Status: work in progress

Perfect Storm

First Date

“Hey” he smiles, when I open the door. It’s our first official date and I’m ridiculously nervous. We’ve hung out a couple of times, with his teammates and their girlfriends, and it’s been fun laidback no pressure fun. I always end up talking to just him, sitting practically on his lap (granted they don’t give me much room not to be on his lap, hockey players are not tiny men.) The more we talk the more I like him, he’s multi-faceted, not just an incredibly talented athlete but a caring son and brother. The way he talks about his family makes me smile wider than I thought possible, and he seems genuinely interested when I talk about my family and growing up in central Ohio.

“Hi” I smile grabbing my purse. “You clean up well, Mr. Crosby.”

“Thank you, but I pale in comparison to you. You look amazing as usual” he replies as I lock the door. “Seriously you looks adorable when you come over after work and now that I give you some notice you look even better, it’s kind of ridiculous.”

“Stop” I laugh. “You sir are the ridiculous one. You have it easy, it’s hard looking adorable when little kids are putting their stinky hands all over you.”

“You manage so well though.” He steps closer putting an arm around my waist as we walk to his car. I can’t help but smile at him. “Oh, and now the knock out smile. I can’t handle it. Too much beauty in one girl.”

“Well stop complimenting me then. I can’t help but smile when you keep saying these sweet things. Really you’ve got to spread out the compliments. I’m going to get used to them and expect them all the time if you’re not careful.”

“You should expect them all the time” he states mater-of-fact as he helps me into the car.

I watch him walk around the front of the car and climb in, he moves so gracefully it’s almost
unnatural (his ass isn’t too horrible to look at either). “So, Mr. Crosby where is this secret place you are taking me?”

“It’s a secret.”

“It’s a first date, I hope you don’t set the bar too high is all” I comment as he takes my hand in his.

“Don’t worry about it” he says with a smirk, an adorable ‘I want to kiss you’ smirk. Man do I want to kiss him. He hasn’t tried to yet, but I’m hopeful that tonight will be the night I get that kiss. “What are you thinking about? You look deep in thought.”

“Oh, nothing really” I answer with a smile.

*****

“Holy man Sidney, that was amazing. The lights, the food! You have officially given me the best date I’ve ever been on” I exclaim, I’ve never had such an amazing time before. At a restaurant with a view overlooking the city, he had a small table set up away from the other patrons. “And the food! So good!”

“I’m glad you liked it. It’s one of my favorite places to go, I take my family there every time they come down for longer than a weekend.” We walk towards a nearby park, his hand enveloping mine.

“You really love them, I can tell by the way you talk about them.”

“Of course I do, even if my sister is a real pain.”

“Taylor right?” I laugh. He nods pulling me closer. “I have to tell you it’s our job as the younger sibling to be a pain in your backside. It’s a genetic thing.”

“Genetics huh?” Sidney smiles, “This explains a lot.”

“Well I am a teacher, we know a thing or two” I say matter-of-factly.

“You do, this is true. I’m sure then that you know that I like you a lot.”

“I’ve begun to see that” I smirk.

“I’ve been pretty obvious about it haven’t I?”

“A little yes” I answer stopping a few feet from his car. “It just so happens that I like you too.”

“That’s good to know. I can sleep peacefully now” he jests. “Actually, I probably won’t sleep peacefully.”

“Why not?” I thought he said he liked me and was happy that I like him too? Did I misunderstand something?

“You look confused” he laughs helping me into his car again.

“Is it that obvious?” I ask before he can close the door.

“Yes, but its adorable” he whispers, close enough to kiss me. And for a moment I think he just might. A moment, then he closes my door and as he walks around to his side I see him rake his hands through his hair in frustration.

He drives me home in silence, if he wasn’t holding my hand I’d be worried that maybe the date hadn’t gone as well as I had thought. He apparently doesn’t hate me, he said he likes me, so he can’t be regretting tonight can he? This is going to drive me crazy if I keep thinking about it but it’s been so long since I’ve felt this way about someone. He’s handsome, and intelligent. He’s the whole package. He’s also a professional athlete, why would he want to date little, common, elementary school teacher me? He could have some model on his strong, muscular arm.

