Gotta Get Out

4

“Can you please tell me what happened tonight?” Ashton whispered.

Everyone had fallen asleep, and we were downstairs drinking tea, sitting on the couch, as neither of us could sleep. I sighed and pulled my legs up to my body.

“I really don’t want to talk about it, Ash.” I whispered back.

“Liv, I wish you would let us help you.” He groaned.

“Ash, it’s not that simple.” I argued.

Ashton sighed and ran a hand through his hair in frustration before putting his tea down.

“Can you just come here?” He asked quietly, opening his arms. I smiled and crawled into my best friend’s arms as he draped a blanket over us. “You scare the crap out of me when stuff like this happens, Olivia.”

“I know, Ashton. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t apologize… just… jut stay here tonight where I can protect you, yeah?”

I smiled and cuddled further into his arms.

“Yeah.” I mumbled, my eyes suddenly drooping closed. “Goodnight, Ash. Thank you for being my best friend.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way, Liv.”

We then drifted off to sleep wrapped up in each other.

The next morning, we woke up to the flash of a camera and giggles. Ashton groaned and I laughed, opening an eye to see all of our friends surrounding us.

“Wake up, sleepy heads, time to get ready for school.” Calum chimed.

I untangled my limbs from Ashton’s and stood up, stretching.

“Hey, Cal, can I borrow a shirt?” I asked.

He nodded and disappeared upstairs, coming back a minute later with a Nirvana shirt. I grinned and kissed his cheek in thank you.

“I’m gonna come get ready with you, we need to talk anyway.” Brianna said, following me up the stairs to get ready for school. We went into the guest bedroom and started to change.

“So, what’s going on between you and Ash because…”

I pulled my shirt up, and then realized my mistake, as Brianna’s eyes got wide.

“What’s… what’s that?” Brianna asked, staring at my back.

I blushed, rushing to throw Calum’s shirt over my body.

“N-nothing.” I stuttered.

“Liv.” Brianna started. “That was a huge ass bruise.”

“I u-uhm. Can you not tell anyone?” I asked quietly.

“Of course I won’t, Liv, but what the hell happened? Are you-“

She was cut off by a knocking on the door.

“Hurry up!” Michael called through the wood. “We’re gonna be late!”

I shot my best friend a warning look and then pulled my jeans on as she got dressed. I could feel her eyes boring holes in the back of my head. We finished and went down the stairs, the boys waiting for us at the bottom.

“Bri, are you okay?” Michael asked his girlfriend. “You look a little pale, babe.”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” She said quickly. “Let’s go, we’re late.”

With that, we all piled into Ashton’s car and headed to school. I could only hope that this day would be better than the last.