Status: ongoing

Night Visions

Chapter Thirteen

-Ria's POV-

It's 5am and I'm helping Kerrie load her suitcase into the back of the hire car Phil and Dan are taking to the airport.

“You look like death Ria.” Kerrie laughed as I stood outside with her. We didn't finish packing her stuff until 10pm and then she was up all night because she was so excited, which meant I havent slept.

“At 5am I'm not even human, Kez” I mumbled into my scarf. It doesn't matter what time of year it is here, it's always really cold in the mornings.

“Have fun! If you spend your time worrying about me, I'll kill you.” I say holding her in a big hug.

I wave for a minute or two until I see the car fade away in the morning fog. Now what?

Closing the door behind me I gaze around the room. It's just me now. I flick the kettle on and pick up a book. Leaning over the breakfast bar I flip through the pages. Today's going to be a long day.

-
It's been five days since Kerrie and the boys left for Florida. I've gotten some nice emails with some photos from Kerrie. I'm glad she's finally spending some time alone with Phil. I scroll through all the other dozens of emails I have and ignore most of them. The rain streams down the windows in the office, the sound is soothing and brings a feeling of comfort to me. Suddenly my phone starts buzzing. It's an unknown number, I answer cautiously.

“H-hello?” I say quietly.

“Ria? It's me, Dan.” I let a sigh of relief out and smile.

“Oh it's you. How's Floria? The con thing?” I ask now feeling relaxed again.

“Yeah, it's been pretty good actually. I've been hanging out with some of my American friends, Cat and Anthony etcetra. Phil hasn't been around much...” I love the way I can just listen to Dan talk forever, it's really calming. “So, what have you been up to?”

“Oh me? Nothing much really. Just been doing a lot of reading and writing the past few days. I've been fine.” I say yawning. I hear him giggle down the phone.

“You sound like you need some sleep, I'll let you go. I'll see you in a few days. Oh and Ria?” Dan says quietly.

“Yeah?” I reply sleepily.

“I love you.” It's silent now and my heart is beating so hard against my chest I think it might burst.

“I love you too” I say trying to hide my embarrassment. He hangs up and I'm left sitting in my office chair in the enveloping silence. We've told each other that we love each other before, but why is it that now I feel so... awkward hearing it again? Maybe because I haven't heard from him in five days?

Resting my head on the desk I don't know how to process this feeling. My phone buzzes again, another unknown number.

“Dan?” I say down the line.

“Guess again.” The voice is familiar.

It wasn't Dan.