Status: newp

Top Floor

part seven™

Running through the door, I apply another layer of lip-gloss. I really need to get some more makeup, I think to myself. I’m way too plain. Suddenly, I see a familiar Bentley sitting on the curb of the apartment complex. I frown my face. Uh-oh. Don’t tell me…
The window winds down, showing me Colt’s perfect face.
“Get in,” he tells me.
I open my mouth to say something, but quickly close it and walk over slowly into his car.
“Good morning,” he smiles or smirks, I’m not quite sure.
“M-morning,” I stutter.
“What would you like for breakfast?”
“Um, no thanks. I’m fine,” I wave.
“Are you always this shy?” he grins.
I press my lips together, feeling the wetness of the gloss. I decide not to answer and just look out the window. The leather seats are soft and new. I click my seatbelt in. He drives over every speed limit that exists.
“Tell me about yourself,” he says.
“Like what?”
“Where you’re from? Any family?”
I bite my nail, “Oh, I’m from North Carolina.”
It’s quiet before I hear Colt grin some more.
“That’s it?” he glances over at me.
“I’m not interesting,” I quickly counter, feeling annoyed somehow.
“You’re very interesting to me,” he comments.
In my ear, it sounded odd for someone like him to say anything like that. My stare shifts over to him. He then glances at me again, locking onto my eyes. His lips transforms into a vicious smile. He brings back his eyes on the road, once the light turns green.
“What made you come to New York?”
“Um,” I sigh, “It was a dream of mine. My dream didn’t include debt and dead-ends. So, I was in for a real shock, once I got here.”
“Don’t you have family to help you out, or a boyfriend?”
I shake my head. I just met this man. I don’t want to spill my whole life story to him. But it’s hard to dodge his questions.
“Unbelievable. An attractive girl like you all alone in New York… Hard to believe.”
My face heats up at his sudden words. Why is he throwing compliments at me? I’m far from attractive. Anyone who’d see me would know I’m alone. They would say ‘oh that girl sure doesn’t have a love life’. So, who is he kidding here? I refuse to make eye contact with this man. He’s lost his mind.
“Aren’t we going to work?” I ask.
“I only work when I want to, love.”