It Was Always You

Sugar

My combat boots clicked against the tile at the college. I was minutes away from receiving my diploma in private and heading to Santa Monica in the morning for the start of my new job. Interscope Records called me and personally payed for all expenses to come work for them. All I needed to do was get the official graduation paperwork and i was gone and out of this dreadful place.

"Miss Banks! Congratulations." Mr. Andrews smiled and shook my hand. "Are you all packed and ready to go?"

"Of course." I smiled and adjusted my jacket sleeve.

Aver about 20 minutes of paper signing and chatting before I walked out the front doors to freedom.

California here I come.

~~~~*~~~~

"I can't believe you are leaving me." James threw himself on my bed and wiped a fake tear away.

"You have Drew. You two will be fine." I smiled and went back to packing up all my records.

"Yeah but he hates shopping. Who will I shop with?!" Another dramatic flop. His brown shaggy hair hit his eyes making him sigh even more.

"You will be able to come and visit. It's not like I'm going to Mars or something." I placed the last record in the box and took it out to the living room where the movers were taking everything to their U-Haul. "There is this cool thing called technology. So Skype, Facetime, texting, calling, anything is possible."

"Okay smart ass." He hugged me for the one hundredth time and kissed my cheek. "I'll miss you love. If you don't have an album recorded in the next year i am personally coming there and going ape shit. Okay?"

I just laughed and hugged my best friend for the last time before saying my goodbye and leaving the apartment we have shared together for the past 4 years. I climbed into my car and followed behind the movers. Leaving Washington was going to be hard but I needed out of there and this was what I needed to fulfill my dreams.

~~~~*~~~~

I threw on my shoes and looked in the mirror. My stomach fluttered all around almost stopping me from leaving and making me change for the fifth time. I forced myself to lock the door to my condo and walk down to the busy sidewalk of Santa Monica. I looked down the street about a block and saw my future. There stood Interscope Records. I let my feet take me down the street. And it seemed like it took hours just to reach the doors. A man appeared and opened them for me.

"You must be Miss Banks." The tall older man smiled.

"Call me Audrey." I smiled back and he led me inside and into the room where they were all waiting. In front of them was their soundboard and a huge window where another group of men sat with their backs to us as they talked and laughed.

"Audrey!" A younger man came up and shook my hand. "My names Grayson. The man that brought you here." he smiled and led me to my seat where I signed a few papers and they got me set up and ready for the band to play.

"Alright guys, go ahead!" Grayson called over the speaker.

The men stood up, got their instruments ready and the singer turned to face us last. I about gasped out loud when I saw who it was. There stood Adam Levine of Maroon 5. He stood there in all his tattooed glory and smiled at us. "Which one do you want to do first?"

"Sugar." Adam smiled and with the Okay from Grayson they started.

I'm hurting, baby, I'm broken down
I need your loving, loving
I need it now
When I'm without you
I'm something weak
You got me begging, begging
I'm on my knees

I don't wanna be needing your love
I just wanna be deep in your love
And it's killing me when you're away
Ooh, baby, 'cause I really don't care where you are
I just wanna be there where you are
And I gotta get one little taste

Sugar
Yes, please
Won't you come and put it down on me
I'm right here, 'cause I need
Little love and little sympathy
Yeah you show me good loving
Make it alright
Need a little sweetness in my life
Sugar
Yes, please
Won't you come and put it down on me

My broken pieces
You pick them up
Don't leave me hanging, hanging
Come give me some
When I'm without ya
I'm so insecure
You are the one thing, one thing
I'm living for

I don't wanna be needing your love
I just wanna be deep in your love
And it's killing me when you're away
Ooh, baby, 'cause I really don't care where you are
I just wanna be there where you are
And I gotta get one little taste

Sugar
Yes, please
Won't you come and put it down on me
I'm right here, 'cause I need
Little love and little sympathy
Yeah you show me good loving
Make it alright
Need a little sweetness in my life
Sugar! (Sugar!)
Yes, please (Yes, please)
Won't you come and put it down on me

Yeah
I want that red velvet
I want that sugar sweet
Don't let nobody touch it
Unless that somebody's me
I gotta be a man
There ain't no other way
'Cause girl you're hotter than southern California Bay

I don't wanna play no games
I don't gotta be afraid
Don't give all that shy sh-t
No make up on
That's my

Sugar
Yes, please
Won't you come and put it down on me (down on me!)
Oh, right here (right here), 'cause I need (I need)
Little love and little sympathy
Yeah you show me good loving
Make it alright
Need a little sweetness in my life
Sugar! (Sugar!)
Yes, please (Yes, please)
Won't you come and put it down on me

Sugar
Yes, please
Won't you come and put it down on me
I'm right here, 'cause I need
Little love and little sympathy
Yeah you show me good loving
Make it alright
Need a little sweetness in my life
Sugar
Yes, please
Won't you come and put it down on me


His voice sounded different. More captivating.

"Audrey? What do you think?" Everyone looked at me.

"W-Well, the lyrics are great. The sound is great."

"Any changes?"

I thought for a second. "Do you think I could go in there?"

"Um sure."

Kalvin opened the door to the other room and all of the band just stared at me. My cheeks turned a little pink and I walked over to the drummer. I told him quietly to try something different and had them start again. This time with just the slightest tempo change it sounded even better.

"Well boys I think we got a good one." Grayson smiled at me through the window and I smiled back shyly.

i went to walk through the door again but Adam stopped me with a gentle hand on my wrist. "Who are you?"

I smiled; "Audrey." and I walked back into the other room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well guys I haven't wrote in a long time so i'm going to be a little rusty. So just bare with me!

~Megan