Status: active

Air M'Aman

I

Peinlich, Portree, Highland IV51, UK

June, 2015

"Are you excited miss?"

The cab driver glanced backwards to Ariela in the backseat and swiftly returned looking at the A87. Ariela was brought out of her musings outside the cab window and smiled at the tender old man. Earlier, in the stages of small talk, Ari explained to the driver that she was visiting all the castles of Scotland as a graduation gift to herself. Receiving a Bachelors in History with a focus on Gaelic/ Celts called for such a gift. She remembered her mother shaking her head at her daughter’s nerdiness during the heartwarming send off at the airport.

“I know it might not seem like it. But I’m nearly bursting at the seams. I’ve always dreamed of doing something like this.”

The driver smiled, “Nah, miss. Everybody just has different ways of expressing themselves.” He reassured her with his Scottish brogue. Ariela found it odd that she was so friendly with the driver, usually she wasn’t forthcoming with strangers. But he was nice and respectful, so she gave him the benefit of the doubt and hasn’t regretted it yet.

“If you don’t mind me asking but you seem like a nice girl, you don’t have friends that could’ve joined you?”

Ariela stared at the rearview mirror and opened her mouth before she found the right words; Mr. Driver thought that he offended her and quickly tried to remedy it. Ariela could only sigh and smile at the kind cab driver as he stumbled to get the right words out.

Ariela chuckled, “Nice or not; loners don’t really have a lot of chances to make good friends that’ll travel to the middle of nowhere to look at rocks older than their grandmother.”

She looked down at her hands, already fiddling with her high school class ring. A nervous habit she obtained when she started wearing it at eighteen. She contemplated whether she should answer Mr. Driver’s silent question pertaining to if there was more to the story than just her antisocial nature. Ariela gave up fiddling and glanced out the window, noticing it was already getting dark outside.

“I had a sweetheart.”

Mr. Driver was caught a little off guard, considering he thought the conversation to be over. He was almost scared to ask what happened, but he didn’t want to leave her hanging there.

“What happened?”

Ariela could her the timidity in his voice, which different the jovial tone he used before. He knows this is dangerous territory and how Ariela reacts to it will set the mood for the rest of the ride and his tip. Ariela didn’t feel like blowing up though; it was late, she’d been traveling all day and all she wanted to get to her hotel bed. If she was honest with herself, she figured that if she did blow up at the driver it would be uncalled for and make her feel guilty.

So Ariela put on her strong face, “He died. Before I graduated. This was his last gift to me.” Ariela just realized another reason why she didn’t want to burst in a fit of tears or rage; because she’s already done so quite extensively.

Mr. Driver cleared his throat, “My condolences.”

Ariela turned away from the window with a sleepy smile on her face, “Only reason I wanted share was because you’ve been a gentleman so far. The more I say it, the easier it is remember it’s real.”

Mr. Driver grunted, “Usually, it’s the other way around.”

“Oh, you misunderstand me. I need to remember because if I catch myself forgetting that he’s gone, it hurts significantly more when I realize that he is.” Ariela turned back to the window, fearing the tingle in her nose that usually led to watery eyes.

“That’s so profound for someone so young.” His tone wasn’t nervous anymore, but it wasn’t cheerful either. It sounded to Ariela like he understood her rationale more than he’d like. She turned back to the front, fearing that she had made the nice man sad or mad but as soon as their eyes connected in the rearview mirror she saw the understanding and knew that nothing more needed to be said. They spent the rest of the drive in a comfortable silence that Ariela appreciated since waking up so early in the morning only to be surrounded by stinky and loud strangers until she met Mr. Driver.

“Here we are.”

Ariela was startled out of her dream of the Highlands as she realized that she fell asleep during the silence. She inhaled as she sat up in the back seat to glance outside the front window and inspect the lodge from the exterior. Her passenger door opened to reveal Mr. Driver’s cheerful face again, “Out you go.” He already had Ariela’s luggage out of the trunk and held his hand to help her out of the car. When she stepped out into the night air caught a hint of sea breeze and knew she was in the right place.

“Cool.” She turned to the driver and gave him a big grateful smile, “Thank you so much. For everything.”

Through the darkness, Ariela could see the light twinge of pink ride onto the old man’s cheek. “Bah.” He waved his hand in a modest dismissal. “Think nothing of it, darlin’.”

Ariela shrugged, “Well, in any case. Here ya go.” She handed him the fare with a more than reasonable tip and walked off with her luggage before he could protest.

Ariela rang the doorbell since it was so late, she didn’t want to scare the owners for a first impression. The door opened showing a tired and worn looking old woman, “Yes?”

Ariela didn’t know if it was because of the late hour or lack of sleep that made the woman so short with her already but she ignored it.

“I’m checking in.”

The woman inspected her as if to check that she wasn’t a lying vagrant and sniffed when she was done.

“Alright.” The lodge owner moved to the side of the doorway to let Ariela through the threshold. It wasn’t until Ariela was completely that she saw Mr. Driver motor off back home.

The crinkled frog waddled to the front desk and opened the guest book and grunted, “Just so you know, check in is at three.”

Ariela lifted her left eye brow and glared at the wrinkly toad, “Well, when I booked the room I mentioned that I was going to arrive late in the night. I was assured by that person that it was acceptable.” Ariela’s tone said everything she really wanted to say. Which was basically, ‘Don’t give me attitude because your staff is too incompetent to relay a simple message.’

