Status: Active

Burn

[Chapter Fifteen]

Image


After the boys had cooled down and the crew members packed up their equipment we headed out of The Palace for the studio. The rest of the band had teased us relentlessly for the last hour about the mushy scene that happened earlier so I was slightly relieved when they told us they would be going out that night.

"Yeah, we were gonna go get drinks at this bar downtown--did you guys want to come?" Jared asked, looking between John and I.

"No." I answered automatically. I was so tired I knew alcohol and I wouldn't be a good mix. John shook his head too and Jared smirked. "Should have seen that one coming."

John rolled his eyes, shoving Jared's shoulder. "I would have said no anyways."

"Yeah, sure."

We all walked down the hallway to the entrance beside the stage, across the wooden floors where the fans were standing earlier that night and through the main entrance doors. John and I were leading the group, so we were the first ones out the door and had no idea what was coming.

John pushed open the door that swung left while I pushed the one swinging out right and he looked back down at me, grinning and opening his mouth to say something before a rush of things happened all at once. Someone screamed out, "Caleb!" as a blur came rushing towards John, tackling him and pinning him to the ground, land blows on his face and chest.

It was as if everything was moving way too quickly for me to understand. Before I could even process what happened, Garrett and Kennedy had pushed Caleb away, pulling John to his feet. He was now sporting a bruise across his cheek bone that was turning deeper shades of purple by the minute.

I covered my mouth with my hand, muffling a chest-rattling sob that was threatening to escape. I looked over at Caleb, who was being held restrained by Alex. Joel was standing in front of him with his hand on his chest as if he was preparing for him to lunge out for another attack.

"That was for that little shit you tried to pull on stage tonight." Caleb said coldly.

He looked at me from under his bangs, heaving for air heavily and snatching away from Alex's grip. I head John cough and spit on the ground, but I didn't tear my eyes away from Caleb's.

"How could you!" I shrieked as tears spilled hotly from my eyes and onto my cheeks. I shook my head, looking between him and John before I repeated a little lower, "How could you?"

"Viola, I--"

"Shut up!" I screamed so harshly that my voice cracked. I could feel everyone's appalled expressions on me but I tried to ignore it so that I wouldn't lose my courage. "I am completely sick of this. This will never happen again. Ever."

I locked eyes with John, who gave me a weak half-smile with the side of his face that wasn't swollen and purple. I walked over to him, wiping away some of the wetness on my cheeks quickly in embarrassment. He mouthed that he was sorry to me and I shook my head, hoping with everything I had that he honestly didn't think this was his fault.

"Do you need us to come home?" Pat asked quietly, looking worriedly at John. I smiled and shook my head once more. "I have my car. You guys go on and have fun--I can patch him up."

They all walked towards Tim's car, hugging me before they went and patting John on the back. Garrett whispered jokingly before he left, "We can still get in a sneak punch when he's not looking, you know."

"I'm so sorry." I mumbled to John. I reached up and touched his cheek as soft as I could but he still flinched at the contact. He took my hand in his, squeezing it. "Sorry, it's just a little tender."

Rose and Callie walked over to us then, Rose shaking her head as she inspected John's face. "He might look like a little wimp but he packs a hard punch. I'm really sorry about all of this, John."

He smiled slightly at her before looking down at me. "I'm gonna go wait in the car." he said lowly and bent down, planting a swift kiss on the top of my head. I watched him walk away then looked over at Caleb, who was sitting on a bench with Alex and Joel hovering close by him.

"He deserves everything you're thinking about saying to him." Callie said as if reading my mind. I went over to him, trying to keep my nerve up as he slowly raised his head to look at me. His facial expression was so stony and intimidating I almost turned around and walked away.

"What exactly were you expecting to accomplish with that tonight?" I asked icily. "You did it and now what? What was the point, Caleb."

