Status: HIATUS

Left for Dead

When the man comes around

"And I heard as it were, the noise of thunder. One of the four beast's sang 'come and see' and I saw, and behold a white horse." - Johnny cash.

Zombies with blood and flesh hanging out of their mouths surrounded us as we made our way toward the mall. Our bullets pierced the zombies, taking them down like bowling pins. We took out a lot of zombies the closer and closer we got to the mall. The backfire from the shotgun I was using defiantly bruised my shoulder now, my aim was better but I still had to yet become comfortable enough with a gun but at this rate, I'm sure that will happen sooner than later. The odd time I would glance over at Ellis who would reach back behind him, removing the axe he had strapped to the back of him, chopping at zombies who surrounded him in between reloading his gun. I did as he said and stayed close to him as we made our way through hoards of the undead.

"I use to coach a few of these bastards!" Coach roared as he shot down three zombies wearing School jackets. I naturally assumed they were on the local football team. I too recognized a few of the undead that we either shot or sliced down. Nobody I knew personally, but just everyday folk that you'd walk by in local grocery stores or coffee shops. Now... undead flesh eating zombies who failed to make it to any of the CEDA evacuation centers in time.

"Is that what I think it is?" Rochelle asked us as we ran down a flight of stairs outside that led to a parking lot. I looked up at the buildings sign.

"A fucking gun store!" Nick exclaimed as he laughed in happiness, catching his breathe.

"I'm starting to like you people!" He said pointing at all of us as he walked into the store with us following behind him. There was a pile of dead bodies in the far corner of the store. I followed the group at taking a first aid kit, a backpack full of ammunition, a pistol, automatic rifle and a long knife.

"My name is Whitaker, I've barricaded myself on the roof of this gun store. But in my haste, I forgot some Cola!" The mans voice from the intercom interrupted. "So if you guys go get me some Cola, I'll excuse the guns you were about to steal and clear a route to the mall for you" He added.

"Cola for guns, I think this is like the reverse of what my school did." Ellis stated as Nick rolled his eyes.

"Alright lets go get the man some Cola" Nick exclaimed as he opened the back door of the gun store. Fucking stairs, this was the most I've ever worked out in my life. This however, was my chance to prove to the group that I'm not just someone they will have to protect all the time. Pulling out the adrenaline shot I found at the gun store, I quickly stabbed it into my arm and injected my self. I ran ahead of the group and towards the convience store. As I opened the door I sounded off a burglar alarm, A roar of the undead screeched through my ear drums as I did so. I ran as fast as I could to the soda aisle. Grabbing the first case of cola I could see, I ran back out of the store, past my companions who were hollering my name as a huge hoard of zombies ran towards the alarm noise and us.

"Cover me!" I yelled as I jumped up on an abandoned van's hood and over the roof of the van, leaping over a hedge that would have taken more time and more encounters with the undead if I had went around. I glanced back behind me to see my companions running after me, shooting down any zombie that got clsoe to me. My heart was pounding against my chest, my adrenaline was through the roof. I bolted up the stares to where Whitaker had barracded himself.I climbed up the ladder he had placed down for me. .

"Hurry, hurry, hurry!" He insisted as I handed him the case of Cola. He pulled the ladder back up onto the roof immediately after I jumped down.

"Stand back! I'm gonna blow that propane truck thats on its side out of the way!" Whitaker yelled from the roof. Suddenly he used a rocket-propelled grenade to destroy a fuel tanker that was blocking our way to Liberty Mall. We jumped back in shock from the explosion.

"Thanks!" I yelled up at Whitaker.

"Yall be on your way now! Good luck!" He yelled back as he waved us goodbye.

Again at a fast pace we made our way towards Liberty mall.

"What the hell was that kid? You did awesome" Nick asked wide eyed. I shrugged, "Just doing my part" I replied shortly. The others praised me with compliments too.

I was proud at what I had did back there but the sudden eery feeling that took over my body as we walked through the desserted CEDA evac center outside of the mall made me almost sick. I remembered seeing this one on the news, all the lines of people with their families waiting for "Official Instruction".

"You did awesome girl." Ellis started as he caught up beside me. "But you could have been killed..." He trailed as he looked down at the ground.

"I could be killed at anytime, Ellis" I reassured. He stopped in his tracks and looked at me in disbelief.

"Not if I'm around" He stated sharply before running ahead to catch up with Nick.

"Safe room up ahead! Let's get inside!" Nick yelled back at us.

"Liberty mall..." I whispered to myself as I looked around. Here we go.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts and I looked and behold a pale horse, and it's name that said on him was 'Death' and hell followed with him..." - Johnny Cash
♠ ♠ ♠
Another quick chapter for your friday night!
Image