Sequel: Healing the Broken
Status: I hope you all enjoyed it, I most likely will be creating a sequel.

Avenging Death

Chapter Two: Fury

I walked in General Kan’s tent as he had requested of me. He sat at a table writing a letter. He looked up, when he noticed my presence.

“Ah Danj, remember when I promised you a mission, If you were to win your battle,” he said.

I nodded, trying to keep down the rage boiling inside of me as I was reminded of my family’s murderer.

He continued. "You are to return to Bylon and escort a child to the Neflexon kingdom."

I was outraged I was a soldier not a nanny, but I stood there doing my best to hide my disappointment.

"You'll leave in the morning, I know you may not approve of it, but you have begged me for a mission and I have given you one. You are one of the best soldiers I have. Do not disappoint me.

I opened the tent curtains to leave, I knew part of the reason he had sent me on this mission was to keep me from raising trouble and assassinating my opponent.

I went into my tent and began stuffing my bag with my belongings. As I walked up to my horse, someone snuck up behind me and grabbed me by my shoulders. I almost screamed and elbowed the man in the face.

"Relax its me," Kashon said. "it's only me."

I gasped in relief. "You scared the life out of me."

He laughed and then looked at me sternly. "You should be, I heard you nearly took a man's life."

"His one of the men who killed my family. His part of Leer's Clan," I defended myself.

"Then his a lead to Leer. If you killed him, we wouldn't be able to track him. Remember, my family was murdered that night, too. I want justice as much as you do but you can't get rid of the bread crumbs," He chastised. Kashon was only twenty-one and two years older than me but he always act like he was my supreme, always leturing and critizing me.

"I got it. I'm leaving now, so you don't have to worry about me slitting his throat," I slipped passed him trying to ignore his nagging.

"His right," Brail walked towards me, Kye was beside him.

"But I understand your reason," Brail was in his mid thirties. He was second in command for general. I found him to be the most sophisticated and wise. "I can't imagine what it was like to have the man who kill your family in your grip only for him to be release with the help of your own comrades."

"Did you really have to tell them," I stared at Kye.

"Brail," we heard it from the other soldiers not Kye. He just thought we should check on you."

"It's over," I said. "he escaped. I'm being sent away to take care of a child."

I tried to bypass Brail and Kye but he step in front of me and put his hand on my shoulders. "I can see fury in your eyes. Don't let it take over. I know your upset with General Kan but he knows what anger can do to a person as so do I. We all lost love ones that day but don't let vengeance poison and destroy you. We will find your opponent and keep an eye on him so that he may lead us to Leer in which we can justify the many lives he has ended. "

I frowned, but I knew Brail was solid on his word. Kye, Kashon, and I had all grown up together and Brail had watched over us. After our village was raided and many were murdered, the surviving children gathered and housed together. Brail's own wife and children had been murdered while he was away in the army. He was relieved from his duty but returned when we decided to join the army.

"Okay," I said. "I trust your word."

"Good," Brail said. "Before you leave, I want you to have this."

He pulled out his sword. It was long, thin, and beautiful. The silver glistened in the sunlight and my reflection was so clear on it, like I was starring through a mirror.

I took a step back. It was very intimidating. It had been given to Brail as a token for serving in the war. "I can't."

"Please take it," Brail said, "It's suppose to protect the people I care about. There's no point of me having two swords, if one of the people I care about will be leaving."

I knew he wouldn't accept no, so I took it. It was light but larger than most swords.

"You will need it," Brail said. "I know the mission seems trivial but it's actually quite dangerous even more so for a woman."

If any other person had mention me being a woman, I would have been angry but I understood what he meant. Man would pester and even rape women if they traveling along.

"You are like a daughter to me." He embraced me. "don't ever try to leave without saying goodbye again."

Kye walked up to me next. He starred right at me with sadden eyes. He walked up to me and pulled me into his arms. "I'm sorry I questioned you about your opponent. And I know you were angry, but don't-- just don't walk off like that again.

The way he said it made me feel worse about leaving. He was good at that-- making me feel remorse.

Next, Kashon embraced me. "Don't let any of those scum dog men take advantage of you. You are better than them. Oh, and if you ever try to leave without telling us again, I will drag you all the way back and make you regret it."

I rolled my eyes but hugged him back.

I hopped on my horse and waved goodbye to them as I trotted off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, this is a slow chapter.