He stood up then, towering over me so that I backed up a few paces. He looked so intensely into my eyes that I turned away but he grabbed my chin, directing my face back to him. It was not a sweet gesture at all like when John touched me--his was too forceful, too strong. It made me angry. He lowered his voice, speaking in a compassionate tone. "Viola, listen. I know that I don't treat you how I should all the time. I also know that I am insanely jealous, and it's because I'm so scared that I'm going to lose you. You are without a doubt the most beautiful girl I've ever met and I should have said this a long time ago. I need you to know that I am in love with--"

"Don't you fucking dare." I seethed. I snatched away from him, standing up straighter and staring him right in the eyes. "Dominance and submissiveness isn't love, Caleb. You don't even know what love is."

His expression darkened as I pulled away from him and his eyes flashed violently. "Oh yeah? And you do?"

I lowered my eyes once again, feeling my cheeks burn. He laughed abruptly, startling me. "Oh my god. You think--Jesus Christ, Viola. You think John loves you? You have got to be fucking kidding me."

His laugh was dark and so full of mockery that Alex and Joel shifted uncomfortably beside us. "Caleb, man. Stop it." Joel warned, pulling me behind him so that he stood between Caleb and I.

"Not if she wants to think that the douchebag loves her, then bring him over here. Let's ask him!" he laughed again, the sound filling my ears and making me sick to my stomach. How could he be so cruel? Who was the Caleb that was standing in front of me?

"Enough." Alex demanded. "That is absolutely enough. You've said all that you need to say, Caleb."

I shook my head furiously, refusing to leave it alone until I got up under his skin like he did mine. "Why don't I just let you know how much he loves me when I go home tonight and take care of him?" I snarled deviously, and Caleb's face burned red as he processed what I meant. With that I turned on my heel and stalked off, walking towards my car and the only person that mattered tonight.

-------------------


"Are you okay?" I asked quietly once we were well on the road. I glanced over at him, catching his stony expression and feeling my stomach tighten up. He hadn't spoken all car ride, so I knew something was up.

"I saw him touch you." he murmured, looking over at me. We passed under a streetlight and it cast even darker shadows over his face that his bruise didn't provide. "I saw him grab your face, and I almost got out of the car."

"John he didn't hur--"

"I know he didn't hurt you. But it didn't make me any less angry. He's controlling, Viola. He needs to be put in his place."

I smiled, trying to lighten the mood. "You're starting to call me just Viola more and more, you know."

He smirked, looking away and out the window. "Don't get used to it."

He fell back into silence until we got to the studio. My mind was racing the entire time with tonight's events playing over and over again in my head. But it wasn't my fault this happened--I wasn't the one who suggest I invite all my friends to the venue again.

I followed John into the house and he immediately perched himself on the counter while I began rummaging the cabinets for an ice pack. He watched me with an amused expression I filled it, but didn't say anything.

"Here." I held it out to him once I was finished. "Put this on your face."

"Yes ma'am, Nurse Viola." he replied, grinning at me. I rolled my eyes, leaning against the counter and watching him as he pulled out his phone, scrolling idly on Instagram with his free hand. My phone dinged shortly after and I knew immediately what he had done.

I narrowed my eyes at him as I pulled out my phone. "You didn't."

"I did."

I looked to see the picture of John and I posted to his Instragram with the time showing 22 sec ago. "How did you even get that to your phone? It was taken on a digital camera!" I exclaimed, frowning.

He grinned cheekily one more. "I have my ways, Viola Grey."

He'd put the caption "This girl" up under it. So simple, but yet it meant so much to me. I blushed furiously as he held out his hand, motioning for me to come to where he was still sitting on the counter. I walked over cautiously and he grabbed my arm, bringing me to him and trapping me between his legs.

John sat his ice pack down, bringing one cold palm and one warm palm to cup either side of my face and slowly connect his lips to mine. He kissed me closed-mouthed before sliding his hand down my face and caressing the side of my neck. The temperature difference between my neck and his hand made me gasp, and John took advantage of this opportunity and slid his tongue into my mouth. He moved from his seat on the counter to fully standing, wrapping his arms around my waist and crushing my body against his. Our mouths moved in sync as I wrapped my arms around his neck and stood on my tip toes, pushing my chest even closer against his.

