Lone Wolf.

Wild Evermore.

I wake up to the sound of the birds and groan, instantly rolling onto my side to block out the light. I'd just gotten back a few hours ago from Bartlett. I don't know what made me think it was a good idea to spend the whole night trailing through the forest. I hadn't wanted to leave and return to my mediocre bed. That's how it's been the past few nights; I always found an excuse to stay when there really were none.
Lately I've been spending more time at the lake than I had as a human overall. I had the ridiculous hope that maybe she'd come back. Not that it mattered if she did; I had to keep my distance.
I sigh, rising from the mattress to start the day. I had band practice with the guys for a couple hours, but I didn't know how I was going to find the energy for it. Just the thought of having to go sing and play all afternoon seemed like a drag and made me feel tired.
Maybe I just need to wake myself up, I think as I shred off my shirt. I could do without it.
A morning run would do me some good.
Once I take the quick drive down to Bartlett lake, I shut off the ignition in my usual spot. It was far enough out for it to be out of sight for anyone that didn't know the path I took.
I shimmy out of my jeans and chuck them aside, rolling my shoulders before bracing myself. It didn't take much focus to change, especially when my body demanded it, but the pain still stung like a bitch. My bones condense, shrinking until I'm on my four limbs. I leave my clothes by the back tire as I take off sprinting. This is more like it.
The low tree branches rustle when I run past and I leap over a log, feeling them brush against my fur. It was such a freeing feeling.
Once my paws skim the water, I dip my head down to wet my dry mouth. Shit, I forgot to eat breakfast. I, for one, wasn't planning on growing accustomed to catching squirrels for meals. I could always head back and find a diner-
"I knew you were an early riser," a voice chuckles and I instantly snap around, baring my teeth and growling. My ears perk back up as I realize whose voice it really was.
Leaning against a tree, Serena eyes me curiously, her hands in her lap. She smiles. "Hi again."
I watch her cautiously even though she isn't trying to make any moves. What was she doing here? How'd she know I'd be at the lake? I can't help but wonder how long she'd been here, and how often.
"I didn't get to thank you," she mumbled, her hands in her lap. "You really saved my skin the other day."
I was about to "speak" when I realized it probably wasn't smart to confirm her suspicions. She'd pieced together and figured out that I was a human, and that was something I was less than comfortable with.
Cocking my head to the side, I observe her as I would a wild prey.
She rolls her eyes. "Save your tricks, boy. You act way too normal to just be a wolf."
I stare at her in astonishment. How was she so calm with a wild animal less than ten feet away from her? Did that not intimidate her whatsoever? It could have been any wolf, not just me.
My eyes don't tear away as I slowly approach, crouching as if to attack. If she wasn't scared, then I'd make her.
A growl rumbles in my throat as I snarl. She raises an eyebrow but she merely tugs on my ear. I jump back with a light yelp as my ears twitch, shaking my head.
"You're like a big fluffy puppy," she giggles and I blow air out through my nostrils, huffing. Well at least I knew she was comfortable with confronting a possible life threat.
Did she recognize me that easily? Was it because I protected her the other night that she wasn't afraid of what I was?
"You don't have to hide," she says in a soft voice. "I won't tell anyone if that's what you're worried about."
Serena holds out her hand and I step back a bit, looking at her curiously, trying to find whatever her intentions were in her eyes.
"Go ahead," she whispers and presents me her palm. I lower my head slowly, taking in her scent. I didn't need to sniff her hand to remember the smell; it's been imprinted in my brain ever since we encountered.
I lick the back of her hand sheepishly, causing her to chuckle. "What a gentleman."
When I pull back, I stare at her in silence. I knew I could trust her not to tell or try and harm me in any way, but a part of me still couldn't let her in. I hated that I felt so drawn to her when my instincts were telling me to run the other way. But I'd already made that mistake the first night and I'd been losing sleep ever since. If for now, she was okay with just meeting her halfway, maybe along the road I'd allow myself closer.
Sitting on my hind legs and stomach across from her, I rest my head on my paws, succumbing to her. Okay, Miss Clever, you know my secret, now what?
"You know I've been waiting to see when you'd come around," she sighs, loosening up now that I had and resting her elbows on her knees. "I wasn't sure how often you came here, so I usually tried in the afternoon. When that didn't work, I stayed a few nights. I finally hit the jackpot."
I look up at her as she tucks some of her dark hair behind her ear. She'd been searching for me? I thought I was just insane sticking around looking for someone who'd made so little yet so much of an impact on me.
Her face lights up, her eyes piercing mine. They were such a beautiful blue. "Have you been waiting for me, too?" she asks hopefully. Quickly masking her enthusiasm, she clears her throat. "I mean, not that I care, I just-"
I whine lightly at her and put on a dogish grin. Oh, yeah. She digs me.
Serena rolls her eyes. "Don't look so smug. I just...wanted to know more about you. What it is you do when you're a wolf. It seems so carefree." She runs a hand through her hair before playing with a patch of grass. "What's it like? Does it just, like, takeover?"
I shake my head, wishing I could roll my eyes. She probably thought I was a werewolf. If that was true, I wouldn't be in plain daylight like this.
"This would be easier if we could actually talk," she sighs, a smirk teasing her lips. I stand and huff as I turn to the lake. No way. Aside from the fact that I'd be naked, there was no way I was transforming in front of her. I don't care how badly she wanted to know.
"John," she whispers and like that I'm under her whim. I look over my shoulder where I see she's gotten up and was making her way over to me. She sits in the same spot from before, right next to me as she peels off her shoes and bites her lip. "I don't expect you to put your guard down for me or anything."
I look over at her as her toes skim the water. "I just wanted to get to know you," she explains, chuckling. "As a person or wolf, it doesn't matter to me. But whoever you define yourself as, that's who I wanna know."
She reaches out to touch my fur, and I don't flinch away as I might have with anyone else. Slowly placing her hand on the top of my head, Serena scratches between my ears, her eyes looking directly into mine. It was hard not to say no to them.
A smile grows on her lips as she reaches her other arm out, massaging my ear. "Your ears are so cute."
I huff, pounding my paws into the ground in disapproval. She giggles. "I'm sorry! They're just...look at them!"
I shoot her the best glare I can manage as a wolf while she continues to knead my ears. they weren't even floppy. I reach up and push her arm away, whining. Dammit, I'm not a puppy.
She flicks one before scoffing. "You're no fun."
I snap at her hand halfheartedly. I'd never actually bite her, but it was my only way of communicating while I was in my wolf form.
"So what do you usually do out here? Chase squirrels?" She gasps. "Oh my gosh, is that what you eat out here?"
I cry out the same way I would a groan. That's disgusting. I'm not an ani-
I don't eat squirrels.

