Status: Look at the story in full detail, the photos of the real vacation and the real people featured in the story at http://seasidesummerbc.tumblr.com/ Password: seaside

Keeping Summer

One // Rachel

Seaside Story - Brooke Choppin
Date: June Tenth Two Thousand Fourteen.
Time: Nine Thirty At Night
Place: The small white table and chairs next to the town stage, Seaside, Florida

Vacation is always fun. Vacation when you’re out of your home state is amazing. It’s your chance to become someone you’re not. When I’m at home I am the quiet girl that has her small group of friends. When I’m not in Texas I’m the girl I have always wanted to be. Confident, outspoken, outgoing, not afraid to talk to random people and develop friendships with strangers. Seaside is the best place to be that girl. I’m staying in seaside for three weeks. My family owns this beach house. I stay here with my Mother, Father, and my two cousins Kayla and Emily. Kayla is 15 and Emily is 13, I’m extremely close with them. My father’s business partner Kennedy Lane and his three daughters Riley, Sophie and Ava come with us also and are stay in the house next to ours. Riley is 15, Sophie is 12, and Ava is 7. We’re all insanely close.
We had just sat down at a table with our first round of snow cones from Frostbites. It’s our first night back at Seaside this summer. Growing up being here every summer and finally being back is a relief.
"Ryles, what flavor did you end up getting?" Kayla asks as she sits down in her chair.
"I got this wedding cake flavor, I think it’s new this year." Riley said as she scooped in for her second bite. "I think it has some kinda crème in it. You have to try this Em!" Emily shoveled some of Riley’s snow cone on her spoon then into her mouth. Her eyes went wide and her smile is huge.
"This is amazing, but I think I will forever favor watermelon" she smiled as she scooped some of her own snow cone into her mouth. "What are we going to do tomorrow?"
"I want to start our surfing lessons" Ava piped up with a mouth full of the fruity ice treat.
"I think my mom set up lessons for all of y’all from 6am to 10am." I said as I took a sip of water. I’ve never been a fan of snow cones.
"Are you not surfing with us?" Sophie asked.
"Nah, I’m just not feeling it this year." I stood up "Y’all have fun though, she got y’all the new teacher, Austin. He is so hot!" grabbed my wallet off of the table " I’m going to the record store really quick, I’ll meet you back at the house later." I smiled then walked over and down the stairs. I took a brisk walk across the green belt in front of the town stage, then across the small road. I stepped on to the creaky deck of the old book store ‘Rocket Dog Books’ and walked in.
"Rachel! You’re back again!" said the owner of the store Mr. Martin, "How have you been sweetie?"
"I’ve been fabulous! I read that book you gave me last summer, The Giver, It was amazing!" I smiled and hugged him "I’m headed up record store to see what collector items Ms. stace has gathered over the year"
"Good luck with that, before you leave this summer come by here. I have another book for you." He smiled then went back to the register to help a customer. I walked to the back stair case and up to the record store. When I got to the top of the stairs I took a right turn straight into a boy causing him to drop the record he had just bought.
"OH MY GOSH!" I said as I bent down to get the record. I picked up the ACDC record and handed it back to him.
"It’s fine, thank you" he said looking at me a brief moment with his sparking green eyes then sprinted down the stairs. I walked throughout the floor looking at the different records. Just then I hear a shrill shriek of excitement to the left of me.
"RACHEL HARRIS. IS THAT YOU?" a voice called then I got tackled into a hug.
"Hey Ms. Stace, how have you been" I smiled after she released me.
"I’m not going to be Ms. Stace for long." she smiled then wiggled her left hand at me. There sitting on her ring finger was a huge emerald cut diamond surrounded by smaller square cut diamonds on a silver band.
"Oh my gosh! Paul finally popped the question" I squeaked as jumped up and down with her.
"I’m going to be Mrs. Jackson in exactly two weeks and five days." she squealed "and actually I gave your mother an invitation this morning. There is room for everyone you came with and a plus one." she raised her eyebrows up and down hinting that there is a special someone.
"No. No. Lynn, there isn’t anyone" I said "So what about those collector items you emailed me about a few months ago?" I said walking over to the locked glass case.
"Come on Rachel! Kyle was over 2 years ago!" she whined as she unlocked the case so I could choose what record to buy.
"I’m not pining over Kyle, why does the whole world think I’m not over Kyle?" I complained as I grabbed a classic Rick Springfield record. "This is the one that will complete my set of all his records! I love you for saving this Lynn!"
"Any day sweet cheeks" she says as she takes me to the register. "So how are things between you and Kyle?"
"Eh. Since we split we don’t talk much. I haven’t seen him this trip at all, but of course it has only been about 15 hours that I’ve been here." I said as I took my newly checked out record from her.
"I’m sorry baby cakes," She said leaning against the counter "I’m here if you need me at any time"
I swing my bag back and forth as I walk home. I take the small walk way behind all the houses to get to my back porch. I punched in the code to the back door and set my stuff down on the kitchen counter.
"I’m home and I’m going to bed to whoever cares." I holler then walk up a flight of wooden stairs to the second floor I go into the room where all our clothes are then change into soffee shorts and a tank top. Then I walked up to the top story of our home. It is 3 pairs of bunk beds built into walls with lighting and shelves. Then through the French doors is a wraparound porch. I walk outside before I head to bed the first night. I quietly close the door and move swiftly to the ledge. I lean over the edge and listen to the beach waves that are less than 90 steps from my home. I smell the sea breeze and the moon reflects over the rooftops. The street lamps are only every 30 meters, so the streets are dim. We have a light right across from our house. I look down and I see the boy with the green eyes hop off his bike and park it at the house in front of ours.
I reflected over my past two years without Kyle. We were together for three years. We had known each other since we were two years old. Recently in the past two years, his family had found wealth in a relative that passed away. His parents stayed down to earth and so did his younger sister. He let the money get to his head. He just sort of grew out of me. I wasn’t on the same level as him anymore. He started hanging out with the east side of seaside. Eventually his parents did move over there, but come over to our house on the west side for wine every other night. He used to come when they drank at night, but he just soon stopped coming. I guess I will never understand him. Some things just don’t work out for a reason. Most of the time it’s for the better.