The Perfect Combination

Chapter 24

"A little more to the left" Lia comments as she watches me re-paint the nursery.

I looked at her as she chew’s her muffin and she shrugs as if nothing is wrong.

"Are you sure these paint fumes aren’t harmful to the twins" I ask trying to get her out of the room.

"Nope" she answers swiftly while reaching for a packet of chips.

I roll my eyes at her as she continues to eat to her hearts content. I can’t help but smile at this because over the past few days Lia’s attitude towards how she looks has changed and she is slowly getting comfortable with her pregnancy body.

"You shouldn’t quit your day job" she comments, disrupting my thinking.

"Why? I’m a fairly good painter" I say while admiring the wall I am currently painting.

"Well Mr. Painter" she says as she stands up and heads for the door "You’re using orange paint but the other walls are pink" she says while laughing and she walks out.

I got off the step ladder to inspect the room and I can’t help but burst out laughing as well when I release she’s was right. 3 of the four walls are pink and the one by the window is orange.

*

After a 4 hour second re-painting session I finally descended the stairs, having finished the nursery.

"There’s my hard worker" Lia jokes as I walk into the living room. "Finally figure out the difference between orange and pink?" she questions as she raises an eyebrow and smirks.

"Yes and no thanks to you" I answer as I let out a tired sigh.

"Why don’t you go upstairs and take a nap? Iker will be here at six to fetch you" she tells me, reminding me that I have a game later on tonight against Barcelona.

"Come with me?" I comment seductively.

"Ooh Mr. Ramos, are you trying to seduce me?" she says playing along while standing up from the sofa.

"What if I was?" I ask as we begin to walk up the stairs.

"Well you better find some magical powers to undress me and make love to me when I’m almost 8 months and 3 weeks pregnant" she answers when we reach the bedroom. She sits on the bed with a thud and I notice her reach for her belly.

"You okay?" I say as I sit next to her and rub her belly.

"Yeah, just a little kicking" she say, playing the pain off.

I lay flat on the bed and encourage her to lie on my chest. I begin to rub her back as we lay in silence.

"I’m nervous" I admit as she draws circles on my chest.

"So am I" she admits, knowing exactly what I’m talking about.

"But we’ll be fine though" I say reassuringly. "If anybody can ace through parenthood it’s us"

She laughs at this before I begin humming her favorite song and we both drift off to sleep.

*

"Thanks for coming" I say as my mom and Lia’s mom come through the door.

"No problem honey" my mom answers as she gives me a kiss on the cheek.

"Where’s Nati?"

"In here" Lia answers from the kitchen.

We all follow her voice to the kitchen, where we find her tucking into a tub of ice cream.

Both our moms give her a hug before they take a seat at the table.

"I see you’re finally enjoying your pregnancy" my mom comments, referring to the ice cream.

"Yeah. I figure I’m already having the man’s children so there’s no need to really maintain my appearance" she jokes while looking at me.

"Oh you’re so very funny woman" I say while nudging her.

Right then Iker’s car horn sounds and I know it’s time to leave.

I grab my bag from the upstairs bedroom and came down to give all three women a kiss.

"I love you" I say when I get to Lia.

"I love you more" she answers back, when I turn around she slaps my butt.

"Go make mama some money" she jokes and we all burst out laughing.

When I get to the car I’m still laughing at Lia’s comment and Iker gives me a strange look.

"You ok man?" he asks, but I know he just wants me to tell him why I’m laughing.

"Yeah, Lia just did something funny" I answer cryptically, just wanting to postpone the suspense.

"Well you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want too" he says as he starts the engine and he begins driving.

I roll my eyes at his comment before I start telling him the story.

~

Once we get to the Bernabua, we are confronted by screaming fans who are riled up to see us take on our arch rivals.

This is a big game for both clubs as the winner of the game will be two games away from winning the title. And despite my impending fatherhood, I somehow manage to focus all my attention on the game because due to my position as one of the four captains, I know the players look to me for guidance.

After an hour at the stadium, and a brief warm-up, we are finally in the tunnel and ready for kickoff.

Iker gets the nod from the referee to start walking onto the pitch but before I can follow him, Aitor Karanka pulls me out of the procession and takes me back to the dressing room.

"What the hell?" I say, getting angry that he has yet to tell me why he pulled me away from the team.

"You need to change. Right now" he says while heading to my locker and throwing my clothes at me.

I drop them on the floor.

"No. I’m going out there and unless you have a good reason why I can’t leave, I’d appreciate it if you don’t stop me" I say as I head towards the door.

"Natalia’s in hospital" he says and my face turns pale as I start to go through all the worst case scenarios in my head. "Her water broke. She’s in labor" he states as he hands me my clothes so I can change.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...