The Book of Me and You

Don't let it break your heart

“What do you mean?” She asked while looking into his beautiful green eyes. They were lying on her bed just hanging out after a long and tiring day at school.

“I mean that you should come…as my date.” John said as he played with her now rather long hair. God, he loved her hair. In fact, he loved everything about her.

“I can’t.” Hayley answered with a sad smile. They weren’t together, at least not anymore.

“Why?”

“You know why.” He gave her a not impressed face and sat up on the bed. “John, don’t make me feel like shit because of it.”

“I just don’t understand, why on earth would you be with that jerk.”

“He’s not a jerk. But you’re an ass when you’re talking about him like that.” She was getting annoyed by the way John acted recently. He was the one, who decided not to continue the friend with benefits stuff they started six months ago. He was the one who told her to move on and find a nice guy who would treat her right. Hayley was upset first but then did what John asked and moved on…sort of. Sometimes she still wanted him to change his mind and run back to her. Sometimes.

“I am not. I’m just tellin’ the truth.” John looked into her eyes with a bit worry. “I hear him how he talks about girls…Hayley I’m just worried, and as your best friend it’s my duty to look after you.”

“Did you hear him talk about me?”

“No..not yet at least.”

“Then you have nothing to worry about, Bub.” And with that she ended the conversation about Joe, her latest boyfriend material. Hayley took John’s hand and pulled him back to her bed. “We should find you a decent girl, O’Callaghan.”

“I can find myself a girl anytime, Johnson.” He said with a playful smile.

“I’m talking about a nice girl, not a slut. There’s a difference.”

“You’re the only nice girl I know.”

“Stop it.” She gave him a kiss on his cheek and made her way to her closet. “Now get your ass out of my bed. I have a date tonight.”

“You used to love me being in your bed.” John winked at her while getting up.

Hayley made her way down the stairs in her mother’s house. It’s been three days since the party, and she hasn’t left the house ever since. She basically just slept the whole day. She was a mess. A bigger mess than ever.

“Hayley, you seriously need to get out of the house.” Her mother told her kindly but firmly enough to make her daughter feel like a teenager again.

“I will.” She said and poured herself a cup of coffee.

“You could take Kevin to the hospital. He has an appointment later today.”

“Okay, Mother.”

“Oh and don’t forget that tonight we’re going over to Jenny and John’s place.” Hayley almost chocked on her coffee after hearing those words coming out of her mother’s mouth.

“What?”

“They haven’t seen you since you came back, and you know how much they miss you.” Hayley gave her a skeptical look. “Don’t give me that look Hayley. I talked to Jenny and she insists on you coming.”

“Mom, I can’t.” She looked at her mom desperately, almost crying.

“Hey, baby” She ran to her daughter and gave her a much needed hug. “Shh…Baby girl, it’s okay. He won’t be there.”

“How do you know?” She asked still hugging her mom tightly. “He’s everywhere I go.”

“He stopped going to our game nights after you left. He barley visits his family anymore.”
“Hayley Johnson! I can’t believe it’s actually you” Jenny O’Callaghan almost screamed and captured Hayley in a hug “You look so pretty and grown up!”

“It’s good to see you Jenny. I missed you.” Hayley said while trying to get out of the arms of Jenny. She was barley inside of their house when she was attacked by the O’Callaghans.

“University life did well to you, kid” Said John the V, better known as Jay. “We have a lot to catch up on.”

It went better then she expected. She really missed all of them. But for five years she lived in the thought that each and every of the O’Callaghan family hated her. It turned out most of them were just missing her.

Right before dinner was ready, a very upset looking yet calm Dan appeared. He avoided eye contact with Hayley, and honestly, she was fine with it. They haven’t talked since the party, and she felt that Dan owned her an apology after five years of silence.

They sat together at the table, Jenny talking to Jay and Gabrielle while Shane, Ross and Kevin were arguing about a baseball match. Hayley and Dan just sat across each other none of them showing interest in the conversations. After dessert, Hayley decided enough was enough and excused herself to go out for a smoke.

“So, I guess we should talk.” She heard Dan’s voice behind her as she stood on the front porch smoking her cigarette.

“Why? You finally have something to tell me?” Hayley asked rudely while he made his way next to her. Both of them looking across the street, staring at the house they grew up.

“Hayley, I’m sorry.”

“Yeah…me too.” She sighed. “Sorry for being a messed up little sister and stealing away your friend so you would hate me.”

“Hayley don’t be like this. I came to apologize.” He took his hands on her shoulder. “Don’t be a bitch.” He said with a tiny laugh. It used to be an inside joke, back in the days when they were fine. But now, Hayley wasn’t laughing at all.

“Maybe I’m being a bitch, but you are, and always been a mean and selfish dickhead, Dan!” She looked at him disappointingly.

“I know. I was.”

“I’m so mad at you! You’re my brother for fucks sake! You’re supposed to support me, not rioting against me and sending me away to go fuck myself! Why weren’t you there for me? Why did you choose John instead of me?” And at this point Hayley was almost crying. Dan looked at her with the same teary eyes.

“I’m so sorry! Sorry!” He clanged onto her and hugged her for the first time in so many years. “I’m sorry Hayley, please forgive me!”

Before Hayley was able to answer, they were disrupted by a very confused John O’Callaghan standing in front of the stairs of his front porch.

“Sorry, I…I didn’t... want to disturb you or anything” John said with his eyes glued to Hayley and no one else. She gave him an ‘It’s okay’ look and made her way down the steps passing next to John.

“Where are you going??” Dan asked taking a few step following her. She turned around not even once looking at her brother but staring into John’s green eyes every now and then.

“Tell mom, I was tired and went home.” Hayley said calmly then looked at John one last time, who was still giving her those desperate puppy eyes. “Goodbye John.”

And with a characteristic sad smile she was gone...
♠ ♠ ♠
Hayley's outfit.