Gotta Get Out

5

“I swear Ash is going to sleep through school one of these days.” Anne-Marie muttered on Friday morning. I laughed and shook my head, sipping my coffee.

“He probably will.” I replied. “That boy likes his sleep way too much.”

“And apparently his sister takes after him recently.” She sighed.

I chuckled and got down from the breakfast bar stool, looking at Harry.

“Hey, Harry, how about you go get Lauren up and I’ll go get Ash up, and then get ready and meet us at the car so we can drive you to school today?”

Harry nodded and ran off towards Lauren’s room. I quickly went upstairs toward where the curly haired boy was sleeping. Since Monday, I hadn’t slept a night at my own house. I alternated between Luke and Ashton’s houses, and I was starting to feel like a burden to them. None of my friends brought it up, which I was thankful for, but I knew that eventually they were going to. I sighed and opened Ashton’s door, seeing him snoring, face down on the mattress. I sat down next to him and rubbed his back gently.

“Ash, wake up. We’ve got to get ready for school.”

He groaned and buried his face deeper into the pillow.

“5 more minutes.”

“No, Ashton, your siblings are waiting.”

“But-“

“Alright, Ashton, I’m just going to go to school without you then.”

He sat up and got out of bed, walking over to me and pulling me up over his shoulder and I squealed.

“Put me down!” I whined. He laughed and started down the stairs.

“No! You can’t go to school without me. We always go together.”

I smiled and hit his back gently.

“I’m not going without you, just put me down.”

Ashton chuckled and put me down at the bottom of the stairs, where his mom greeted us.

“Alright, I’m going to work, the kids are in your car waiting for you, love you guys.” She said, grabbing her purse and kissing each of our cheeks. “Ash, will I see you before you leave for your show this weekend?”

Immediately, I froze. I forgot they had a show this weekend. What was I going to do? Ashton sighed.

“Uhm, no, probably not. We’re probably going to leave right after school.”

“Okay, well, be safe, okay? Love you.”

At that, she was out the door, and Ashton turned to look at me.

“Are you going to-“

“Ash, you’re siblings are waiting in the car, let’s go.”

“Olivia, are you going to come to the show this weekend?”

“Ashton, I don’t know.”

“I want you to come. You’ve been avoiding home for a reason, and although I don’t know what it is, it can’t be good, and I don’t want to leave you here.”

“Ash-“

“Just think about it, okay?”

I sighed as he grabbed his car keys and backpack, and I grabbed mine.

“Yeah, okay, I’ll think about it.”

He grinned and grabbed my hand. We filed out the door to the car, and I was filled with dread at the thought of making a decision. If I were to go with them this weekend, that would be it. I wouldn’t be slowed back into my own home again. But if I stayed home? I shuddered at the thought.

Ashton turned the heat up in the car, oblivious to the fact that I wasn’t shuddering due to the cold, but due to fear.