Status: Active, Please be Kind <3

Octoberwood

Chapter One “Arrival”

Chapter One
“Arrival”

I’ve never actually fit in anywhere in life. I’ve often thought of myself as that extra puzzle piece that had no function. No purpose and no reason for being with all the other pieces. I was the girl nobody wanted as far as I was concerned. That was my title. Other kids my age never really liked me for whatever reason they decided in their own minds. Too ugly, or stupid or just a slut, though I’ve never actually had sex in my life. People will always find a reason not to like you at least that was my experience. I took my thick curls that were impossible to tame back into a ponytail. Everyone over fifty always tells me how “lucky” I am to have such beautiful hair. I despise it, and because there is so much of it, I can’t flat iron it on my own.

Changing into my favorite Iron Maiden t-shirt and some jean shorts with my favorite knee high boots. I made my way downstairs and sure enough the inviting smell of Grandma’s French toast filled the room. Grandma raised me from the time I was a baby. My mom ran off with some guy and my dad worked overseas managing a company. We talk on Skype from time to time and email as much as we can, but it’s not the same. Still dad needed to work and he made good money. Grandma didn’t mind taking care of me, but even though she didn’t mind I still made an effort to pull my own weight, being a burden to others is one of my biggest fears. Right next to Abandonment, Rejection, thunderstorms and dentists.

Grandma and I had moved to a new home in Huntington Beach California. I’d be starting school at a new place today. Grandma smiled at me as I started to set the table for breakfast.
“So how did you sleep sweetheart?”
Grandma asked once we were seated and eating the yummy breakfast she cooked. I shrugged giving a half-hearted smile as I took a mouthful of French toast that just melted in my mouth with goodness.

“Alright I guess”.
I said swallowing and taking my glass of orange juice into my hand and bringing it to my lips. Grandma smiled at me giving a slight nod but she looked like there was something important she wanted to tell me. I’ve always been intuitive and sensitive to other people’s energies. Setting my fork aside I frowned at her.

“Is something wrong Grandma?”
I questioned. Grandma lifted her beautiful blue eyes to fix on mine and she sighed lightly.
“Sweet heart. There are things about our family, about your bloodline you need to understand”.
Grandma began to explain, but her explanation was cut short as someone knocked on the door. Grandma turned herself in her seat looking back towards the main hall as another knock came. I wiped my mouth with my napkin getting to my feet.

“I’ll get it Grandma”.
I smiled moving into the hall.
“Krissi! Wait!”
Grandma called but my hand was already on the door turning the knob and easing the door open. As I opened in two men stood there dressed in black suites. They looked like something out of a government movie. The tallest of the men removed his sunglasses looking at me with a serious expression.

“Kristen Caldwell?”
He asked in a serious tone that was dripping with authority. I looked between the two men while something inside me screamed at me to keep my mouth shut. The men reacted quickly drawing guns on me and opening fire. That was when time slowed down and the bullets stopped mere inches from my face. I whirled around to see Grandma holding out her hand at them. An energy radiating around her.

“Grandma?”
I gaped looking between her and the men wondering how this was possible. Grandma stood her ground keeping her palm aimed at the men, her eyes fixed on me as she gave a sorrowful smile that broke my heart. Tears glazed in her eyes.

“Run”.
She commended and as if her words were some kind of incantation I took off running faster than I thought I was capable of. I kept going pushing myself forwards and not daring to look back as gunfire and other strange sounds echoed from behind me. My heart throbbing in my chest as such a fast pace I was sure I was going to die. But I couldn’t stop. I ran until I couldn’t run anymore. As if my legs were no longer under my Grandmothers command I fell to the ground and broke down into tears. I didn’t know what was happening here. Who were those men? How did my Grandmother stop time? As the questions were running through my mind and I muffled my sobs with my hands. I didn’t hear the snapping of twigs behind me until I felt a hand on my shoulder.

