A Little Sweetness in My Life

I Don't Like Hockey Boys

“I would rather fall in a ditch than go out tonight.” I said as Kylee followed me to my room, where I collapsed onto the bed. She had been trying to convince me to go to this dinner with some hockey boys since they all left the hospital. Two things; One, I was tired as hell. Two, I don’t like hockey players.

“Oh come on! Please! It’ll be fun; we won’t be out too late, I promise.” She begged, standing at the foot of my bed.

“You know how I feel about hockey boys, Ky.” I muttered in an irritated tone, making her huff and cross her arms over her chest.

“They’re nice guys, Katie. I can definitely attest to that.” She said. I stayed silent, staring at my ceiling before she then grabbed my ankles and yanked me to the edge of the bed. “We’re going, get ready and don’t be pissy!” She practically skipped away, now that my feet were on the floor.

I grumbled and huffed my way to the shower, where I started washing away the hospital and some stress, making myself a human again. I got out and picked out something to wear before I started everything else. Once I finished my hair and face and got dressed, I pulled on my shoes and headed out into the living room, where Kylee was texting someone. She looked up and grinned at me, texting again quickly and then grabbing her car keys.

“Shut up…I know you wanna say something but just….shut up.” I said, holding a hand up to her as we headed to the car. She just laughed and shook her head as we got in and started heading to dinner.

We ended up at a local place, not as crowded as usual as it was a Thursday night. Kylee said we were early as we got our table and ordered ourselves drinks. I ordered my bottle of beer and took a good swig as soon as it arrived, making Kylee shoot me a look, which I gladly returned to her. She was on her phone again, making me peak to see who she was texting. She moved her phone away quickly and pushing me back to my seat, as I had been leaning across the table to look.

“You totally like that Ryan kid….” I teased, sipping my beer again. She nearly choked on her drink when I said that, making me crack up in laughter.

“No way! We’re just friends, that’s it.” She said, shaking her head and wiping up some of the drink that she spit out in her shock.

“Uhhh huh….” I said, leaning back into my seat.

“Don’t try to push him on me, you know I think you two would be cute together.” She said, pointing a finger at me.

“And I told you, I don’t like hockey boys, and you know damn well why.” I said, pointing back at her. She sighed, shaking her head and looking over at the door and smiling, standing and waving. The two hockey boys appeared, saying hello. Ryan sat next to me while the other one sat next to Ky.

I shot Ky one last look before pulling out my phone and starting to play Trivia Crack. I couldn’t even deal with this right now and I needed something to focus on, as they were all busy talking amongst each other. My beer finished and I couldn’t spot our server. I excused myself and made my way over to the bar to order one. As I waited for the bartender, felt multiple pairs of eyes on me, then there was a hand on my shoulder, making me jump slightly. I looked over and I wanted to run out of the room.

“Hey! Katie, it’s been forever! How’ve you been?” My ex-boyfriend, Rob, said. He was smiling and leaning against the bar next to me. I felt sick when he smiled, sending a shiver up my spine in fear.

“I’m fine…” I replied quietly, wishing the bartender would just hurry up with my drink.

“Haven’t seen you after any games lately…did you stop working with the athletic center?” He asked, sipping on a beer he already had.

“Yeah, I had to focus on clinical work.” I said, looking around a little. Of course, his group of friends were there. I sent a nervous glance towards Kylee, hoping she would sense something was wrong.

“Bummer….I miss you around.” He said, trailing a finger down my arm. I drew my arm back to my body and thanking god that the bartender came over with my drink. I handed her my card and waited for her to swipe it. Rob continued talking but I tried blocking him out, my knuckles turning while as I gripped the bar top so I didn’t pass out. Fuck…god help me.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)

Katie