Status: Hiatus

My Soul to Keep

Fear

Matt couldn't stay still after breakfast. He had been wondering around the house aimlessly in a haze. He would stop outside Terra's door every now and then, but would sooner or later walk on. He wanted to talk to her, just for the sake of talking to her. He had considered her a friend after working with her for so long, but now he felt as if she'd hate him forever. On his sixth time wondering near her room he heard a soft muttering voice that froze him. He moved closer to her door, hearing her groan softly.

He thought he might be hearing her having a personal moment and turned to leave. When he heard her groan turn to a panicked panting sound he turned around and cracked open the door. He saw her spawned out on her back, her chest heaving up and down rapidly. He came into the room and closed the door behind himself, never looking away from her. Her brow was creased and her face pained.

“Terra?”

Deep down he knew she was probably having a nightmare of some sort, but he wasn't sure whether to wake her or not. As he walked to her bed side she began to thrash her head around and mumbled lowly. Matt placed the back of his hand against her face, she felt feverish and clammy.

“Terra, wake up.” He shook her arms lightly and sat next her. “Terra, wake up. It's a nightmare.”

Terra suddenly shot up in bed, their faces were about two inches apart. Matt stared into her wide brown eyes, the longer he stared the more she seemed to relax. Terra was looking at Matt for the first time as he was. Not an enemy, a bad person or a friend. Just a man that was sitting by her side, looking into her soul with his curious hazel eyes.

“Take a few deep breaths,” Matt whispered as he looked down at her parted lips and then back into her eyes. “your breathing is still erratic.”

Terra did as he asked but still couldn't look away from him. Matt flattened his large hand across her chest, feeling her heart hammering in her chest. Terra relaxed more, feeling his warmth as he remained close. She placed her hand over his and then peeled it off slowly.

“Sorry. I was just trying to-”

“Doesn't matter.” She said finally able to look away from him.

“Do you want to talk about it?” He questioned still looking at her.

“No. I'm just tired and I had a weird dream. I'm fine.”

“Listen, I know this must be hard for you-”

“How would you know?” Terra used her arms to push herself away from Matt quickly.

Sighing to himself he tried to choose his words carefully before he opened his mouth. I'm going to have to tell her...

“Terra, I've been in a similar situation before. I can identify with how you're feeling right now.”

“Someone kidnapped you?”

“About five years ago I was a Marine.” Matt kept his eyes on hers, focusing on the small glitter in her eyes from the sunlight. “I was always...aware that something could happen to me. I was very aware of my surroundings at all times, well...except once.”

“What happened?” Terra pressed, seemingly engrossed in his every word.

“Long story short, I was taken hostage while guarding our position.”

“Were you tortured?” Terra asked leaning forward a fraction.

“I don't really want to get into that right now.” He breathed as he tried not to picture it in his mind.

“I'm sorry I've been so...difficult.” Terra looks across the room and then back at Matt, who never stopped looking at Terra.

“Hey, like I said, I understand.”

Terra was going to say something, but Zacky rushed into the room. He paused to narrow his eyes and look back and forth between Matt and Terra.

“What do you want Zack?”

“What are you doing in here?”

“What do you want Zack?” Matt questioned more agitated than the last time.

“We're going to Texas next Monday. Thought I should let you know so you can prepare yourself.”

“Okay, noted.”

Zacky didn't leave, instead he propped himself against the door frame and smiled. He was making it clear that he wasn't going to leave the room and Terra was bothered by it.

“If you two could leave, that would be awesome. I've got to shit.”

Matt looked over at Terra before smiling too widely and laughing out toward Zacky. He pushed himself off the bed and looked down at Terra.

“Need a magazine?”

“Nope, just for the two of you to help yourselves out of my space.”

Nodding, Matt walked passed Zacky and laughed out again. Zacky followed behind Matt, closing the door behind him and cringing the whole time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I don't know if anyone pays much attention to the character's tab. Hint, Hint...I added Terra if you guys want to know what she looks like.