I screamed at the top of my lungs whirling around ready to fight for my life when my eyes locked with his. He frowned at my reaction and his hand recoiled as he took a step backwards. As I took him in I started to realize he was around my age, his jet black hair touched to his strong jawline. His rich brown eyes locked with my moss green ones. He was muscular and had tattoos down his arms even across his knuckles. He crouched down studying me before speaking.
“You’re safe, I’m not a hunter”.
He explained inching his hand forwards to me.

I hesitated not taking it.
“M-My Grandma, I need to go back to get her”.
I stammered, He frowned at this and shook his head keeping his hand out to me.
“You can’t, they will have taken her and they won’t let her go. They will use her as leverage to get to you and judging by that information. I’m guessing your Kristen Caldwell”.
I gaped at him for a moment before turning my eyes away from him tears rolling down my cheeks.
“Krissi, please don’t call me Kristen I don’t like it”.
He kept his hand out to me getting to his feet.
“Krissi then, I need to get you inside”.

I was still scared and didn’t know what was happening. He brought me to my feet and keeping a firm grip on my hand that would have normally made me blush with color. Following him through the trees I lifted my gaze to the massive building that looked like something out of a horror movie. It was intimidating and gothic. At the same time beautiful and had an air of magic to it. I looked at him as he led me confidently towards the doors that seemed to open by some unspoken command.

When we walked into the main hall of the building facing the stairway that looked like something out of an old Hollywood movie. The nameless guy turned back to me and sighed shoving his hands in his pockets.
“Welcome to Octoberwood”.
He said in a flat tone like he had grown so use to this place it had become boring for him. Turning on his heels he smiled towards a group of tattooed guys who came into the hall. He gave a wave and went to join them. Stopping in mid step he realized I was still holding his hand. He looked back at me and now I was blushing with embarrassment. He slipped his hand from mine.

“Just wait here, they’ll explain everything”.
He said before going to join up with his friends. The tallest one grinned wildly at me saying something under his breath as the guy who brought me here. I hugged myself standing awkwardly in the lobby of this house. Tears welling in my eyes as that overwhelming feeling of being alone washed over me. Sitting down on the steps I tried to regroup. Tried to figure things out and get myself together. Something my dad always told me to do when I got like this. Dad, I wondered what would happen when he found out what happened? Would he come home? Would we finally get to live like a family?

“Kristen Philomena Caldwell”.
A voice spoke from behind me. I got up fast turning towards the beautiful woman who stood with two other beautiful women who looked just as stunning. The woman who spoke was a blond tan goddess with haunting jade eyes and the body of a fit super model. The woman to her left was shorter and pail with alabaster skin and black hair, her eyes a rich shade of violet. Her body looked like that of a fashion model. The woman to her right was an inch shorter, she had auburn hair and the body of a swimsuit model. Her eyes were a rare shade of royal blue.

Each of them was dressed in robes made up of sheer fabric and silk. They looked like something out of a fairy-tale.
“Welcome Sister”.
The blonde spoke again kissing my forehead lightly. The dark haired girl followed her movements kissing my forehead and smiled at me.

“Welcome Sister”.
The woman with Auburn hair was next to speak after kissing my forehead again.
“Welcome Sister”.
I backed up once this awkward exchange was over. I looked between them not knowing what was happening. Before I could ask a question the blond raised her hand.
“Amethyen please have some tea made for our guest, green tea with milk and sugar”.
She said repeating my rare way of drinking green tea. Then she turned to the other.
“Saphrin please see to it that our new sister’s room is ready and to her liking”.

She continued, both girls nodded and filed out of the room. The woman then turned back to me and ushered me towards a lavish looking Victorian style sitting room. Once we were seated on the velvet royal blue couch she turned to me her hands folded in her lap. Then her explanations began.
“My name is Quartz. I am the center at this Witching establishment. The Center is the end all and be all of her coven. It is here we take in witches and warlocks who need to learn about their people, powers and paths. Your grandmother, Doris Viola Caldwell was a powerful witch, however she was not a deity like myself or like you”.