I have to stop thinking about this I’ll drive myself crazy. Sighing I mentally shake the thoughts from my mind if only for a second. As I do so he gives my hand a gentle squeeze, almost as if he knew I needed a bit of reassurance. I turn to look at him, catching his profile every time he passes under a street light. I’m lucky enough to be on a date with him, most girls would kill for this chance, even if it’s just a date I should consider myself to be the luckiest girl in Pittsburgh.

“You’re awfully quiet” he says softly when he turns into my condo.

“You hadn’t said much either” I reply, mustering the best smile I can as I open the door before he can get to it. If he’s going to do what I think he is than I don’t want to bother with waiting for him.

“I shouldn’t have kept you out so late, you must be exhausted. After teaching all day. I’m sorry it’s so late” he says catching up with me.

“It’s not too late, no worries” I reply coolly.

“Alright, well I should go then.”

“Ok.”

“Are you alright? We’ve hung out a few times and I thought that we were having a good time. I was at least. I’m confused.”

“So am I. I had a fantastic time tonight, as I already said this is the best night I’ve had in a long time. I thought it was going really well and then when we got back in the car, I thought that there was a moment and somehow I talked myself into believing that this was basically a pity date. You could be here with some model instead of me and now I feel like an idiot for thinking you might have kissed me in the park, that you could possibly…” Then on my front steps I’m cut off, his hand slides into my hair and around my waist pulling me flush against his body. His lips crash into mine, both strong and soft at the same time. Once I catch my train of thought I sigh and wrap my arms around his neck standing on my tip toes to get as close as I can.

When we break apart I take a second to catch my breath, his forehead resting against mine still he says, “I wanted to go to dinner with you. I wanted to kiss you that first night we met. If this is a pity date it’s because you found pity on me.” He gives me another gentle kiss then smiles when I sway as he loosens his grip on my waist. “You better go inside before I don’t let myself leave.”

“Ok” I nod. “Sidney?”

“Yes?”

“Thank you, for a wonderful evening.”

“No, thank you. I’ll talk to you real soon” he states as I walk in my door. “Good night.”

“Good night” I whisper to him before closing the door. I almost melt into the door, still feeling the lingering presence of his lips on mine. “Best first date ever, best first kiss ever.”

As I change into my comfy clothes, you know yoga pants and the over-sized t-shirt, I can’t wipe a smile off my face. I make a cup of tea, curl up on my couch, and settle in under a comfy blanket. How can one date be so great? My phone starts to ring, it can’t be him already can it?

“Hello?” I answer.

“My best!”

“Kristen! My best! You have the most amazing timing!”

“Oh, why is that?”

“I had a date tonight” I smile thinking about it all over again. “And it might be the greatest night of my life.”

“WHAT?!?” Why didn’t I know about this before? Tell me everything!” I go through the whole evening ending with my long rant and the kiss to forever ruin all other kisses. “Wow, that’s quite a night! And it sounds just like you to over think it, and semi-freak out.”

“You know me so well.”

“I also know that any man who can handle you’re overactive brain is worth keeping around” she adds.

“I think so too. I feel like my body is electrified around him, like there’s a constant current between the two of us. I don’t know how else to explain it” I say, closing my eyes so I can almost feel it.

“I’m a little jealous.”

“Don’t be, I’m the one here all alone. No real friends, acquaintances yes but I barely know them. I miss you!”

“I miss you too! Maybe I’ll come and visit!”

“That would be so great! I miss our sleepovers, and just cuddling and chatting on the couch with you.”

“You know that he’s going to have to pass the cousin/best friend test right?”

“Oh, I know.”

“Well you must be exhausted you’ve had an eventful evening. I’m going to look into flights and let you know. Love you girly.”

“Love you to my best. See you soon!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for checking out the first chapter, I hope that the second still lives up to your expectations.

Again, please comment, subscribe, and recommend this story. Also check out some of my other stuff!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas/Hanukkah/Whatever you celebrate! And a very happy New Year!

-Kate