Thinking Out Loud

Seraphina

“The school is on the phone with your mother, you have to go tomorrow so they can help you catch up and pass before the nine weeks is over.” My father’s voice floated around the bedroom. I didn’t bother to roll over and acknowledge him. I knew I couldn’t stay home and hide forever.

“If you go and finish this nine weeks out, then I will pull you out of school and have you cybered or we could even try home schooling. I got a few math skills up my sleeve.” I felt him sit on the top corner of my bed. His hand slid under the blanket and stopped on my forehead.

“I don’t have a fever dad.” I groaned.

“I know. I just haven’t felt this close to you in awhile.” He muffled.

The room was filled with silence for about five minutes until he left out a heavy sigh.

“It was wrong of me to ground you. It was wrong of me to ban you from going outside. It was silly of me to try to keep you cooped up and sane in this house. I just wanted to protect my angel baby.” His hand moved from my forehead to my hair. I couldn’t ignore him anymore, it was impossible to.
I pushed the blankets off of me and faced him. I gawked over the fact that his brown locks were buzzed off. When did this happen? His five o’clock shadow is 24 hours over due. I haven’t seen him in two days and this is what I missed? I wonder if mother switched up her looks also. I hope not.

A large smile was increasing under his mustache.

“Those beautiful eyes, I missed them so much.” He pinched my cheek, and I pushed his hand away. He knew I hated when he did that but he couldn’t help himself.

“I’ll go. Just, please let me walk to and from school. I don’t want to ride the bus, and I don’t need a ride.” My voice was different. It wasn’t as strong as it used to be, but it wasn’t as weak as I expected it to be. It was just, unfamiliar.

His smile was slowly dropping but he was trying his hardest to pick it up. He didn’t say a word, but he nodded his head in agreement. I knew he was uncomfortable with this, but it’s what I want.
I wrapped my arms around him tightly; it took him a second to realize he should probably do the same.

I missed his grip, his love. We used to be so close but with everything going on, we faded.

I glanced up to see Seth leaning on the door frame. He smiled, and I returned the gesture.

It’s been awhile since I seen him.