The speckled amphibian glanced above her reading glasses and turned the guest book around towards Ariela’s direction. “Sign.” The amphibian sniffed again, which made Ariela think that it was a signature miffed indicator; but she signed either way and picked her bags to follow the Lissamphibia up to her room.

“Room three. Good night.”

The tetrapod vertebrate’s actions were just as short as her words and tone. As soon as Ariela saw her waddle back down the hallway to what she guessed to be the owner’s living quarters, she put the key into the door and threw herself onto the bed and passed out immediately.

The next morning greeted Ariela with a whiff of sausages and the low hum of chatter and life downstairs. It helped her remember where she was and she jumped off the creaky twin bed with a squeal. Ariela ran to her connecting bathroom and took a lukewarm shower but Ari didn’t make a fuss; she was glad the water had some semblance of warmth rather than freezing cold. Ari checked on the weather still in her towel and balked at the high; 56 degrees Fahrenheit is not her idea of summer but what could she do but still look cute. So she slipped on her Green matte rolled sleeve blouse, with khaki skinnies, socks and her favorite tribal lined combat boots; topped it all off with her toggle hooded coat with pockets. Ari really wasn’t one for makeup but she was in a new place and had the time and patience to line her milk chocolate eyes with a turquoise liquid liner and mascara. With Chap Stick on her lips, Ari made her way down to the breakfast table. The chatter had died down since Ariela woke up and now there were only a few guests out and about in the living room or dining room.

“Good morning, lassie.” Ari turned to her right to see what she guessed to be the owner’s son leaning against the doorway connecting the living room and dining room together. He was cute, when Ariela thinks someone is cute, they’re usually really cute. She straightened her back, looked the man in the eye and smiled congenially.

“Good morning…”

He caught on to her silent question for a proper introduction and swiftly apologized, “The name’s Tom. I didn’t know we booked an American.”

Ariela cocked her head to the side in confusion, “It matters?”

Tom smirked into his coffee, “It does when they’re as beautiful as you.”

Ariela chuckled, “That was smooth. I’ll give you that.” She walked by him to the dining table wagging her finger in his direction.

Tom finished his sip of coffee and scoffed, “That’s it? That was on point.”

Ariela scrunched her forehead and looked at him, “I wonder, is your neck sore?”

He looked beyond confused but played along anyway, “No. Why?”

Ariela smiled at him, “Must be rough having to carry all that ego up there.”

Tom looked like he was about to piss himself, he was so embarrassed he fell for something like that. He bit his lips and closed his eyes to turn away as he heard the beauty laugh at his discomfort.

“Alright.” Tom straightened up and put his hands up in surrender. “You’ve bested me.”

Ariela was stirring her coffee by that and looked at him again, “Wasn’t difficult to begin with, but ok.”

Tom grabbed his chest as if he was wounded, “Why don’t just castrate me?”

“Thomas Alexander! What are you doing, talking about such things at the table? You weren’t raised in the barn! We have guests out. Honestly, boy. How are you my son? All your father, you are.”

Tom’s mother was the toad from last night. And if Ari was being honest, the ragged look from last night had not changed with a nights rest.

“Awe, mam. Sorry. I wasn’t thinking.”

“No, obviously you weren’t.”

Ari was sipping her coffee when the La Grenouille noticed her presence at the table and seemed to remember her coolness from last night.

Her fake smile said it all, “Good morning, Ms. Castillo.” She didn’t even try to pronounce Ari’s name correctly, as if to solidify the ‘foreigner’ title in front of her son.

Ariela was so used to the racism in America that she didn’t pay any mind to the La Rana and calmly said good morning back. der Frosch noticed she wasn’t about to get a rise or an attitude back from her guest that rolled her eyes and stomped her way back into the kitchen.

Tom looked guiltily back at Ari, “Sorry, about her. Ever since da left her for someone younger, she’s had a stick rammed up her arse.”

Ari shrugged, “Well, you put it like that she has every right to be bitter.” Ariel got up as she finished her cup. “But that doesn’t excuse her from insulting her guests and giving bad service.”

Tom tried to justify his mother’s actions towards the stables.

“She just doesn’t like the really foreign guests.”

Ari laughed, “Tom. That’s everybody!”

He groaned and opened the stable door for Ariela, “I know that. I’m just sorry she had to pick on you. “

Ariela chuckled dryly, “I highly doubt she’ll be the last one to use me as a punching bag for whatever reason.”

Before Tom could register her double meaning, Ariela looked around for her mount. She didn’t what she was looking for but she did know that horse had to choose her first somehow. They didn’t have to wait long as a young Clydesdale filly neighed towards Ariela.

“Ah, Sugar’s a sweetheart. She’ll lead you straight and true back home if you get lost.” Tom smiled as Ari gave Sugar some cookies she nicked from the breakfast table earlier. “And now she will forever nag you for treats.”

Ariela giggled, “You won’t hear any objections from me. Help me with her.”

Together they saddled Sugar and packed enough snacks and refreshments for both horse and rider.

“Now, you sure you don’t need me to come with you? I can just do whatever I need when we get back.” Tom didn't hide him looking nervous letting Ari go alone into the highlands.

“Relax Tom. If I get lost I have my phone with good signal, GPS, and a compass app. There can be no way I can’t find my way back.” Ariela knew she might get lost, but that was all part of the journey and adventure. She also knew how resourceful she could be if the circumstance asked for it; so she really wasn't concerned but was flattered that Tom would be worrying for her safety.

Tom wasn't convinced but let her go either way, “If you say so.”

He waved at her back as she galloped Sugar away from the last piece of civilization before the wilderness and the castle ruins.