My head was spinning with all this information but I kept my mouth shut wanting to get the full story before I began asking questions. Since I didn’t want to be stupid and ask a question about something she’d already explained. Quartz continued.
“The men who tried to attack you were Witch Hunters. Just as we have evolved from the days of the trials so have they. Your grandmother is alive however. We would all feel it if one of our own was killed. Word has been sent to your father and I am sure a task force of warlocks and witches will be deployed to rescue her as soon as possible since she is so valuable.”

Quartz finished as Amethyen entered the room with a tray that had a silver tea cup and a clear teacup on it. Setting the tray down she swept a slight bow to Quartz out of respect and took her place standing on the left side of Quartz which put her standing behind the couch.
“This is Amethyen, My left, also my east and the one to whom I trust with my deepest secrets”.

I blinked at her feeling confused.
“Your east?”
Quartz laughed a musical beautiful laugh as she set her tea cup down.
“A Center is her own north and south. She is then meant to choose a Left or East and a Right or West who are in eternal servitude to her. The Left or East is the confidant and adviser always knowing the way forward. The right or West is the protector and guardian. The one to whom you trust with your very life”.
She continued to say taking a sip of her tea.

I took mine and started drinking it too so I didn’t come off as rude. I swallowed and thought of my next question.
“So, am I a witch too?”
Quartz smiled at me setting her tea cup aside turning herself to face me.
“You are indeed, or your legs would not have carried you here on your grandmother’s command. However you are as I am. An ageless deity of magic, witchcraft, healing, elements and the stars. Or M.W.H.E.S. very few are ever chosen by Isis the Mother Goddess of magic and the moon. However you have indeed been chosen”.
I blinked at her feeling a little intimidated by all this. I swallowed hard setting my tea cup aside and turning back to her.

“How can you tell?”
I asked nervously, I kind of didn’t want to know but I knew I needed to know. Quartz turned my hands so my palms were up and traced over them. My lines on my right palm formed the shape of a half moon. I gaped as she traced the lines showing me the shape. My left palm lines was shaped like a star. She traced the lines showing me again. Then held her palms up and this time I saw it. The half-moon on her right hand and the star on her left.
“This has to be a lot for you to take in. finding your way here on your own”.
Quartz said rising to her feet. I shook my head lightly as I looked up at her.
“I didn’t, a guy found me”.
Quartz looked back at me raising her perfectly groomed eyebrows at me as she crossed her arms. I diverted my gaze worried I’d gotten the guy who brought me here in trouble.
“What guy?”
She asked, I sighed lightly shaking my head.
“I don’t know his name. He was just a guy”.
Quartz sat down again placing her hand over mine.

“May I?”
She asked looking at my hand, I nodded not sure what she was wanting to do. But I trusted her. Watching as she took my hand her eyes reflected disappointment. She turned her eyes back to Amethyen and rose to her feet.
“Have Brian and the other warlocks brought to my office. They are skipping classes again”.
Quartz turned back to me and smiled as the other woman Saphrin walked into the room. Turning to Saphrin Quartz smiled and placed a hand on her shoulder.
“Please see to it that our new sister is shown around the grounds and to her room before dinner. She will need to wash up and change into her uniform”.

Saphrin gave a nod and then Quartz turned back to me and embraced me in a kind hug.
“I apologize for not being able to continue your orientation myself. But these Warlocks tend to slack off and ignore their responsibilities. So I must deal with them”.
I nodded to her understanding her reasons. Then she and Amethyen left together. Saphrin smiled at me giving a bow of respect which caught me off guard. I wasn’t really use to the formalities here.

