Wait for Me

Eleven

"Come on, Ryan. We're gonna be late." Justin yelled up the stairs.
This was their third meet at Grace's place. Ryan walked downstairs. "I'm ready."
"It's a Bible study, not a date." He said as he climbed into his Range Rover.
"Why aren't we taking the Ferrari?"
"She doesn't like all the flashy cars." he responded.
"So what's she like?"
"You'll love her, bro."
"Do you?" He glanced at him with a 'don't-lie-to-me' look.
"No. She's a great friend. Why would I want to put that in jeopardy?"
They arrived and Justin introduced Ryan to Grace. He smiled as she pulled out a new devotional.
"Here, Justin. I saw this and had to get it for you."
He smiled wider and chuckled as he read the title.
"The Hockey Lover's Guide To God".
"It uses different moves, plays and shots to communicate God's Word and guidance." she explained.
"Thank you." He hugged her. "I love it."
"You play hockey?" Ryan asked.
"Yup. Best sport ever known." She smiled.
Can this get any better? Justin thought.
"I'll play it with other girls, but I really enjoy the adrenaline rush when I'm the only girl on the ice and they treat me as an equal."
I guess so. Justin corrected himself.
"We had to play sports in college and, well, I passed, but not without pain."
"What do you mean?" Justin asked, seating himself on the couch.
"Well, they have 'floor hockey' which, in my opinion, is not hockey at all. It's a flimsy hockey stick with a big, thick sponge on the end with a sock over it."
"And the puck?" Justin questioned.
"Wiffle ball." She said, sounding disgusted. "Played on a hardwood gym floor."
"And when you hear 'hockey'..." Justin began to connect her thought process.
"I think 'ice' hockey'." she finished. "I busted my ankles a ton of times."
"How come?"
"Because when you stop on the ice, you lock your ankles and lean the opposite direction, making the blades on your skates dig into the ice. And you also run in tennis shoes on gym flooring differently than you do on skates in solid ice."
"What did you do when you got hurt?"
"I got back up- every time."
"Why do you like playing hockey with guys?" Ryan asked.
"Because I create bonds. I walk away with brothers who'll protect me, both on and off the ice."
"It's a community." Justin helped her out.
"It most certainly is."