Status: Hiatus

My Soul to Keep

Terror

Matt was moving so quickly, Terra almost tripped twice. She held her dress in her left hand and her clutch in her right. When they got to the car, she was out of breath and her mouth was a little dry. Matt started the car and threw it into drive, pulling away from the curb quickly. Terra barely had time to click her seat belt on to protect herself from his reckless driving.

“Geez Matt, I understand you're in a hurry...”

“I'm sorry, but I really have to get there fast-”

Matt slammed on his brakes sharply, causing the car to skid a short distance before it came to a stop. Terra gripped at her chest as she tried to slow her heart rate. There was a black van blocking the street, with it being night already, he hadn't seen it until the last moment. He snapped his head to Terra with propping eyes.

“Are you alright?” He asked taking his hands off the steering wheel slowly.

“Yeah, I'm fine.” Terra stated as she returned his stare. “Who leaves their car-”

When three shots rang out into the air, Matt threw his car in reverse and backed up quickly. Pulling into a parking lot off the main street, he turned his car off, unbuckled himself and leaned over to open his glove compartment. He pulled out a black handgun and checked the chamber for ammo. He spared one glance at a terrified Terra who stared back at him with widened eyes.

“Terra, you need to listen to me. Get down on the floor and don't move.”

“Matt, what the hell is-”

He grabbed her arm with his free hand, frantic hazel eyes peered into her. “Just get down and stay still. Do you understand?!”

“What if someone finds me? Matt I-”

He seemed to pull a knife out of thin air as he handed it to her. She gripped it slowly and looked back into Matt's face. “Then go for the throat and don't stop stabbing.”

With those final words, he exited the car and ran across the street into the darkness. Silence set in around Terra like a python around its prey. Everything suddenly seemed to be closing in around her as the paranoia set in. She felt as if someone was watching her from the shadows, like people were surrounding the car just waiting for Matt to be too far away.

I'm okay, I'm alright. She repeated inside her head, but she couldn't make her body believe anything she was saying. Her body was already trembling with fear, she felt as if an hour had gone by, but according to the clock on the dash board it had only been two minutes. Four more gun shots rung out into the night, spaced out with maybe two seconds in between each one. Terra's heart crawled into her throat and her stomach tightened.

Out of the silence she could hear something that sounded like running. She felt a ping of excitement, hoping that Matt had come to his senses and was returning to get them out of the situation. However, the face she saw when the door was yanked opened wasn't Matt's.

“Well hello there.”

“Matt!” Terra tried to scramble into the seat to get out of the car, but the man grabbed a handful of her hair and yanked her back down.

“Shut the fuck up!”

She remembered Matt's words and clutched the knife tightly in her hand. She struggled against the man gripping her hair, leaning up on her knees would only result in her being shoved back down. She sliced at the air wildly, making contact twice. The man growled at her and yanked her other arm painfully forward. Her face smacked the center console and she yelped in pain.

“You stupid little bitch!”

She began to scream at the top of her lungs for Matt, hoping that someone that could help her would hear.

“Scream all you want honey, no one's gonna save you from me.”

Everything moved so fast, she didn't see it. There was a loud gunshot, her ears began to ring and then Matt was pulling her out of the passenger side of the car. He hurried away with her in the opposite direction before coming to a large silver SUV. She was shoved inside and then immediately she had Matt in her face. She saw his lips moving, but she couldn't hear a thing he said.

He placed his hands on either side of her face and examined her head, that's when she could start to hear a little bit at a time.

“No bleeding, just a scratch on her cheek. I don't think we need to go to the hospital Brian.” Matt noticed her staring at him and smiled shortly. “Can you hear me now Terra?”

“Um, yes.”

“Are you okay, other than the scratch?” She went to respond, but instead noticed the blood plastered on the front half of his shirt. She began to panic in his arms and shove him away. “Terra stop! Terra, it's alright!”

During her panic, she began to loose her breath and her head started to spin. Matt could only watch helplessly as she passed out on the plush seat before him.