"You're not a wild dog at all. You're so friendly," Serena muses, petting my fur again. I had to admit, it was nice to feel her touch again.
Her fingers continue to lace through my fur a while longer until I rise to my height and head towards the path to my truck. "Where are you going?" she asks, pulling her feet out of the water. I turn back to her and shake my head, stomping on the dirt and signaling for her to stay put. A moment later, I reach my truck and stretch, forcing my muscles to go back to their normal state.
I let out a sigh once I'm back on my own legs. Facing her as a wolf was easy; as a human man, not so much.
I slip my clothes back on and walk back through the trees. My head was slightly reeling, overwhelmed with strength of scents and sounds.
As I arrive at the lake, I find Serena standing waiting for me. Her back is turned so I don't think she's even aware.
"Looking for something?" I ask smugly and she jumps. She relaxes as I walk over to her, sighing. We were probably no less than five inches apart.
"Hey," I mutter awkwardly. This was so much less intimidating when you had sharp teeth and claws.
She smiles sweetly at me before reaching out to touch my cheek. I bite my lip as her thumb caresses my skin, eventually moving up to ruffle my hair. I chuckle. "Fond of the fur?"
"Yeah, honestly," she chuckles, smirking. "I like the fur better. Your hair is greasy."
I scoff and shake her hand away. She really wasn't afraid to speak her mind.
But I kinda liked it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooooooo this happened. I felt encouraged and was very strongly encouraged by some fellow writers/friends to give it a shot at continuing. Not really sure if it'll go anywhere, just enjoy the cuteness :P