Wait for Me

Ten

Justin's Point Of View
"Jake, what are you doing here?" Grace asked in a surprisingly nonchalant manner.
"So it is you?" he asked.

I wasn't sure if he was disappointed or excited to see her here.

She looked at me and saw my jaw still tensed. Jake nodded slightly in my direction, then yanked a chair away from a nearby table and sat down.

"Well, just make yourself at home, will ya?" I thought sarcastically.

"So how are you?" Grace asked. If she was worried or scared by the sudden show of her ex, she was hiding it very well.

"Good. So, uh, this your boyfriend?" He asked, nodding his head in my direction.

"Just a good friend." She said.

"I was a good friend."

"'Was' being the key word." she stirred her coffee.

"I'm good in other ways, too."

"Really?" she asked.

"Oh, that's right." He leaned the chair back, tapping his fingers on the table. "You don't know."

"And I wonder how many girls do know." Grace snapped.

"You can't get over me." Jake concluded.

"Yet it was you who came over to me." She retorted.

Grace's Point Of View

Justin was driving me home when I was struck with an idea. "Why don't we start a Bible study?"

He looked at me. "Together?"

"Yeah. If you have friends that would wanna come, you could invite them."

"Okay. What about you?"

"Well, Nadia and Myra were my college roommates, but Myra moved in with her boyfriend two months ago and doesn't have time for friends anymore."

"And Nadia?"

"She moved back to Guadalajara to be with her dying grandmother."

"Where's Myra from?"

"Her parents are from Nigeria."

"So you're a Canadian girl, with ancestors from Italy, living in the United States with one friend from Guadalajara and another who's basically from Nigeria."

"You catch on quickly." she giggled.

"Let's start the Bible study with just us and maybe Ryan Good can come."

"Okay. Sounds like a plan."