Sequel: 12 Years of Secrets
Status: active

Untangle Me

Walking The Line

A flash of green shot past me as a killing curse just missed my head. I'd have been more scared if adrenaline wasn't pumping around my body. Instead I shot back spell after spell, some hitting the Death Eaters that surrounded me. I was alone at my flat and it was inevitable that I would be kidnapped or murdered at this rate.
I ran to my bedroom, locking the door behind me. Within seconds it was blasted off of its hinges across the room.

"Confringo! Bombarda! Reducto!" I yelled each spell after the other, aiming my wand and hoping for the best but I had lost a lot of blood and my body couldn't handle it.

A spell hit me in the head and I knew that I was about to die. I wasn't ready, it didn't feel like my time but here I was lying slumped on my bedroom floor, losing consciousness quickly. There was banging and then silence.
I could vaguely hear voices as a pair of strong arms scooped me up. I tried to get a look at them but my body felt weak and I passed out as soon as I attempted to lift my head.

••••••••••••••

I was walking through Diagon Alley but it was different to how I knew it. All the shops were boarded up, whispers and eyes followed you as you walked. I turned into Knockturn Alley and was ambushed by men in masks firing spells at me. I searched for my wand all over but couldn't find it. Trying to weave in and out of their spells as I turned an ran but it was no use. I was surrounded. I was screaming and fighting them off when I woke in a sweat, my scream dying in my throat.

I was in a bed, I didn't know where but I was sure I was in for more trouble. I searched around for my wand and found it on the bedside cabinet next to me. Surely Death Eaters wouldn't allow me my wand? My body ached, I was tired from all the fighting I had just done. It wasn't new to me, there just wasn't usually that many Death Eaters, and I wasn't usually alone. My mind jumped back to my attack in scattered fragments and I mourned the loss of my first flat. Destroyed by Death Eaters. This thought made me only more determined to keep on fighting. I hoisted myself out of bed, gritting my teeth as pain shot through my body. I wasn't sure where I was, but I followed the corridor until I came to a set of stairs. I went down them following the voices I could hear talking in hushed tones.

"Do you think she'll be alright?"
"Only time will tell the extent of the damage, but my guesses are that it will be more psychological than physical."

I opened the door, wand raised and ready for another attack but none came. Instead I was greeted by the faces Sirius and Dumbledore. I lowered my wand and relaxed.

"Ahh, Miss Potter!" Dumbledore smiled serenely. "So wonderful to see you awake and on your feet none the less!"
"Good to see you too Professor." I replied honestly. He really had no idea how much I meant that.
"You must be frightfully tired, but if you don't mind I'd like to discuss matters with you?" he asked.

I replied with a nod and followed him into the kitchen. He conjured up two cups of tea and gestured for me to sit down which I did so obediently.

"Now, Ophelia could you tell me what occurred this afternoon?"
"I don't know," I admitted. "I must have been followed. I don't know how, I was so careful! I'd barely stepped foot inside my flat when I was attacked. I held them off as long as I could and then I blacked out. They destroyed everything.." I wept.

I reached up to touch my forehead where the spell had hit me. It was bandaged but as I ran my fingers across it a horrid burning pain seared through my head.

"I see. Luckily for you, Mr Black was worried about you being late for The Order meeting today and coerced your brother into checking up on you. You are very lucky he did, Ophelia. Just a second longer and you'd have been dead." Dumbledore explained in his calming voice.
"And what about the Death Eaters?" I asked.
"Most managed to escape but a few are currently in Azkaban, awaiting questioning and a trial. Now we have more pressing matters at hand; your accommodation. This house shall be your new home. I took the liberty of transferring the remainder of your surviving objects here already. Since you are a target for the Death Eaters, I've decided for you to live with Sirius for the time being. Two wands are better than one after all."

I groaned loudly. As though my day couldn't get any worse, they were trying to have Sirius babysit me.

"Please professor, I'm capable of looking after myself." I pleaded.
"I'm sure you are, but it is for my own piece of mind, and your brothers also, that you remain here with Sirius; at least until you are well again which could take some time. Your duties will be cut down until you are at full strength."
"But professor you can't!" I begged desperate for a way out of this.
"Ah, but I'm afraid I can. Now there shall be no more discussions. Your tea is getting cold, Ophelia dear. Do drink up." smiled Dumbledore looking at me over his half moon spectacles.

I drank my tea in silence, I was infuriated but didn't have the energy to show it so instead I sat there glaring at Dumbledore as he smiled at me. I felt like a child being punished for someone else's crime. I had been randomly attacked, it was the first time something like this had ever happened so why was I being punished for it?

"I hope you know that Sirius loves you very much. Do try and get some sleep."
Dumbledore said as he magicked away the empty tea cups. "I shall be keeping an eye on you too, Miss Potter. Goodbye."
"Bye professor." I muttered.

Dumbledore playing matchmaker and my bad mood wasn't helping my pain in anyway but I didn't care. I sat there frowning taking in my new surroundings. There was a few of my things here, stuff that hadn't been blasted apart by Death Eaters. I didn't want to see it, any of it and so consumed by rage I began to smash things. I didn't care what it was, it was useless now. All just tainted with bad memories. I was screaming and crying and I didn't care. Nothing was helping except breaking my possessions.

A pair of arms grabbed me an spun me round. I looked up to see Sirius looking down at me, worry written all over his face. Instead of trying to fight him, I gave up and went limp. My outburst had used the little strength I had regained whilst unconscious.
Sirius carried me over to the bed and tucked me in. Without saying a word he flicked his wand and cleared away all the broken glass and mess I had just made.

"Where's James?" I asked shakily. I was still crying though nowhere near as heavy as before.
"Dumbledore sent him and Lily to headquarters to let them know what happened. It's not safe for him to come back until morning but he said Lily said to give you this for pain." he explained and pointed to a large bottle that had a purple liquid in.
"Oh." I mumbled.
"I better let you rest then." Sirius said and placed a light kiss on top of my head. I grabbed his arm before he could leave.
"Sirius?"
"Hm?"
"Stay with me. I'll feel safer with you. Please." I asked, feeling emotionally and physically weak.
"Okay." was all he replied as he pulled off his t-shirt and jeans and crawled into bed next to me.

He lay on the edge of the bed, careful not to touch me but right now contact was what I needed. I needed to know he was there with me and that I was safe. I reached out for his hand and laced our fingers together giving his hand a gentle squeeze.

"Sirius?"
"Yes?" he whispered.
"Thank you."