“Please follow me sister”.
She said in a kind tone. I walked alongside her as she showed me around the grounds. The garden, the two large class room buildings that reminded me of Cathedrals. The tower where students hung out after classes and during free time. The dorm buildings which looked like two large estates one for witches the other for warlocks.
We walked towards the back gates which led into the woods. Saphrin turned back to me and smiled.
“The woods are off limits to everyone. Dangerous things live out there and it’s best not to be caught in such a place”.

She turned back to me and smiled.
“Come, your dorm awaits, you have a uniform and everything else you’ll need in your room. The students are divided into Coven’s the most powerful coven here is called Elite. They are our best witches and warlocks. And are expected to hold up the integrity of this school and its students through guards, actions, poise and performance”.
Saphrin explained as we walked towards the building that was the girls dorms. I shoved my hands in my pockets feeling nervous as we walked. If I didn’t fit in outside of this place, the odds of me fitting in while inside this place were slim to none.
“The other covens are “Sisterhood” “Brotherhood” “Children of Night” and “Death Bat Circle”. “
She said trailing off at the end. I smiled to myself at the name.

“Death Bat Circle?”
Saphrin turned to me as we walked up the steps together.
“The boy who brought you here was one of them. They skip classes, slack off, and get drunk and high and well. They are the shame of our institution. I have tried to get Quartz to stop taking pity on them but she always does. They were rejected by their families after their powers started to show. This is the only home they have and Quartz doesn’t’ have it in her to throw them out on the street”.
We arrived at a door that had a golden number 6 above it. I smiled to myself at the number, it was my favorite number. I couldn’t explain why. She unlocked the door and opened it. Inside was a beautiful bedroom and bathroom that suited my tastes perfectly. Saphrin smiled standing in the door way as I marveled at the room. I turned back to her.
“When my grandma is saved, will you tell me?”

Saphrin nodded to me.
“We will let you know. For now wash up and get some rest. Your uniform is in the closet along with PJ’s a gym uniform and a formal dress “.
I nodded to her sitting down on the bed. Saphrin closed the door behind her and I slumped back on the bed. My head spinning with information and worry. As amazing as all this was, I couldn’t think about anything else but my grandma.

I showered and changed into the regulated uniform. A white button up blouse that fit me perfectly and clung to my figure, a black corset belt that I had trouble getting on. And a black lace skirt that I tucked my blouse into feeling like a tool. I untucked my shirt again and turned back to the blazer which was a vibrant shade of red. The breast pocket had an O and a W interlocking on it. Putting my knee high boots back on which actually really complimented the skirt I left my mass of ringlets down and to my shock and amazement. Each curl was perfect. My hair was actually behaving itself.

I turned towards the door as there was a knock on it. As I opened the door I was met by another girl who had vibrant red hair. Her blazer was black. She clasped her hands behind her back.
“Are you ready to go? I’m Emma Hale, the Senior of Elite Coven. Sister Quartz has asked me to escort you to the dining hall.”
Emma was the perfect girl, she looked like the perfect student too. I stepped into the hall and followed her towards the dining hall. We didn’t really talk along the way. I was use to the silence though so it didn’t bug me. Entering the dining hall I felt all eyes on me. The seating arrangements were sorted by covenants which meant I had nowhere to sit. My eyes found Brian’s, the guy who found me and brought me here. He quickly looked away from me while his friends narrowed their eyes.

“That’s the girl who narked on us”.
I heard one of them whisper. Quartz smiled as she met me in the center of the room. Placing her hands on my shoulders like a proud mother she looked out at the room.
“Everyone, we have a new sister that will be joining us. With a new student comes the possibility of a new covenant or she could be placed within one of the existing covens”.
Quartz said as she scanned the room. The students while they remained respectful in their posture I could sense the envy and outrage radiating off of them. Then she raised a ceremonial dagger, I gaped looking from her to the dagger feeling weak.

“It’s alright”.
She soothed as she held the tip to my index finger of my dominant hand.
“It only hurts for a moment”.
A bead of blood dropped from my fingertip into a bowel of water and I got light headed and for the first time in my life. I fainted.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3