and clapped when she saw him, holding up a small puppy. Andy smiled and looked around, landing next to her, still invisible to everyone else.
"Still wearing the necklace?" He smiled, kneeling down to her. Cassie giggled and pulled it out, holding it. Andy smiled and patted her shoulder. "Whats the dogs name?"
"Ash." She chirped, petting the small black labradors head. Andys smile faded slightly. "Something wrong, angel man?"
Andy laughed. "Call me Andy... and- Yeah.. that name.. it just reminds me of someone." He shook his head. "Merry Christmas, Cassie." He murmured, taking off again.
"Thank you for getting my mommy and daddy back together!" She shouted at him as he left. Andy looked back at her, giving her a thumbs up with a grin. There were a few things he still liked about his job... Mainly the happiness he had the capability of bringing. Cassie was such a sweet kid... He landed outside Ashley's house, watching from outside the living room window as Kat sat on Ashley's lap while they watched The Walking Dead re-runs. He was still invisible, so Ashley couldn't see him. He put a hand on the window longingly. He wished that was him with Ashley... He wished that was him sipping hot cocoa and kissing the whipped cream from Ashley's nose... Kat looked up slowly, a grin tugging at her lips. She wiggled her fingers. Andy believed it to be a taunting wave, saying 'look what I have that you don't'. No, Kat wasn't that nice to him. He suddenly got a piercing headache, sending him to the ground. His wings disappeared and he became visible when it weakened him enough.
"You killed us!"
"You let us die!"
"It's your fault!"
"You couldn't save us."

The voices shouted in his head again, echoing and bouncing around until he screamed, clutching his head.
"Get out of my head!" He screeched and curled up again. The door suddenly opened, and Andy felt two strong arms pick him up and rush him inside. He couldn't open his eyes without seeing them, but he knew it was Ashley.