I pulled away breathlessly a few moments later as John pressed feathery kisses from the edge of my jaw down to my collarbone and back, reminding me of the scene that happened earlier that morning on the air mattress. He nipped at my neck softly causing me to jump and he chuckled, a low sound in his throat.

He pulled back, looking at me with such a warmth and playfulness in his eyes it made me smile. "Do you wanna go upstairs?"

-------------


We ended up on his bed, sprawled out comfortably as I flicked through the channels on TV. John couldn't keep his hands off me for some reason--he was currently drawing patterns on my bare legs that were draped over his lap.

"Why weren't you always this handsy?" I teased, and I watched the corners of his mouth twitch up into a small smile.

"Once I started, how was I supposed to stop?" he murmured. My cheeks burned passionately. I turned my attention back to the TV guide, though I could feel his eyes still on me.

"How come there's nothing to watch?" I whined.

"It's late." John said, glancing over at the alarm clock on the nightstand. "It's almost 12."

"Yeah, I'm getting tired. If I fall asleep like this, are you gonna put me in my own bed?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"No." he answered automatically, and I smiled. "Good."

"Good?"

"Yeah. Now I have a legit excuse to sleep over here."

"And what's that?" he asked, stopping the patterns on my legs. He looked at me expectantly and I felt my face heat up.

"Well, you know..." I trailed off, gesturing my hand in the air. "I mean, me and you--"

"Yeah?" he asked, smirking. "Spit it out, Viola Grey."

I picked my leg up and brought it down hard on his, but it only made him laugh. "It's so fun to watch you squirm."

"Shut up. Your cheek looks better." I commented. The bruise was starting to lighten with the help of the ice, but it was still deep purple in a few spots. "Does it still hurt?"

"It's not so bad."

I crawled to where he was at the head of the bed, laying down on the pillow beside him and continuing to flip through the channels. John sighed contently and I looked back at him to see a lazy smirk on his mouth as he looked down at me. "Why do you look so satisfied?" I asked and he shook his head in return.

"Tonight went exactly how I wanted it to--well except being punched in the face." he laughed softly.

"I'm so sorry about that, John."

"It's okay." he brushed his knuckles against the side of my jaw in a playful manner. "I'd take a punch for you anytime, Viola Grey."

"You'll never have to again." I stated simply. He chuckled and slid down to lay beside me so that our sides were touching. I forced myself not to blush at the contact. Was I ever going to get used to him?

"Great, because I need these good looks for tour." he smiled broadly. "How is our band supposed to bring in crowds if their front man looks like a piece of fruit?"

"So what you're saying is, you pull in crowds based strictly off your looks?" I replied sarcastically, rolling my eyes. "How egotistical of you."

John grabbed a throw pillow from the edge of the bed and looked at me menacingly, narrowing his eyes. "Don't make me use this." I laughed and he broke out into a grin too, lowering his weapon.

"So how long have you been planning all of this?"

"I don't know really...I guess I just got tired of waiting for the right moment."

I was quiet for a few moments, contemplating his words. All the weeks spent worrying over whether he felt the same about me, all the times my face would burn when he caught me staring at him--not realizing that maybe he was looking at me the same way when I wasn't paying attention. Maybe he was watching me like I watched him, and was learning about me at the same time I was trying to get to know him.

The thought was so satisfying it made me break out into a smile that stayed in place the rest of the night, even as we cut all the lights out and laid in bed side by side, talking about everything until we both drifted off to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello lovelies!
This is just a dumb, mushy filler with not much happening--except in the beginning.
How is everyone? I'm just ready for this semester of school to be over with, tbh.
Don't be afraid to comment and tell me what you think! (I don't bite and I can take constructive criticism!!)
-L :)